-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Ralph Nader's letter to the Sierra Club
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 00:52:10 -0500 (CDT)
From: "THOMAS PALAZZOLO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

Please distribute widely.
----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2000 2:26 PM

[I have reproduced here only the first few paragraphs of this long
letter.  Please visit the web address below for the full text...]

http://votenader.org/press/000608scletter.html

Ralph Nader's letter to the Sierra Club

Carl Pope Executive Director Sierra Club

Dear Mr. Pope:

Thank you for the opportunity to address the Sierra Club's concerns,
which have such an important bearing on the future of this world.
At stake in the coming years is no less than the natural commonwealth
that sustains all life. Over the past 20 years, we have lost
significant opportunities to protect human health, to create a more
prosperous, yet less wasteful economy, and to expand the progress
we have made in safeguarding the biosphere. In particular, the
current Administration, which offered such great initial promise
for the advancement of environmental protection, has largely bowed
to the will of entrenched big business interests at the expense of
human health, biodiversity and the environment. We have lost nearly
eight years, time we could ill afford to waste, given the planet's
pressing environmental challenges. Not only has this crucial time
been lost, but the current Administration has actually made matters
worse by giving the nod to big business in several key areas: global
trade, energy, natural resources, agriculture, and biotechnology.

Corporate-managed global trade, fervently promoted by President
Clinton and Vice-president Gore, seriously threatens the world
environment because it entails the single-minded pursuit of short-term
profit at the expense of long-term ecological life support systems.
Our national energy policy is dismally outdated considering the
projected advancements of twenty-five years ago. Antiquated technology
continues to threaten human health, natural resource supply and
the biosphere, not to mention long-term prosperity. Forests in the
United States and worldwide are threatened as never before, despite
obvious practical alternatives to wood fiber. Small scale agriculture
is being squeezed out by urban sprawl and giant, vertically-integrated
agribusiness corporations. Despite the seriousness of these problems,
given the requisite political will, they are surmountable.

Unfortunately, our politicians-kept afloat by empty rhetoric and
corporate campaign contributions -undermine clear solutions to the
problems raised in your letter (among many more) because as campaign
cash has poured in, their integrity has drained away. Historically,
our government has protected our environment in the United States
that we encourage and nurture this long-standing American tradition.
Yet over the last two decades, our elected representatives have
increasingly turned deaf ears to the hard work of citizen activists
while furthering the agenda of big political patrons-oil, chemical,
mining, timber, biotechnology and other industries-at the expense
of our air, soil, water and the living world.  We must reverse this
trend and reinvigorate our citizen democracy to implement solutions
of which we are all aware, rather than pin our hopes on politicians
indentured to big business and its allies. To this end, I have
entered the political arena.

I hope your questions and my responses, which follow, stimulate
broader and better environmental thinking by candidates for all
elected offices.

<snip>
This is the [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list.  To unsubscribe
send "unsubscribe" to [EMAIL PROTECTED]