WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Computers Tested for Aiding Soldiers

.c The Associated Press

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (AP) - It is designed to make the 21st century U.S. soldier
a more effective instrument of war, a veritable cyborg able to communicate
with more speed and efficiency.

Since early June, 44 soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division have been
experimenting with a prototype system the Army calls the ``Land Warrior.''
Its video cameras allow soldiers to shoot around corners without being
exposed, even call for medical help with the aid of a message system.

``Shooting around corners, through windows, out of foxholes without exposing
ourselves to enemy fire ... this system will allow us to move leaps and
bounds ahead of the current infantrymen on the battlefield,'' said Sgt. John
Petree, who has been using the Land Warrior system since June 5.

Assault weapons are fitted with thermal sights able to zero in on warm bodies
through the fog of war. Computer overlay maps projected through an eyepiece
positioned over a soldier's right eye offers a view of the terrain that lies
ahead. Global positioning systems track the soldier's every step through
forests or jungle and tell commanders exactly where everyone is while a
battle rages.

Chemically treated fatigues keep bugs off a soldier's body and, as a result,
raises the comfort level. A message system attached to the uniform can call
for medical help.

The soldier may use a personal computer, packed in gel and mounted on a
special harness around the waist, to send pictures of the battlefield to
fellow troops so they can prepare for an attack. Those pictures can be
captured with a video camera mounted on the soldier's weapon.

All this is powered by battery packs strapped to each hip like sidearms.

Other gee-whiz features being developed include headset microphones clipped
under Kevlar helmets that allow soldiers to talk to others on the
battlefield.

Those developing the battle uniform say the cost is likely to be between
$10,000 and $20,000 per soldier.

``I believe $10,000, $20,000, the taxpayer is going to understand that when
it helps save the soldier's life and his buddy's life,'' said Lt. Col. Scott
Crizer, product manager for Land Warrior's electronic systems.

The current system is being tested by seasoned soldiers, who are using the
equipment and making suggestions for alterations, said Col. Mike Scaparrotti,
commander of the 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment, which is putting the
equipment through its paces.

``When we come out with the system, it's going to be what the soldier is
comfortable with,'' he said.

In September, the experimental platoon will leave Fort Bragg for Fort Polk,
La., to use the current prototype against other soldiers.

``The concept, the techniques, the equipment we are using here is definitely
where we are going,'' Scaparrotti said.

AP-NY-08-06-00 1202EDT

A vote for Bush or Gore is a vote to continue Clinton policies!
A vote for Buchanan is a vote to continue America!
Therefore a vote for Gore or Bush is a wasted vote for America!
Don't waste your vote!  Vote for Patrick Buchanan!

Today, candor compels us to admit that our vaunted two-party system is a
snare and a delusion, a fraud upon the nation. Our two parties have become
nothing but two wings of the same bird of prey...
Patrick Buchanan