WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

001062.  Air Force, Civil Air Patrol sign agreement

WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- The Air Force and the Civil Air Patrol signed a new
cooperative agreement July 12 outlining their future working relationship
and providing the service with more control and oversight of its volunteer
civilian auxiliary.

"The agreement and statement of work signed today, along with legislation
now pending before Congress, will establish an operating structure that will
work for CAP, the Air Force and the taxpayers," said Secretary of the Air
Force F. Whitten Peters.  "The big winners should be the CAP cadets and
leaders in the field."

The signing of this agreement, culminating months of negotiations, heralds a
new era for both the Civil Air Patrol and the Air Force according to CAP
National Commander Brig. Gen. James C. Bobick.

The terms of the agreement include enforcement and termination procedures;
program management; financial responsibilities; resolution procedures for
claims, disputes and appeals; reporting of program performance; and
certifications and assurances.

In February, the CAP's national board members approved the creation of a new
board of governors that includes representatives from the Air Force,
Congress, industry and the CAP.

Specifics of the document are detailed in the "Statement of Work for Civil
Air Patrol," which is attached to the cooperative agreement, which begins
Oct. 1 and continues through Sept. 30, 2001.  However, it can be extended
based on the availability of appropriated funds.

The cooperative agreement, along with congressional approval of the proposed
legislation and installment of the new board of governors will result in a
closer working relationship with the Air Force, Bobick said.

"(We) have always been proud of (our) association with the Air Force and the
generous support we've received over the years," he said.  "We look forward
to a long future of carrying out non-combat missions of our nation's
foremost military service."

"This agreement reinforces our commitment to the men and women of Civil Air
Patrol," Peters said.  "It ensures that the long and mutually beneficial
partnership shared by our organizations will continue to grow and improve."

001063.  Next EQUAL set for release Aug. 8

RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFPN) -- The newest Enlisted Quarterly
Assignment Listing of available enlisted assignments overseas arrives at
military personnel flights and on the Air Force Personnel Center's World
Wide Web home page Aug. 8.

This list includes assignments for overseas jobs opening during the April
through June 2001 time frame.

Personnel officials recommend assignment preferences be updated by Aug. 18
to ensure the information is in the computer system before actual
assignments are released on or about Sept. 4.

EQUAL advertises upcoming assignment requirements, by Air Force Specialty
Code and rank, and gives people a chance to update their assignment
preferences to match vacancies that need filling in a particular cycle.
Members should review, prioritize and list specifically those assignment
options available to them on EQUAL.

Separate listings for assignments available at overseas locations as well as
assignments available for those returning from overseas areas are published
quarterly.  Special duty assignments appear on EQUAL-Plus and are updated
weekly.

Military personnel flights and unit orderly rooms will have copies of the
listings and can help people update their preferences.  People who are on
temporary duty during the advertising period should contact the nearest
personnel office for assistance. People can also access the list on the AFPC
home page at www.afpc.randolph.af.mil.    (Courtesy of AFPC News Service)

001066.  Flight engineer named best enlisted aircrew member in Air Force
by Staff Sgt. William J. Seabrook Jr.
16th Special Operations Wing Public Affairs

HURLBURT FIELD, Fla. (AFPN) -- A Hurlburt Field airman was recently selected
as the Staff Sgt. Henry E. "Red" Erwin Outstanding Enlisted Crewmember of
the Year.

Senior Master Sgt. Lawrence Gray is a flight engineer with the 4th Special
Operations Squadron, which flies the AC-130U Spooky Gunship.  Gray is also
superintendent of the squadron, Air Force Special Operations Command's
largest flying squadron, with 178 enlisted personnel.

The award was named for Erwin, who was a radio operator/gunner aboard a B-29
during World War II.  During a 1945 raid on a gasoline production plant in
Japan, a phosphorous incendiary bomb exploded inside the aircraft causing it
to fill with white smoke and the pilot to lose control.  The sergeant picked
up the 1,300-degree burning bomb, carried it to a window and tossed it out,
saving the lives of his 11-member aircrew.  The phosphorus burns he received
from this action continued to burn inside his body.

Erwin received the Medal of Honor for his actions and after more than two
years of hospitalization he was discharged from the service as a master
sergeant.

Gray, 35, was surprised and honored to receive the award.  "When you're
competing against all the other enlisted flyers in the Air Force the
competition is pretty stiff," said the sergeant.

According to his nomination package, the sergeant led crews in more than 335
combat hours providing close air support in the skies over Bosnia and
Kosovo.  He even volunteered to lead the deployment and fly the first combat
missions.

"Deploying with a bunch of airmen to a combat area, leading them in combat
and keeping their morale up, that's what this job is all about," said Gray.
"That's probably the achievement I'm most proud of during the year."

According to Lt. Col. Seth Junkins, 4th SOS acting deputy for operations,
Gray is a professional NCO whose whole career has been characterized by a
commitment to excellence in everything he does.

"He's been outstanding in all aspects of his career," said the colonel.
"Sergeant Gray is one of the most professional senior NCOs I've ever been
associated with.  He's both a warrior and outstanding leader who's been a
valuable asset to our gunship community, and the overall AFSOC community."

The sergeant also received recognition as the 1998 AFSOC Flight Engineer of
the year and was a recent distinguished graduate from the Senior
Noncommissioned Officer Academy.

Sergeant Gray is an 18-year Air Force veteran who possesses a bachelor's of
science degree in aeronautics and associates in flight engineering and an
industrial security. He's married with three children.

001066a.gif and 001066a.jpg
Senior Master Sgt. Lawrence Gray, 4th Special Operations Squadron,
preflights an AC-130U Spooky Gunship.  (Photo by Senior Airman Neil Lynch)

001064.  Hacker exposes computer security benefits
by Maj. Harry Edwards
Air Force Materiel Command Public Affairs

WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio (AFPN) -- Debra Banning sends mischief
and trouble in people's direction every day, and the Air Force pays her to
do it.  She and her staff are "computer hackers" and they are very good at
their work.

Banning spoke at the first Information Assurance Symposium at Air Force
Materiel Command headquarters here June 7.  The symposium brought together
both military and civilian leadership and technicians to work information
assurance issues such as virus protection, cyber attack and security
procedures.

"The very thing that gives the information age its power is also a
weakness...its openness," said Lt. Gen. Charles Coolidge, Jr., AFMC vice
commander regarding the symposium.  "We must provide security, but it must
be tailored for the users, streamlined and transparent."

"Information assurance is the effort to protect and defend our information
and information systems from any form of degradation, to include intentional
attack," said Banning, who works for defense contractor Booz, Allen and
Hamilton.  In her team's simulated attacks, they try to help plug holes in
the Air Force's information networks real hackers exploit.

As the "I-love-you" bug and its close relatives have shown recently, cyber
attacks can be effective and costly.  Damage estimates for this latest round
of viruses total more than $10 billion.  Security experts for the defense
department have identified 11 separate foreign state-run programs that
target U.S. government computer systems.

According to the Air Force Computer Emergency Response Team, cyber attacks
occur every day.  They handled more than 3,700 incidents in 1997.  By 1999,
that number doubled to more than 9,000 incidents.

"This is only a percentage of the actual number of attempts, only the ones
we see," said Banning.  "The number of incidents in 2000 is projected to be
more than 17,000."

Air Force officials at all levels agree information is already a critical
battlefield component.  In times past, decision making might have taken
days, weeks or months due to the speed information needed to make those
decisions traveled.  Today, it is very close to a continuous information
flow which necessitates a continuous decision making process.

Security programs and procedures are the basic tools used to combat these
intrusions.  Senior leadership is aware many people disregard these
procedures because they are inconvenient.

"Some of the procedures we must use to safeguard our information are
difficult to perform," said Banning.  "But all it takes is one individual to
take the 'easy shortcut' and it puts the entire system at risk from cyber
attack.

"If an enemy can degrade our ability to process information and communicate
by attacking our infrastructure or our information, we will be at a great
disadvantage.  And this could mean loss of lives," she said.

Information assurance is critical to implementing the Defense Department
view of the future, as portrayed in Joint Vision 2020, said retired Air
Force Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Thomas S. Moorman, Jr.

"Not only do we want information assurance, we are seeking information
dominance," he said.

This requires everyone to do their part in keeping computer networks,
information and systems secure, said Banning.  And it's not always going to
be easy.

Serious threats to systems are not only external but internal as well.
There are security measures in place to defeat many of the more basic attack
strategies, however users seem to find these procedures "difficult" and
ignore them.  Simple things such as password protection, using anti-virus
software, or opening suspicious email attachments are ignored, and have
caused great problems in the past, according to Banning..

"No single solution will give us information assurance," she said.  "This
effort requires a defense in depth.  We need to employ a multitude of
security mechanisms, at different levels in the enterprise, to protect
against a wide range of attack scenarios.  IA is only achieved through a
balance of technology, people and operational procedures."

This is the challenge, said Banning.

"Computer system users must learn the policies and procedures needed to
protect this resource from exploitation by our enemies," she said.  "We must
use the procedures we have to provide for a continuous decision-making
ability."

Remember, Banning and her crew send mischief and trouble in people's
direction every day, but they are on our side.  But there are others out
there...  (Courtesy of AFMC News Service)

001065.  Designer of A-10 ammo loader revisits Davis-Monthan
by Karen Halstead
355th Wing Public Affairs

DAVIS-MONTHAN AIR FORCE BASE, Ariz. (AFPN) -- Davis-Monthan maintains a list
of firsts when it comes to the A-10 Thunderbolt.  The first production A-10A
was delivered to the base in October 1975.

Davis-Monthan was also picked a year later to test a prototype A-10
ammunition loading assembly.  Unless you work on the A-10, however, you
wouldn't give a second thought to the equipment used by loadmasters to put
ammunition in the aircraft's deadly 30mm cannon.

This is where Wayne Coloney becomes part of Air Force aviation history.
Over the years, Coloney, a former Sherman tank commander in World War II,
has saved the Air Force millions of dollars in man-hours with his creations.

He returned to Davis-Monthan recently along with his grandson, Galen
Minardi, to take a look at how one of his designs -- the GFU-7 ammunition

"I'm very excited to see this assembly in person," Minardi said of his
grandfather's creation.  Over the years he's heard a lot about the different
machinery his grandfather designed and produced at Wayne H. Coloney, Inc.

Before Coloney developed his automated loading system, loading the aircraft
with ammunition was an awkward and cumbersome task.

"The system we had to load the A-10 before the ALA came on-line was
labor-intensive," said Master Sgt. James Rivers, weapons superintendent for
the 355th Operations Group.  "I worked with the old table-loading system
here.  It could take us up to one and a half hours to load an A-10 using the
old system."

It takes 30 minutes at most to load the A-10 with the GFU-7, Rivers said.

Coloney and his small business overcame big competitors to win the contract
for the ALA.  At about the same time Northrop and Fairchild corporations
were competing for the contract to build the A-10, Coloney's corporation and
Emerson Electric were jockeying to design the equipment that would load 30mm
rounds into the GAU-8 cannon.

For nine months, between 1976 and 1977, Coloney and his wife lived in Tucson
while the prototype was tested at Davis-Monthan.  In late 1977, prototypes
from both Emerson and Coloney were tested in a load-off competition at the
Air Force Flight Test Center at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.  Coloney's
design won, and he was awarded a contract for 15 pre-production machines.

"There were 15 other companies working on designs for the A-10 ALA," Coloney
said.  "Of course I was overjoyed when the final outcome pointed to my
little corporation.  My company was the only one in the group that wasn't a
Fortune 500 company.  I only had about 60 employees."

Blue-suiters who weren't well trained on the equipment put it to the test.
"We had to let loaders train on it so we could find the flaws and perfect
the system," Coloney explained.

Seven tries later, Coloney had a unit that loaders could easily operate, and
it worked with few mechanical problems.

Rivers remembers when he first used the ammo loading assembly.  "At first I
said 'What is this -- assembly required?'  But it came complete with an
instruction manual to put it together.  Once we had it together and I saw
the machine at work, I was impressed with what it could do and how much
easier it made our job."

The shorter loading time meant the plane could be turned around faster and
fly more missions.  The plane quickly proved its worth in Desert Storm, not
only as a tank-killer but also as a Scud missile hunter.  The A-10 flew
8,100 sorties and maintained a mission capable rate of 95.7 percent during
the Gulf War.

While Coloney's invention is a little-known piece of the A-10 history, its
impact is still felt.

"Today, we couldn't live without this piece of equipment," said Rivers.
(Courtesy of ACC News Service)

001065a.gif and 001065a.jpg
Wayne Coloney and his grandson, Galen Minardi, get a close-up look as the
ammunition load assembly processes dummy inert 30mm rounds.  (Photo by Staff
Sgt. J. Elaine Phillinganes)

001060.  Olympic-styled games gave challenge to wheelchair veterans

SAN ANTONIO (AFPN) -- In 1989, a lower back injury put Ginger Rhodes in a
wheelchair.  But for four days in early July, Rhodes and hundreds of
wheelchair-bound veterans proved they can do more than most people walking
around on two strong legs.

They have the medals to prove it.

In patriotic style, our nation's birthday marked the beginning of the 20th
National Veterans Wheelchair Games held here July 4-8.  Nearly 600 veterans
from all over the nation -- 74 were Air Force vets -- competed in the
largest annual wheelchair sports event in the United States.

The Wheelchair Games is a multi-event sports and rehabilitation program for
veterans who use wheelchairs due to spinal cord injuries, amputations or
certain neurological problems.  The event is sponsored by the Department of
Veterans Affairs and the Paralyzed Veterans of America.

"With all the pain I've experienced from my injury, I really had to dig deep
inside myself to get out there and try wheelchair sports," said Rhodes, a
novice participant who won six gold medals at the games.  "But I did it.  I
tried it, and it feels great!  This training and competition gives me a
reason to hurt!  Competing in wheelchair sports has given me the most
freedom since these wheels went under me."

Air Force veteran Rhodes, 42, a paraplegic, has been confined to a
wheelchair since a slip on ice while stationed in Alaska started a downward
spiral of lower back problems. The fall left her with great pain,
depression, and life in a wheelchair.

"The Games are more than an athletic experience, they are a life experience.
They form a platform whereby a veteran can jump into a world of change and
adventure, and be a part of it," said Tom Brown, national director of the
NVWG, and chief of recreation therapy service for the South Texas Veterans
Health Care System.

The games' competitive events list sounds like it came straight from the
Olympics:  weightlifting, track and field, archery, airguns, basketball,
softball, rugby, bowling, table tennis, swimming, wheelchair slalom, a
wheelchair rally, and a 5-kilometer road race.  Other field events included
the club throw, shot-put, discus, and javelin.

Athletes competed in events against others with similar athletic ability,
competitive experience or age, and gender.  Exhibition events also occurred,
including cycling on a three-wheeled, low-to-the-ground, multi-speed,
hand-powered bike, and a "Super G" wheelchair slalom event that looked like
a giant obstacle course.

"The National Veterans Wheelchair Games provide both an introductory, and
competitive experience for veterans with permanent physical disabilities,"
Brown said.  "For the newly disabled veteran, the games can open the door to
newfound freedoms and opportunities.  For the returning athlete, the games
provide a quality athletic experience, as well as a chance to influence
those who are starting out.  Healthcare is continually changing, and the VA
continues to lead with new and innovative programs."

Event sponsors are committed to improving the quality of life for veterans
with disabilities, and to fostering better health through sports
competition.  About one-third of the competitor/athletes were novices who
had never before participated in any type of organized wheelchair sports
competition.

"After watching other wheelchair athletes and seeing the amazing things they
can do -- even people who have injuries far worse than mine -- I felt that
my injury was really minimal and realized that I can do this too!" Rhodes
said.

Miss America 2000 Heather French, the daughter of a disabled Vietnam
veteran, presented medals to winners and addressed participants during the
closing ceremony July 8.

The origin of the games has ties back to the World War II aftermath, when
young disabled veterans began playing wheelchair basketball in VA hospitals.
Interest soon spread to other sports such as track and field, bowling,
swimming and archery.

In 1980, the VA established a recreation therapy service, in which
therapists use wheelchair sports as a therapeutic tool.  Then in 1981 -- the
International Year of Disabled Persons -- the VA Medical Center in Richmond,
Va., put together the first NVWG.  That year, 74 competitors from 14 states
competed.

001060a.gif and 001060a.jpg
Carroll Johnson crosses the finish line during the 5000 meter race of the
track and field competition of the 20th National Veterans Wheelchair Games
recently held in San Antonio.  (Photo by Master Sgt. Dave Nolan)

001060b.gif and 001060b.jpg
One of the more popular, and hotly-contested events during the 20th National
Veterans Wheelchair Games held recently in San Antonio was wheelchair
basketball.  (Photo by Master Sgt. Dave Nolan)

001060c.gif and 001060c.jpg
Steven Hirst, Colorado Springs, Colo., returns a shot during the table
tennis competition at the 20th National Veterans Wheelchair Games held
recently in San Antonio.  Mr. Hirst also competed in the discus and shot
events as well as the bowling competition and motorized wheelchair rally.
(Photo courtesy of the Department of Veterans Affairs)

001060d.gif and 001060d.jpg
Marie Ann Henry, Plant City, Fla., takes aim during the air gun competition
at the 20th National Veterans Wheelchair Games held recently in San Antonio.
(Photo courtesy of the Department of Veterans Affairs)

001061.  Participants at the 20th National Veterans Wheelchair Games are all
winners

001061a.gif and 001061a.jpg
SAN ANTONIO (AFPN) -- Competitors race around a local track during the 20th
National Veterans Wheelchair Games held here recently.  More than 600
disabled veterans went head to head in track and field, swimming,
basketball, weight lifting, softball, air guns, quad rugby, billiards,
bowling, table tennis, archery and wheelchair slalom competitions.  Special
exhibitions such as hand cycling and Super G wheelchair slalom also took
place.  (Photo by Technical Sgt. Lance Cheung)

001061b.gif and 001061b.jpg
SAN ANTONIO (AFPN) -- Air Force veteran Carl Cromwell (2nd from left) aims
his recurve bow during the archery event at the 20th National Veterans
Wheelchair Games held here recently.  He went on to win in his category.
Competing at various venues through out the city, veterans faced off in
track and field, swimming, basketball, weightlifting, softball, air guns,
quad rugby, billiards, bowling, table tennis, archery, and wheelchair slalom
competitions.  Special exhibitions such as hand cycling and Super G
wheelchair slalom also took place.  (Photo by Technical Sgt. Lance Cheung)

001061c.gif and 001061c.jpg
SAN ANTONIO (AFPN) -- Joseph Wittkamp slams one into the outfield during the
championship softball game at the 20th National Veterans Wheelchair Games
held here recently.  Competing at various venues through out the city,
veterans faced off in track and field, swimming, basketball, weightlifting,
softball, air guns, quad rugby, billiards, bowling, table tennis, archery,
and wheelchair slalom competitions.  Special exhibitions such as hand
cycling and Super G wheelchair slalom also took place.  (Photo by Technical
Sgt. Lance Cheung)

001061d.gif and 001061d.jpg
SAN ANTONIO (AFPN) -- Air Force veteran James Moore gets ready to send his
ball down the alley during the bowling competition at the 20th National
Veterans Wheelchair Games held here recently.  Competing at various venues
through out the city, veterans faced off in track and field, swimming,
basketball, weightlifting, softball, air guns, quad rugby, billiards,
bowling, table tennis, archery, and wheelchair slalom competitions.  Special
exhibitions such as hand cycling and Super G wheelchair slalom also took
place.  (Photo courtesy of the Department of Veterans Affairs)

A vote for Bush or Gore is a vote to continue Clinton policies!
A vote for Buchanan is a vote to continue America!
Therefore a vote for Gore or Bush is a wasted vote for America!
Don't waste your vote!  Vote for Patrick Buchanan!

Today, candor compels us to admit that our vaunted two-party system is a
snare and a delusion, a fraud upon the nation. Our two parties have become
nothing but two wings of the same bird of prey...
Patrick Buchanan