---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 15:19:16 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Eric Eldred <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Don A. Elbourne Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
    Bookpeople <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cereal maker chokes on CD Bible giveaway

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Eric Eldred wrote:

> > <snip>
> > Cereal maker chokes on CD Bible giveaway
> > http://www.freep.com/news/religion/bible22_20000722.htm
>
>   "An executive from Disney Interactive, who licensed
>   the "Millionaire" software for the CDROMs, told
>   Swann and other partners that the Bible was too
>   controversial. Disney demanded it be taken off the
>   "Millionaire" CDROMs."

As Robin Williams says:

"Never *mess* with The Mouse!"

"Never *mess* with The Mouse!!"

"Never *mess* with The Mouse!!!"

> The Millionnaire CDROM was scheduled to be released without
> the Bible.  The decision by General Mills to stop releasing
> any more CDROMs at all was a surprise to the developers of
> the product.

OK. . .better tell us how to go find a copy in our grocery stores. . . .

>   "Putting Zondervan's Protestant version of the Bible --
>   the New International Version -- in cereal boxes is
>   offensive, said Rabbi James Rudin, the interreligious
>   consultant for the American Jewish Committee in New York.
>
>   ""I eat General Mills products myself, and I don't think
>   it's right for any American to pick up a box of cereal in
>   the morning and feel excluded," said Rudin. "This is one
>   particular version of the Bible they're offering -- and
>   America is multi-religious, multi-ethnic. When
>   Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Taoists and millions of
>   other Americans pick up this box of cereal and look at
>   this Bible -- they are excluded.""

Hey. . .everything the honorable Rabbi ever did "excluded" me,
as far as I can tell. . .what he really seems to be upset about
is that General Mills "included" so many people. . .didn't
"EXclude" enough people not to be worthy of harrassment.
We've been trying to The Torah and The Q'uran and every
other religious document on Project Gutenberg for years,
and have had so much "exclusion" that we haven't been
able to do it. . . .  But we will. . . .

> Why not issue all sorts of books in cereal boxes, so
> nobody feels excluded?  Would that not be better than
> no books at all?

Why not just put in ALL the Etexts out there. . . ?

One DVD should be able to hold nearly all of them
in .zip format. . . .

> When Americans eat "Quaker" brand oatmeal and think it is
> an affirmation of multicultural capitalism without any
> reference to religion one has to wonder about what has
> happened to our world.  But I'll leave the field to the
> folks from Pennsylvania to comment on this now :-)

Now virtually moving back from Lancaster County. . . .

Michael

Speaking for only for Michael