>From July 24-27, 2000, the International Society for Animal Genetics (ISAG) held a
>conference in Minneapolis. Animal rights activists planned actions against this event
>and spread the word. "Stop the Mad Scientists!" declared grainRAGE (the Upper Midwest
>Resistance Against Genetic Engineering), an organizer of the protests. Minneapolis
>Police Chief Robert Olson, working with the FBI, made an armed camp of downtown,
>assigning 700 officers to duty that week, and bringing in suburban police officers,
>county sherrifs, and state patrol. The fundamental rights of speech, assembly, and
>movement were regularly suspended during this period. During a July 24 march, the
>riot-geared policing force boxed in activists and used pepper spray and clubs against
>them. Eventually, 80 protesters were arrested.

Later that night, the Sister's Camelot house, where some activists congregated, was
raided on the pretext of drugs, and eleven people were arrested on charges related to
the day's protest. The police violated the terms of the warrant, beat the activists,
seized their property, and thew them in jail for the night. A week later, charges were
dropped against all but one, revealing the incident for what it was: state sponsored
political intimidation.

Naturally, the local media provided almost universally inaccurate, valueless and
biased coverage of these events. But regular reports flowed into the Independent Media
Center--telling the story the big guys are paid not to tell--and you can read them
here.

http://minneapolis.indymedia.org/

the attachment is of an officer launching a pepper spray attack - you can look her
right in the eyes here...

*** NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving
the included information for research and educational purposes. Feel free to
distribute widely but PLEASE acknowledge the source. ***
The end is in the means as the tree is in the seed.
- Mahatma Ghandi
Abraham Lincoln, letter to Wm. F. Elkins  Nov. 21 1864
Arthur Shaw ed.  The Lincoln Encyclopedia  40  {1950}

"We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war is nearing
it's end.  It has cost a vast amount of treasure and
blood.........It has indeed been a trying hour for the
Republic, but I see in the near future a crisis approaching
that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety
of my country.  As a result of the war, corporations have been
enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will
follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to
prolong it's reign by working on the prejudices of the
people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the
Republic is destroyed.  I feel at this moment more anxiety
for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the
midst of war."
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html

pepperspray.jpg