: Hamas chief threatens to set Israel ablaze

: The Dawn

: Gaza City, June 26 - Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, the spiritual
: guide of the radical Palestinian group Hamas, threatened
: on Monday to set Israel ablaze if the Israeli army
: attacked Palestinians.

: "The ground on which the Israelis walk will be set on
: fire if they try to attack us," said Yassin.

: "The Israelis only understand one language, that of
: force. They understood it during the years of the
: Intifada, in south Lebanon, and I can assure you they
: will feel great bitterness if they try to control the
: Palestinian people or attack them," he said.

: The Israeli army acknowledged on Friday that it had
: stepped up its military presence in the Palestinian
: territories, but denied Arab claims that the move was
: intended to force a "military solution" to the conflict.

: PERMISSION: Israelis will need Palestinian permission to
: enter the West Bank and Gaza Strip after Sept 13,
: Palestinian negotiator Hassan Asfur warned on Monday.

: He stressed that, after that date, "we will not allow any
: (Israeli) citizen to come to our area, which we call
: sovereign, without our permission.

: "We will not allow any Israeli to occupy our country," he
: told reporters.

: Israel and the Palestinians have been negotiating the
: final borders and status of the Palestinian areas, but
: the chief of the self-rule Palestinian Authority, Yasser
: Arafat, announced on Sunday that a Palestinian state
: would be declared in a few weeks.
:                                     Click on The Dawn link at News Plus
:                                     http://www.mantra.com/newsplus
: Israel rejected Arafat's plans to act unilaterally.

: Foreign Minister David Levy told Israeli public radio:
: "It's unthinkable for him (Arafat) to say: 'Give us, or
: we will declare a state at a time that suits us. If
: that's the case, Israel is free to choose its path," he
: added.

: Asfur said: "We know exactly the price if there is no
: agreement (with Israel). It will be difficult, but if you
: don't have any choice, you will protect yourselves."

: Israel has also said it is hoping for a summit with
: Arafat and US President Bill Clinton to wrap up the
: outline of a final agreement with the Palestinians.

: US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright is expected to
: arrive in the Middle East on Tuesday to see whether it
: would be feasible to hold a three-way summit.

: Asfur said, "I don't think the Americans can be fair, but
: we ask them to be responsible.

: "I don't know if Albright will have something in her
: hands. But according to our information, there is nothing
: new from the Americans."

: There is no common ground for a summit, he said, adding
: that the "last chance for such a summit will be in July." - AFP

: Tuesday, June 27, 2000
: Click on The Dawn link at News Plus
: http://www.mantra.com/newsplus
: Om Shanti

: Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used for the educational
: purposes of research and open discussion. The contents of this post
: may not have been authored by, and do not necessarily represent the
: opinion of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright law
: and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

: <A HREF="http://www.mantra.com/newsplus/"><B>Jai's News Plus</B></A>

: Panchaang for 25 Jyaishtth 5101, Monday, June 26, 2000:

: Vikrama Nama Samvatsare 5102 Dakshinaya Nartana Ritau
:      Mithuna Mase Krishna Pakshe Indu Vasara Yuktayam
: Ashvini Nakshatra Atiganda-Sukarm Yoga
:      Vanija-Visti Karana Dashamee Yam Tithau

: Jai's News Plus
: http://www.mantra.com/newsplus

: Hindu Holocaust Museum
: http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

: Information about Hindu life, principles, and philosophy
: http://www.hindu.org
: http://www.hindunet.org

: Information about Islam
: http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

: PayPal is a no-cost service that lets you 'beam' money
: https://secure.paypal.com/refer/pal=mantra%40mantra.com

: For-pay Internet distributed processing
: http://www.ProcessTree.com/?sponsor=17423

: Open a no-cost, no-obligation real gold worldwide money account
: http://www.e-gold.com/e-gold.asp?cid=108077