>===========================
>The Committee for National Solidarity
>Tolstojeva 34, 11000 Belgrade, YU
>
>The URL for this article is
>http://emperors-clothes.com/articles/chuss/willful.htm
>NATO Willfully Triggered An Environmental Catastrophe In Yugoslavia
>

>by Michel Chossudovsky (6-18-00)
>
>Professor of Economics, University of Ottawa, author of "The Globalization
>of Poverty, Third World Network, Penang, Zed Books, London, 1997.
>
>By using thermal images, NATO was able to identify which of the tanks were
>still filled with toxic chemicals. If NATO's objective were to solely
>disable the plant without the risk of "collateral" environmental damage,
>they could have done it by smart bombing the equipment and machinery. Why
>did they also need to hit with utmost accuracy the tanks containing noxious
>liquids? The "smart bombs" were not dumb; they knew where to go. NATO had
>singled out the containers, tanks and reservoirs, which still contained
>toxic materials. According to the Pancevo plant director, NATO did not hit
>single empty container. "This was not accidental; they chose to hit those
>that were full and these chemicals spilled into the canal leading to the
>Danube."
>The air raids on the Pancevo industrial complex located in the outskirts of
>Belgrade started on April 4th 1999 and continued relentlessly until the 7th
>of June. The Pancevo complex included an oil refinery facility (built with
>technical support from Texaco) and a Nitrogen Processing Plant producing
>fertilizer for Yugoslav agriculture. The petrochemical plant was bombed
>extensively (41 bombs and 7 missile attacks). The bombed areas of the
>complex were less than two hundred meters from residential buildings.
>
>At the outset of the "humanitarian air raids -- in a well-led public
>relations stunt -- NATO had reassured World opinion " that "precise
>targeting" using sophisticated weaponry was intended to avoid "collateral
>damage" including environmental hazards:
>
>"We do everything we possibly can to avoid unnecessary collateral damage.
We
>take it very seriously, work very hard at doing that, spend a lot of time
>planning for the missions."1
>At Pancevo, however, exactly the opposite occurred. "State of the art"
>aerial surveillance and thermal detection systems were not only used to
>disable and destroy Yugoslavia's petrochemical industry; they were
willfully
>applied to trigger an environmental disaster.
>
>At the beginning of the war, workers at the plant had been actively
involved
>in removing toxic materials from the site, emptying several large tanks and
>containers of toxic chemicals precisely to avert the risks of "collateral
>damage." They did not realize NATO was watching them through air-to-ground
>surveillance systems as well as satellite images. Using thermal detection,
>NATO military planners knew which of the containers had been emptied and
>which remained full. How does that work? All objects including the
>containers of toxic chemicals in the Pancevo plant emit infrared radiation.
>A thermal imager from a spy satellite or an aircraft can detect infrared
>radiation and convert its readings into a high-resolution video or snap
>picture.
>
>The thermal imager can detect temperature differentials as small as 0.1
>degrees centigrade which enables it to distinguish without difficulty
>between full and empty containers. The thermal images can be generated from
>a device installed on the fuselage of an aircraft. NATO warplanes were
>equipped with various advanced imaging systems including just such
>infrared/electro-optical sensors.
>
>Moreover, multispectral thermal imaging satellite systems routinely used
>during the Gulf war were also used by NATO in Yugoslavia. Thermal satellite
>images were relayed to the Combined Air Operations Centre (CAOC) in
Vicenza,
> [...]
>report of the Regional Environment Center for Central and Eastern Europe
>(REC) "more than one thousand tons of ethylene dichloride spilled from the
>Pancevo petrochemical complex into the Danube [through the canal which
links
>the plant to the river]. Over a thousand tonnes of natrium hydroxide were
>spilled from the Pancevo petrochemical complex. Nearly 1,000 tons of
>hydrogen chloride spilled from Pancevo into the Danube River"4
>
>Eight tons of mercury escaped from the petrochemical complex spilling into
>the soil. The wastewater treatment plant was also bombed thereby
>exacerbating the ecological impact.
>
>NATO military strategists knew precisely what they were doing and what
would
>be the likely consequences. On April 4, at the neighboring oil refinery,
two
>NATO missiles had hit the refinery's control rooms killing three staff
>members. The strikes set the plant on fire, reducing it to a toxic wreck.
>The objective was not to avoid an environmental disaster but to create one
>(see photos). NATO expected that by ruthlessly bombing Pancevo among other
>civilian sites, they would intimidate Belgrade into accepting the
>Rambouillet Agreement including the infamous Military Appendix under which
>NATO would occupy all of Yugoslavia.
>
>The Greens from Germany and experts from the United Nations Environmental
>Programme (UNEP) as well as other groups visited the plant after the War.
>The UNEP report minimizes the environmental impacts while casually
>underscoring in its main conclusions that Pancevo was an environmental
>hazard before the bombings. 5 The UNEP report is a carefully worded
>cover-up. It downplays the seriousness of the environmental catastrophe,
>while placing the blame (without supporting evidence) on the Yugoslav
>authorities. Tacitly upholding the legitimacy of the Western military
>alliance, UNEP's findings are in overt contradiction with those of other
>scientific studies including that of the Regional Environment Center for
>Central And Eastern Europe (REC) prepared for the European Commission (see
>footnote 4). The complicity of UNEP, a specialized agency of the UN with a
>track record of integrity is yet another symptom of the ambivalent role of
>the United Nations system in upholding the Western Military Alliance.
>

>Smart bomb hit container with meticulous accuracy (Pancevo petrochemical
>complex, March 2000, ÊMichel Chossudovsky)
>

>VCM tank containing toxic cancerogenic chemicals hit by NATO
>(Ê Michel Chossudovsky, March 2000)
>
>FOOTNOTES
>
>Statement of General Charles Wold of the Pentagon, Department of Defense
>Press Briefing, Washington, 12 April 1999.
>Department of Defense Press Briefing, Washington, May 14th, 1999.
>
>Interview conducted by the author in Pancevo, March 2000.
>4. See the report of the REC entitled Assessment of the Environmental
Impact
>of Military Activities During the Yugoslavia Conflict at
>http://www.rec.org/REC/Announcements/yugo/background.html)
>
>5. The UNEP report entitled The Kosovo Conflict: Consequences for the
>Environment & Human Settlements prepared for the European Commission can be
>consulted at http://www.grid.unep.ch/btf/final/index.html
>
>Ê by Michel Chossudovsky, Ottawa, June 2000. All rights reserved.
Permission
>is granted to post this text on "community Internet sites" provided the
>essay and the pictures remain intact and the copyright note is displayed.
>For community postings, kindly send a short message to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>To publish this text on commercial Internet sites, in printed and/or in
>other forms (including excerpts), contact the author by fax
>at:1-514-4256224.
>
>Further reading:
>
>Michel Chossudvosky has many articles posted on emperors-clothes.com. To
>view the list, please go to 'Articles by Author' at
>http://emperors-clothes.com/artbyauth.html Once there, click on 'C' .
>

>Secretary General
>Mrs. Jela Jovanovic
>Art  historian
>===========================

               ------------- *  ENWL (English) * --------
          Ecological  North West Line * St. Petersburg, Russia
                       E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>_________
earthradioTV.com - Alternative News Portal for ecology, politics &
consciousness.           mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
earthradioTV.com MIRROR SITES:
USA     http://www.earthradioTV.com/
CZECH   http://mujweb.cz/www/ecologynews/
UK      http://members.tripod.co.uk/ecologynews/