You've nicely summed up the Paperclip operation and the role of Von Braun as well.
One should note that V.B. also designed spacecraft in the 1930's that were supposed to
go to Mars.  Much other technology, including that which is used for political, and
thought control, as well as spying, etc., owes its existence to developments made by
the Germans at the time.  One must wonder at times whos hand controls history when we
see a country so absolutely rife with genius in everything technological be ultimately
defeated by nations that are distant seconds at best.  Germany certainly was a marvel,
and we are the inheritors of much of what they developed, and certainly have done more
in the years since the war to further the aims of the Germans.  Too bad this
technology will always be tainted by the blood and death perpetrated by the Germans,
and every country since them (and before for that matter).

On Fri, 11 August 2000, "Robert F. Tatman" wrote:

> *Both* the US and Soviet space programs, and through them every other space
> program, relied on German missile technology.  The US and the Soviets split
> the original Peenemuende team between them, although von Braun did his best
> to get as many of his men as possible into the hands of the Americans.
> Although the V-2 production facilities in Thuringia fell in the Soviet
> sector of Occupied Germany, the cream of the senior production staff
> (including the commander of the Mittelwerke and supervisor of the attached
> concentration camp) surrendered to the Americans, by design.  Every missile
> or spaceship launched from this planet since 1945 has been based on the
> German designs and design philosophy.  Now, it is certainly true that both
> Goddard, the American rocketry pioneer, and Tsiolkovsky, the Russian
> rocketry pioneer, could have led comparable development operations which
> would inevitably have led to highly successful rocket designs, but the fact
> remains that it was the Germans, led by von Braun, who prevailed by a quirk
> of historical fate.  I don't know how history will ultimately judge von
> Braun, or for that matter the Americans and Russians who took over the
> German research in the name of the Cold War.  But the man was a
> technological genius, beyond doubt.  He may well also have been guilty of
> war crimes and crimes against humanity, but justice belongs to the victors,
> and by the time the Nuremberg Trials convened, von Braun and his Paperclip
> team were safely secure in White Sands, New Mexico, and--like so many other
> "former" Nazis who had turned their coats--under the protecting aegis of the
> United States Government.

"Welcome to the desert of the real."  Morpheus, in The Matrix

"My God it's full of stars!"  Dave Bowman, in 2001: A Space
Odyssey

Free Unlimited Internet Access! Try it now!
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/altavista/index.html