Bring On Da Pork!

by Bill Collins

First broadcast on WSHU/WSUF-FM: June 10, 1998
Connecticut is much smarter than Iowa or North
Carolina. They get their pork from massive hog farms.
Besides their dreadful treatment of animals, these
meat factories also pollute soil, stream, park, and
pasture.

That would never work here. Even our lackadaisical DEP
wouldn't put up with it. And, luckily, there's no
need. We get our pork direct from Washington. It's
called the Defense Budget.

To grow this kind of pork, our defense contractors
spend mightily on every new political fertilizer, and
our congressional delegation is skilled in military
agriculture. Rep. Jim Maloney has shown impressive
talent in making weapons virtually spring full-grown
from the conference table. Our master farmer, though,
is Sen. Joe Lieberman. Together with other colleagues,
he and Maloney have persuaded Congress to buy more
guns than the Pentagon even wanted.

Those foolishly short-sighted generals and admirals,
for example, only called for 26 new Black Hawk
helicopters from Sikorsky. The more experienced House
of Representatives felt they needed 36. Likewise the
military brass timidly sought a mere $367 million to
push development on the futuristic Comanche. That's
the helicopter we'll need to repulse those aliens from
the Spiral Nebula. But Congress consulted its
astronomers and astrologers, and authorized an
additional $62 million.

Also doing well in Congress is the Joint Strike
Fighter, powered by Pratt & Whitney and navigated by
Norden. Not to mention the F-22 fighter, also powered
by you-know-who. It received full-funding, as did the
submarine program and the C-17 transport. Who needs
messy hogs when you can bring home that kind of bacon?

But all those specific authorizations are merely part
of the daily tilling of the soldierly soil. The big
stuff - the planning to increase our global military
markets - is in the capable hands of Lieberman. Not
surprisingly, our senator is a leading proponent of
NATO expansion. Informally, this treaty is known as
the Defense Contractor's Bonanza Act. Lockheed-Martin,
Boeing, Textron, and our own local guys all poured
millions into it.

Here's how it works. NATO will require that it's three
new members - Poland, Hungary, and the Czech Republic
- junk their old Russian weapons and buy new ones,
compatible with their new allies. But these three have
no money. And the other NATO members have made it
plain that they won't give them any. Not to worry. Our
manufacturers will sell them guns on credit,
guaranteed by Uncle Sam. The three will then default,
and our Treasury will pick up the bill. It's an old
scam. We've been doing something similar with Israel
for decades.

Though other analysts, of virtually every stripe, have
condemned NATO expansion, too, I might not be so
personally exercised had not Lieberman written a
specially unctuous op-ed for the Hartford Courant. He
called expansion a proud day for WW II vets,
Polish-Americans, and those "who stood on alert during
the Cold War." Well, that was me. But I don't feel the
least bit proud. In fact, I, for one, resent
threatening Russia just to make more money for
Sikorsky and United Technologies. It's time
Connecticut and America weaned ourselves away from
military pork and began using that money to help
people. It would be better for the economy too.