>On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:57:09 -0500 (CDT) webmaster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>Use of Sarin and Killing American in Laos
>
>Excerpt from General Moorer's July 17th (2000) deposition.
>
>MOORER: "Generally SOG's objectives
>         was to locate personnel such as defectors or
>         Laotian military or track NVA movements within
>         Laos.  Tactics -- I did not get involved with
>         exactly how they did it.  I knew what they were
>         trying to do.  But I was too busy.  I had the
>         Israeli problem to worry about.  I didn't go into
>         detail on exactly how they would do it.  It was
>         not the only such mission of its kind.
>         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>             "Compartmentalization is key here.  I
>
>         didn't even tell General Abrams about when I was
>         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>         going to mine Haifong Harbor because I was too
>         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>         worried about leaks.  That would have been
>         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>         disastrous.  Leaks were always a problem.
>         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>         I can also remember talking about the Christmas bombing
>         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>         with Nixon.  He asked me if there was a leak or
>         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>         not.  And I promised him it wouldn't."
>         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>                              TAILWIND
>
>QUESTION:   Now you had told us before the CIA was involved
>            in this operation.  Was it the CIA's job to track
>            defectors?"
>MOORER:     "Yeah, trying to track defectors was one
>            of the jobs but it had several jobs.  Again, I
>            knew the general overall task on this mission.
>            But I did not know about the tactics."
>
>QUESTION:   But was the mission at hand here to try
>             and kill these defectors, that they were creating
>             a real military problem that had to be
>             eliminated?
>MOORER:     "I told you before that I would not
>             hesitate to use any tactic or weapon to save
>             American lives....One of the breaks we have had in
>             the last" -- "best few weeks is locating several
>             SOG recon teams who were sitting on the ridge line
>             surrounding the village base camp where the
>             defectors were.  They report back to headquarters
>             that there are roundeyes or longshadows in that
>             village.  At least one person we have talked to
>             observing the camp says they were walking about
>             unfettered, freely mixing with locals...."
>QUESTION:    So killing these defectors was the
>             mission?  And it was done to protect American
>             lives?
>MOORER:      "Yes, I have no doubt about that."
>             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>QUESTION:    Why not capture?
>MOORER:      "Well, you would have to examine that possibility.
>              You would have to see to it.....see if it was possible to
>              capture them and bring them out.  If it was
>              impossible, then you can't leave them out there.
> [...]

*** NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material
is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest
in receiving the included information for research and educational
purposes. Feel free to distribute widely but PLEASE acknowledge the
source. ***

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html