Sunday, June 25, 2000

Topsham clerk firm against civil unions
By HEATHER STEPHENSON Staff Writer

Calling them "endorsed perversion," the Topsham town clerk says she will not
personally issue civil-union licenses to same-sex couples and she is asking
residents whether the town should defy state law by not making the licenses
available at all.

The law, which goes into effect July 1, states that if a town clerk does not
want to issue the licenses he or she must at least appoint someone else to
do so.

In a memo sent on town letterhead to every Topsham household earlier this
month, Town Clerk Juanita Claflin tells voters she will not issue the
licenses and asks if they believe she should defy the law, resign or appoint
a willing assistant to deal with the paperwork. Most of the responses so far
have urged defiance of the law, Claflin said Saturday, but she has not
decided whether to risk lawsuits and penalties by following the
townspeople's wishes.

"I still have to make that absolute final decision," she said. She has given
townspeople until Monday to respond to her letter. Then she will meet with
the selectboard and possibly hold a public meeting to tell residents about
the potential consequences of defying the law.

"I made the commitment to the people that I would uphold what they said,"
she added. "If they're still of that opinion (after being informed of the
consequences), I'll take my licks."

The civil unions law, passed by the Legislature this spring, conveys most of
the benefits and responsibilities of marriage to committed same-sex couples.
The Legislature considered the measure after the state Supreme Court ruled
that same-sex couples had a constitutional right to benefits equal to those
granted to married couples.

Opponents are seeking a preliminary court injunction to block the new law.
At least one other town clerk, in Tunbridge, has resigned over the issue. In
Waterbury, the town clerk and assistant town clerk also resigned recently,
citing unspecified personal reasons and an effective date of July 1.

According to an informal opinion from the attorney general's office, a
person who is wrongfully denied a civil union license could sue the clerk
and/or the town, seeking issuance of the license and compensatory and
punitive damages.

The aggrieved person could also ask the attorney general's office to go to
court to compel compliance with the law. The Human Rights Commission could
initiate an enforcement action under the state's public accommodations law,
which bars discrimination on the basis of sex or sexual orientation in
places of public accommodation.

Criminal penalties also could be pursued, but probably would not be,
according to the attorney general's office.

Claflin said she had received 67 responses to her letter urging the town to
refuse to issue civil union licenses and see what happens.

Twelve respondents said the clerk should resign and the selectboard should
appoint one who will obey the law, and 11 respondents said a volunteer
assistant should be appointed to issue the licenses.

Claflin said the letter was sent to more than 200 households. The town has
615 voters on its checklist.

Claflin's opposition to civil unions has been no secret since she was
elected in March. When she was sworn in, she inserted the phrase "except to
sell civil union licenses" into her oath of office. At the time Claflin
thought the bill, then being debated, would not pass, she says in her
letter.

"Well, I was wrong … the unthinkable did become law …," she writes. "I stand
firm and unwavering in my commitment to refuse to be a party to this
endorsed perversion based on my Constitutional Rights and personal belief."

William Dalton, deputy secretary of state, said Friday that nothing in
Vermont law allows "modification of the oath" by public officials. But he
pointed out that the civil unions law allows clerks to retain or appoint
assistants to deal with civil unions paperwork.

Claflin said an assistant in Topsham, who she recommends could be available
to process civil union paperwork for one hour a month, would have to be a
volunteer or be paid separately by the selectboard.

"I will not subsidize any salary from my current pay," she writes in her
letter.

On Saturday, she suggested that finding an assistant might be prudent
despite her opposition to the law. "For the good of the town," she said, "I
think that may have to be a possibility."
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/forum/skyline.htm

Bard
No more same-sex 'marriages'.....
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000525/ts/pope_gays_1.html