Ex-Clinton official slams Bush and Cheney war records

Former Secretary of Veterans Affairs Jesse Brown asks why "neither one went
to Vietnam, when they were clearly of Vietnam age."

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Jake Tapper

August 02, 2000 | PHILADELPHIA -- As the GOP Convention devoted itself
Tuesday to national security issues, a former Clinton administration
secretary of veterans affairs launched a scathing attack against the enemy
camp.

Jesse Brown, who served in the Clinton Cabinet from 1993 until 1997, slammed
both members of the GOP ticket -- both of whom took steps to avoid being
drafted into military service during the Vietnam War -- for what Brown deemed
inadequate explanations as to why neither served.

"We want to know the circumstance of why neither one went to Vietnam when
they were clearly of Vietnam age," Brown, 56, said in a phone interview
Tuesday afternoon. "Too many people died during that period of time ... for
us not to ask those hard questions."

Brown, who enlisted in the Marines and was disabled by a gunshot to his right
arm in combat near Danang, served as executive director of the Washington
headquarters of the Disabled American Veterans before President Clinton named
him to his Cabinet in 1993. He stepped down in 1997, and is a consultant in
Washington as well as a co-director of Veterans for Gore.

"It appears that there's widespread panic in the Gore campaign," responded
Bush campaign spokesman Dan Bartlett. "It shows you the lengths the
Democratic Party will go to, to attack a ticket that is obviously resonating
with the American people."

Bartlett added that it was "highly hypocritical to attack Secretary Cheney
and Governor Bush when he served for a president who didn't serve in Vietnam
and, by most accounts, avoided the draft himself."

But Brown was careful in his criticism of the GOP ticket. "Both of them are
honorable people," Brown said of Bush, who served in the Texas Air National
Guard, and Cheney, who despite having served as Bush's father's secretary of
defense, five times sought and received three different types of deferments
from military duty throughout the 1960s.

"However," Brown said, "I think it is very, very important that the American
people have a better understanding of their lack of military service during
the Vietnam period."

Clinton, Brown acknowledged, also avoided service the way that many wealthy,
well-connected or industrious white men did at that time. "Absolutely," Brown
said. "And he paid a price for it."

But unlike Cheney and Bush, Brown argued, Clinton's draft-dodging was
thoroughly and comprehensively covered by the media during the 1992 campaign,
when his various obfuscations and manipulations were hashed out during the
primaries.

"Scrutiny of his avoiding the draft became a matter of public record," Brown
said. "Every piece of information became available to the American people ...
And then the American people were able to judge based on all of the facts. We
have a right to know what was in their minds when they were called upon to
serve their nation."

Specifically, Brown asked about a report that first appeared in the Boston
Globe that a one-year gap -- from May 1972 until May 1973 -- exists in Bush's
National Guard service. Having transferred to Alabama to work on a Senate
campaign, he was to have reported for duty at the Alabama Air National Guard.
But no records exist in Alabama of his having reported for duty as ordered.
He was to have reported to Lt. Col. William Turnipseed, but Turnipseed told
the Globe that "To my knowledge, he never showed up ... He was never a part
of my unit."

Bush disputes Turnipseed's account, though he has said that he can't recall
specifics about what he was doing during that time.

"I fulfilled my duty, and I was honorably discharged and I'm proud of my
service," he said in June.

"No one knew where he was," Brown said Tuesday. "How can you be a
commander-in-chief if you are not keeping your commitment to the Houston Air
National Guard at a time when people are still dying in Vietnam? The American
people need a full accounting of his circumstances. It's time for him to come
clean."

Bush spokesman Bartlett replied, "One thing that Secretary Brown needs to do
is to get all his facts straight. Governor Bush met all of his requirements,
and for him to say otherwise is a complete distortion of fact."

Brown then tore into Cheney for saying to a reporter, in 1989, "I had other
priorities in the '60s than military service."

Cheney received four 2-S draft deferments -- granted to students -- from 1963
through 1965 while he was a student at the University of Wyoming. He married
Lynne in 1964, and was thus banned from the draft.

But in October 1965, the Selective Service announced that married men without
children could then be drafted. Exactly nine months and two days later -- on
July 28, 1966 -- his first child was born. Cheney hadn't waited until her
birth before he sought a 3-A deferment classification -- given to those with
dependents. He did so when Lynne was only 10 weeks pregnant.

Cheney's "other priorities" didn't seem much of an excuse to Brown. "As a
former Marine who was wounded and nearly lost his life, I personally resent
that comment," Brown said. "I resent that he had 'other priorities,' when
58,000 people died and over 300,000 returned wounded and disabled. In my mind
there is no doubt that because he had 'other priorities' someone died or was
injured in his place."

Bush spokesman Bartlett responded to Brown's attack by saying that "Secretary
Cheney had received deferments just like many Americans did. He has said that
if he was called, he would have served."

Bartlett called Brown's comments a "desperate attack on the Bush-Cheney
ticket." He pointed out that Brown didn't speak out against Clinton during
the 1992 campaign -- though Brown's silence then, it can be observed, is not
unlike the hush heard now from those Republicans who were once offended by
Clinton's activities during that era.

About the writer
Jake Tapper is the Washington correspondent for Salon News.

Sound Off