http://www.phillyimc.org/article.pl?sid=00/08/07/1348245&mode=thread

Monday August 07, @01:48PM

The Media is only telling you what they want you to know
By A concerned parent

HE MEDIA IS ONLY TELLING YOU WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO KNOW!
August 6, 2000

Since Tuesday, August 1st several students and protesters of the Criminal Justice
System have been being held in a Philadelphia Jail………Have you heard about this on your
local or national news shows?…….Have you read about this in your local Newspaper?……….
THE ANSWER TO THESE QUESTIONS IS NO!

A group of approximately 75 people were in a warehouse, making signs and preparing a
puppet stage to place a peaceful demonstration of the Criminal Justice System, last
week. This warehouse was surrounded by police (a number almost equaling the number of
protestors inside) for four hours while they waited for a search warrant to be signed.
Why the long wait …….. no proof of any illegal activity taking place inside the
warehouse. The patience of the police department paid off and finally a judge signed
the search warrant. The warehouse was pepper sprayed - the individuals in question
were put on a bus for four hours without food or water with the windows rolled up. The
police (people you want to trust) - proceeded to search this warehouse and could not
find anything to link this group to illegal activity - however in the name of security
they “detained” this group and took them to the Roundhouse in Philadelphia. None of
these people were ever charged or told they were “under arrest”, they were merely
“detained” for 5 days!!

INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH! RIGHT TO MAKE A PHONE CALL! RIGHT TO SEE
LAWYER OF CHOICE! RIGHT TO HUMANE CONDIDITIONS! DENIED!!!!!!

1. OVER 10 HOURS WITH NO FOOD, WATER, MEDICATION, OR LAWYER REPRESENTATION OR BATHROOM
PRIVELEGES. 2. OVER 60 HOURS BEFORE BEING ALLOWED TO MAKE A PHONE CALL 3. ALL OUTER
CLOTHING TAKEN AWAY - LEAVING PEOPLE IN THIN SLACKS AND TANK TOPS

COLD, HUNGRY, SCARED, - Living without medications, living on 2 cheese sandwiches and
1 bottle of water a day these prisoners are experiencing first hand the cruel and
unjust treatment police are afforded the privilege of giving to anyone they so choose.
Anyone that is without the family name, the income, the right connections to demand
their rights be respected…………..

IS THIS HAPPENING IN THE USA, IN YOUR STATE, IN YOUR HOME TOWN, TO PEOPLE THAT YOU
KNOW, PEOPLE THAT YOU RESPECT, PEOPLE THAT YOU LOVE?

THE ANSWER TO THESE QUESTIONS IS "YES, YES, YES"

Before my daughter left for Philadelphia to join in a peaceful protest of the Criminal
Justice System , I sadly must admit that I only half listened to the things she said
she had hear could happen to her. She was to leave on Monday and return on Thursday. I
just insisted that this was the United States of America and we have Freedom of Speech
and laws that protected people - people could not be treated this way – I was so sure
that I was right. How stupid can a 45 year old woman who thinks she is well educated
and well informed feel - MEGA STUPID!

THE TRUTH! My daughter was in a warehouse making puppets for the peaceful
demonstration they intended to have on Wednesday, August 2nd. After the police raided
the building and put her on a bus - they had two dumpsters delivered and destroyed all
the puppets. The report they give to us via their account - no puppets were found -
only wire, duck tape, etc. She has been brought up on 9 separate charges: Procession
of elements of crime, Reckless endangerment, obstruction of justice, obstructing a
highway (the corner where this warehouse is located), criminal endangerment,
disorderly conduct, to name a few.

She and many other prisoners who refuse to give their name (Jail Solidarity)., have
been moved to the county jail. They have done nothing wrong….they will not be charged
with false charges…

If this was not happening to my daughter, whom I know, I respect, and I trust, I still
don’t know if I could believe our government would let this kind of thing happen.

I listened to George Bush tell us he was going to be a president for "all the people"

I read in the paper today: "15,000 reporters, photographers, editors, and producers
traveled to Philadelphia last week…" Why did they not cover any of this?

"Fewer people are watching (the conventions) not only because the conventions are less
interesting, but also because Americans are less interested in politics today" I guess
the reporter who said this did not look around Philadelphia at the many people
rallying for the release of these over 300 people still in jail ----- Did they ever
wonder why all the protesters came to Philadelphia last week? I wonder if they are
interested in Politics?

"….generally agree that conventions are a valuable way to unite activists" They are
talking about the activist inside the Republican National Convention. The ones who
pay, trade favors, etc. to get what they want from the two party system……They should
look at the activist outside - who surely will grow in numbers -

To the people who are still in jail - I support you, I will do everything in my small
power to spread the word to all the innocent, unsuspecting people of my generation,
your generation, my mother’s generation --- I will inform them that we have been wrong
- we have been misled by our representatives, our media, and a nation that jumps to
the defense of people in other countries who are in distress and ignores the treatment
of people of the United States of America. I urge you to go beyond your thinking and
ask questions - seek the truth. Many of you will receive this letter from me
personally - you know my daughter - you know she does not lie - To those of you who do
not know us personally - at least ask why you have not seen and coverage of this in
any paper, on any TV. We must begin to ask "What is going on?"

I cannot sign this letter because I respect my daughter’s right to solidarity - I
would love to have her home - make her warm - feed her well - and surround her with
people that love and care about her - but until that happens I will fight for her
right to Freedom of Speech, her right not to accept False Charges, and her right to be
a better American for standing up for what she believes in - I am the proud mother of
one of Philadelphia’s newest prisoners.

PLEASE PASS THIS ON - LET’S INFORM OUR NEIGHBORS - LETS STAND TOGETHER!!!!!!!

*** NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving
the included information for research and educational purposes. Feel free to
distribute widely but PLEASE acknowledge the source. ***
The end is in the means as the tree is in the seed.
- Mahatma Ghandi
Abraham Lincoln, letter to Wm. F. Elkins  Nov. 21 1864
Arthur Shaw ed.  The Lincoln Encyclopedia  40  {1950}

"We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war is nearing
it's end.  It has cost a vast amount of treasure and
blood.........It has indeed been a trying hour for the
Republic, but I see in the near future a crisis approaching
that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety
of my country.  As a result of the war, corporations have been
enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will
follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to
prolong it's reign by working on the prejudices of the
people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the
Republic is destroyed.  I feel at this moment more anxiety
for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the
midst of war."
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html