From:               "Karen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                 "Kenny-Richey-Campaign@Egroups. Com"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:            Articles from Edinburgh Evening News
Date sent:          Fri, 11 Aug 2000 18:39:31 +0100

http://www.edinburghnews.com/
vote for retrial for Kenny here
Friday and Saturdays articles from Edinburgh Evening News.

SATURDAYS ARTICLE

Kenny Richey pg10 by Karen Torley
IF you had asked me five years ago who Kenny Richey was, I could have told
you he was on Death Row in Ohio, but little or nothing about his case.
But then something happened to change all that * in April 1995, British-born
killer Nicholas Lee Ingram was executed after 10 years on Death Row in
Georgia.
The death of this man really disturbed me, because the stays of execution
went on for days and days, and then they electrocuted him anyway.
Until then, I had never really thought about the death penalty. I had heard
about Kenny, and I knew that he said he was innocent. But I thought: *They
all say that * these guys wouldn't be on Death Row for nothing.*
After Ingram's execution, I wrote to Kenny because of my opposition to the
death penalty. I believed that they would kill him too, so perhaps I could be
a friend to someone who was going to die.
For a long time, Kenny and I never even discussed his case, but then I began
reading bits about it in various newspapers. Kenny was convicted of starting
the fire which killed two-year-old Cynthia Collins in Columbus Grove, Ohio in
1986.
The prosecution said he had been trying to kill his former girlfriend and her
new lover who were sleeping in the apartment below. But slowly new pieces of
evidence began to emerge that cast serious doubt over his conviction, which
was based on circumstantial evidence.
The one thing that stuck out to me was that the carpet removed from Hope
Collins' apartment was put in the dump and left there for 36 hours, before
being rolled out in front of petrol pumps. That caught my attention and made
me look more and more into the case.
As the case began unfolding through all the information I received from
Kenny's attorneys, I began to get very angry. How could this be? How could he
have been convicted on this evidence, never mind sent to Death Row?
I knew I had to try to do something, but did not know what I could do. I knew
that if I did not do something I would never forgive myself if anything
happened to Kenny. After reading the facts of the case I could not simply
pretend I had not seen it.
I have worked so hard for so many years to get Kenny's case out into the
public eye. I believe once people really see what went on, they too will be
outraged and angry.
Working on this campaign has been the most painful thing I have ever
experienced in my life. The frustration of trying to get people to listen and
see this terrible injustice at times has me pulling my hair out, as does the
frustration at the slowness of American *justice*.
Kenny is innocent, why cannot they see this? What are they scared of? Why
won't they admit they made a mistake?
I have looked and looked at this whole case over and over. I could understand
if it was one minor detail we were disputing. But we are disputing many, many
serious errors here, yet they refuse to acknowledge this fact.
Many times I have felt like giving up on it all, but I cannot walk away from
Kenny like that. He needs me and this campaign * the campaign is his
lifeline, his hope.
The articles which the Edinburgh Evening News have published this week have
been truly great. It has given us so much hope that people will now join the
campaign to have a retrial for Kenny.
We need people to write letters to authorities in Ohio. They want to kill
Kenny. We need the public outcry other campaigns have had. I am begging
people to become involved in whatever way they can.
People from all over the world are reading the Edinburgh Evening News online
and following this story. The support and feedback from Evening News readers
so far has been overwhelming. I thank each person who has signed the petition
asking for a retrial for Kenny.
Kenny has called me to find out how the articles turned out. He had me read
them to him over the phone, and he is so excited that people from home are
finding out the truth on the case.
He like me, knows when people see what has happened to him, they will get
involved and help. Media have always asked me about Kenny and I, but I always
refuse to discuss personal matters. The most important thing is that Kenny
gets justice and is freed from that hell-hole he is in. He calls it his
nightmare, and it is a nightmare that I would never wish on anyone.
One day I will go over there and bring Kenny back home where he belongs.
Karen Torley is co-ordinator of the Kenny Richey Campaign. She can be
contacted via email on [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ends
FRIDAYS ARTICLE

Not everyone in Ohio believes Kenny Richey is guilty. Jennifer Veitch meets
the nun fighting for justice for the Scot on Death Row.
SISTER Alice Gerdeman prays for Kenny Richey, just as she prays for the lives
of the other 199 men awaiting Ohio's executioner.
She has never met the Scot who has spent the past 13 years on Death Row for a
crime he insists he did not commit. Yet one day the quietly-spoken nun could
help to save his life.
Sister Alice will not be relying on divine intervention, but a growing
network of campaigners against the death penalty in Ohio.
A vehement opponent of capital punishment, Sister Alice is one of the state's
leading and most active campaigners for its abolition. She is vice-chair of
Ohioans To Stop Executions, a coalition of anti-death penalty groups who
organise rallies and vigils to try to turn the tide of public opinion.
Sister Alice says she would be against Kenny's execution even if he had
started the fire which killed two-year-old Cynthia Collins back in 1986.
However, the nun has grave doubts that he is guilty, unlike the majority of
Death Row inmates.
*I just think the death penalty is wrong,* she says simply. *If Kenny was
guilty I would still think that * his guilt or innocence would not be
relevant.
*However, I think there is grave doubt about his guilt. Clearly there were
irregularities with his case.
*When you take away my total abhorrence of the death penalty, he deserves
that his case is looked at.*
Sister Alice is one of 36-year-old Kenny's many supporters in Ohio helping
the international campaign for a re-trial that would allow new evidence to be
heard that the fire was started accidentally.
The nun, who works at Cincinnati's Intercommunity Justice and Peace Centre,
believes a combination of political pressures and small-town prejudices have
brought about his wrongful conviction.
The 53-year-old grew up in Kalida, Putnam County, just a few miles from
Columbus Grove, where Cynthia died. Sister Alice believes that the death of a
child in such a close-knit community could have prejudiced Kenny's case.
*Most of the people there are thoughtful, intelligent, caring people, but
they are also frightened of crime,* she says.
*They are not tolerant of such things as drugs or drinking, although drinking
beer is almost an official pastime. They believe in their court system, and
they trust it, whether they should or not.
*They see themselves as a safe community, and when that is violated then
people react * that doesn't necessarily make for justice.
*I don't think they picked on Kenny. It could have happened to lots of other
people who had some kind of connection.*
She adds that mistakes could easily have been made in the handling of Putnam
County's first capital case since 1874.
*I would think there are political pressures that, whether or not people are
aware of it, are there and they do influence people.
*They are professional in one sense, but in another they don't deal with
cases like that every day. Even if they did their best the chances are they
missed things.
*I don't want to place blame, but I would hope for greater openness.*
Sister Alice adds that she has trouble understanding why so many outwardly
religious people in Ohio are so supportive of the death penalty.
*I try to figure it out. I would imagine it has something to do with
self-protectionism,* she says.
*I know people are ignorant * the concept is if you don't have capital
punishment that ?murderers will be living next door and threatening my
children'.
*People are frightened and on the TV we have so many crime shows I think
people feel less safe than they are, even though statistics say crime is
going down in the US.*
She adds: *The Catholic Church's position is that the state could kill
somebody for the protection of society.
*However, the Pope has also said that we can't think of a single place on the
planet where there are not other ways to protect people.
*Certainly in Columbus Grove there are other ways.*
The coalition is keeping a watchful eye on Kenny's case, and those of the
other Death Row inmates, and is ready to swing into action should his last
appeals fail.
Sister Alice says they simply do not have the resources to actively campaign
for everyone until their case reaches the *critical phase.*
She adds: *I am hopeful that as Kenny's case goes further and further into
the process there will be a point where the evidentiary hearing will be held
and they will agree he should not be where he is. There is no way he intended
to kill a child.*
Despite the efforts of Sister Alice and her fellow campaigners, support for
capital punishment in Ohio continues to be strong, with opinion polls show
two-thirds of the population favour the death penalty.
However, elsewhere in the United States, the tide is beginning to turn.
Earlier this year, George Ryan, the governor of Illinois, dramatically called
a halt to executions because of concerns that innocent people had been
condemned to die.
Since the death penalty was reinstated in 1977, Illinois has executed 12
people, but exonerated 13. Governor Ryan has set up a commission to
investigate how these innocent people ended up on Death Row.
In Ohio, state representative Shirley Smith is pushing for a similar
moratorium on executions while the practice is reviewed.
Only one person, Wilford Berry, has been executed in Ohio in the past 30
years. Jana Schroeder, of the Quaker organisation the American Friends
Service Association, hopes it will be the last.
However Jana, who chairs Ohioans To Stop Executions, is not confident that
the call for a moratorium will succeed in such a conservative state.
*It would be pretty much a miracle,* she says. *They will probably let it
die, to be honest. But that doesn't mean that you don't keep working on it.*
Across Ohio, billboards advertisements promote the pro-life message against
abortion. One bears the slogan : *A child dies, a woman cries, every 26
seconds * Ohio Right to Life.*
To Jana this message is at odds with support of the death penalty, and her
group is trying to re-educate churchgoers. *From my perspective it doesn't go
hand in hand,* she says.
*There are some people who haven't really thought about the issue in the
context of their faith.
*We are trying to get people who are part of churches to look at the death
penalty in the context of what their religious beliefs are.
*I feel there is a vaccuum that the churches have not addressed in asking
people to think about it.
*They say it is a controversial issue, and there's a group of people who say,
?an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth'.*
Jana says the problem is too few people question the *revenge motive*, and
too few are aware of the inmates on Death Row.
*When the crime happens and it's all in the news, then people might remember.
*But it's become so commonplace * we have 200 people on Death Row * so people
don't know any of these people by name, much less their cases.
*Yet at the time when it's happening, everybody is so bloodthirsty and
wanting revenge.*
Jana says few people in Ohio know who Kenny Richey is, much less his
international campaign for a retrial * but she says the more people who
support it the better.
*I imagine that the politicians who are aware of it think, ?why are they
sticking their noses in our business?
*It's a defensive posture because we are the only ones still doing this *
it's hard defending yourself.
*But the more people who support the campaign and the more isolated and
ashamed the United States can feel the better.*Not everyone in Ohio believes
[...]
ENDS

cap city tie piece on death penalty by Jennifer Veitch
FOR as long as the death penalty has existed in the United States, there have
campaigners against it.
The first person to be executed by the electric chair was William Kemmler, at
New York's Auburn Prison in 1890. However an abolition movement saw the death
penalty scrapped in Kansas in 1907, and eight states followed suit.
But in 1927, Nicola Sacco and Bartolemo Vanzetti were electrocuted in
Massachussetts for two murders, and executions reached a peak in the 1930s,
averaging 167 a year.
Capital punishment continued until an unofficial moratorium began in the late
1960s, and in 1972 the Supreme Court overturned all existing death sentences
and death penalty laws.
Four years later, the court ruled that the death penalty no longer violated
the constitution, and in 1977, Gary Gilmore was the first person to be
executed in the US for 10 years.
However concern has been growing that innocent people have been sent to Death
Row. In 1987, a study found that between 1900 and 1985, 23 innocent people
were executed, and since 1993, 80 innocent people have been released from
Death Row.
The American Bar Association called for a moratorium on executions in 1997
until all courts could ensure there was a minimum risk of executing innocent
people.
Kenny Richey has two more courts left to appeal his conviction. If those
fail, his life will ultimately be in the hands of Ohio's Governor, Bob Taft,
who has the power to grant clemency.
A pro-death penalty Republican, he sees no need for a moratorium on
executions, and sanctioned Wilford Berry's death last year.
Governor Taft's spokesman, Scott Milburn, says: *Ohio is a very different
state to Illinois or Texas, which has a lot of executions.
*Just last year we executed our first inmate in more than 30 years.
*We don't have the same rate of executions that a lot of other states do. One
of the reasons is there is a very lengthy and thorough judicial process these
cases go through before they reach that point.
*The fact that these cases do take so long means these cases are reviewed so
extensively it gives the Governor a lot of confidence that every check is
placed on the process.
*The Governor is a death penalty supporter, but he does have a lot of
confidence in the system that innocent people are not put to death.
*I think the fact that the process is long is an indication of how thorough
it is. This is not a kangaroo court where you are found guilty and your
sentence is carried out the next day.
Mr Milburn says at an educated guess it might take another three to five
years before Richey's case exhausts appeals. He adds that the Governor will
consider any cases very carefully, particularly if the inmate protests their
innocence.
*When the Governor went through the decision-making process on the last
execution, it was a pretty thorough process,* he says.
*He met with opponents of the death penalty and head a very long hearing to
hear them out. He talked to members of the victim's family and he really
listened to all sides involved.
*He takes the clemency authority very, very seriously. When he decided to
move forward with things he wrote a four-page explanation.
*He would obviously give it that same level of thought and reflection.*
ends
ENDS

Jennifer Veitch

Deputy Features Editor