from:
http://www.aci.net/kalliste/
Click Here: <A HREF="http://www.aci.net/kalliste/">The Home Page of J. Orlin
Grabbe</A>
-----

Spy vs. Spy

Ex-CIA Spy Offers Cuban Travel

Another dot.com.

THE forbidden fruit always tastes the best—or so Philip Agee, a former CIA
whistleblower, is hoping. He has set up a joint-venture dot.com company with
Fidel Castro’s government to encourage Americans to defy their government by
holidaying on the forbidden island. Now that the United States House of
Representatives has voted to ease the travel ban to Cuba (see article), the
prospect of their actually making the trip seems less implausible.

Mr Agee’s website, called Cubalinda.com and designed for the American market,
offers travellers an “unforgettable adventure”. The thrill, he assured
potential clients ahead of this week’s Havana carnival, would be provided by
the exotic dancers and festival floats, rather than the firm hand of an
immigration official on the shoulder when visitors returned to the United
States after breaking the travel ban against the island.

Mr Agee has been a thorn in the Americans’ side ever since he left the CIA at
the end of the 1960s to write books denouncing the United States for dirty
wars across Latin America. Now he wants to further a rebellion against the
American embargo. “I would like to see people ignore the law,” he says.
“That’s what happened in the 1920s with prohibition; all our grandfathers
were making bath-tub gin.”

As it stands, American law bans the spending of any money in Cuba, rather
than visits outright. Exceptions are made for academics, students, musicians
and others who can get special permits. Some institutions, like Harvard
University, have general licences allowing any member to visit Cuba. “You
could join a photo club in Maine on-line, which has a general licence,”
explains Mr Agee, “and then legally come to take pictures of the carnival.”
The Cubans say that more than 160,000 American citizens visited the island
last year, many of them legally.

Judging by the response to his website so far, there is plenty of potential
interest. Mr Agee says that he got more than 600,000 clicks during its first
three months. Not all the messages were friendly however, particularly those
from exiles in Miami.

Now that the Americans have begun to hint at an easing of the sanctions that
have been in place for the past 38 years, it may be that adventurous American
sorts will feel readier to take the risk right away. Cubalinda insists that
even now there is no real risk for American visitors. “To our knowledge,
no-one has ever been prosecuted for simply visiting Cuba,” it declares. “It
is simply a law designed to intimidate, but it is not enforced.”

As for Mr Agee himself, he makes no apologies for advocating a breaking of
the travel ban. “I stayed away from the United States for 17 years on legal
advice,” he says. “If I find I can’t go back now, it will not bother me in
the least.”

The Economist, July 29-Aug 4, 2000
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,