http://www.magicnet.net/~jza/news.html

August 8, 2000

   Anarchist Black Bloc Press Release

Statement from R2K Black Bloc

We, the various members of the Anti-Statist Black Bloc (ASBB) put forth the following
statement in the wake of the Philadelphia Police Department's blatant misinformation
and the corporate media's biased reports against us. The ASBB advocates the building
of an organized movement against corporate and state tyranny in America. We recognize
that poor and working class people have lost control of their communities and
individual lives. The Democratic and Republican parties clearly support social
relations in which this is furthered. By supporting the death penalty, militarism,
corporate welfare, and the cutting of social spending, amongst others, they have
proven to be political parties of profit over people as all parties have. By
organizing black blocs and using direct action, we confront this intolerable and
unacceptable system.

As anarchists we believe private property is theft, state property is a tool for the
protection of corporate interests and that both must be destroyed for the creation of
a society based on mutual aid and individual liberty. By spray-painting a wall we
transform the way we think of it from a conception based on monetary value to one
based on practicality. In a system that is concerned only with profit we make our most
effective protest when we hit the oppressors in the pocketbook. Property damage, as
one form of strategic direct action, is an effective way to achieve this goal. This is
not just a theory ... this is a fact. Since the actions of the black bloc in Seattle
against the WTO, a running debate about global capitalism and democracy has finally
entered the public discourse. We are on the brink of a new social revolution.

At yesterday's protest, members of the ASBB specifically targeted police and other
government property. The ASBB did NOT attack "mom & pop" businesses, or personal
property. Remember that there are other organizations and associations that work
autonomously with similar tactics. The can only be responsible for OUR actions. The
ASBB disavows any responsibility for damage to the personal property of working class
and "mom & pop" businesses.

The second most misconstrued tactic of the ASBB is the wearing of masks. Since the
exposing of COINTELPRO, it has been plainly obvious that many government organizations
have been monitoring and disrupting radical organizations. This is a threat to our
personal safety and liberty. In this sense, we wear masks for our protection. We do
not wear masks to threaten or intimidate the public. Wearing masks also sends the
message that we are in solidarity with each other as equals. We look forward to the
day when we can live in a society where we won't have to wear our masks.

We also stand in solidarity with all the other brothers and sisters who came out to
protest yesterday. We are NOT terrorists and we are not an isolated group. We
represent a diverse coalition of different races, genders, classes, and political
viewpoints that are truly interested in creating a meaningful democracy and fighting
the real terrorists: corporate America and the police State. For it was not us who
bombed an entire city block, destroying homes and countless memories. It was not us
who shot dead Robert Brown. It was not us who brutalized Thomas Jones to a bloody
pulp. All these actions are the responsibility of the defenders of private property,
the Philadelphia police. We encourage all oppressed peoples to organize for active
resistance against power and privilege. Onward to Anarchist social revoilution!!!

*** NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving
the included information for research and educational purposes. Feel free to
distribute widely but PLEASE acknowledge the source. ***
The end is in the means as the tree is in the seed.
- Mahatma Ghandi
Abraham Lincoln, letter to Wm. F. Elkins  Nov. 21 1864
Arthur Shaw ed.  The Lincoln Encyclopedia  40  {1950}

"We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war is nearing
it's end.  It has cost a vast amount of treasure and
blood.........It has indeed been a trying hour for the
Republic, but I see in the near future a crisis approaching
that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety
of my country.  As a result of the war, corporations have been
enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will
follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to
prolong it's reign by working on the prejudices of the
people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the
Republic is destroyed.  I feel at this moment more anxiety
for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the
midst of war."
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html