>From http://www.observer.co.uk/politics/story/0,6903,353653,00.html

>>>During the Kosovariac boondoggle, it became clear that the U.S. forces were
taking on a great amount of the load simply because the "allies" had not kept
pace with materiel and procurement.  Thus, no matter how much we might want to
reduce our "allies" dependency on American forces, it just ain't gonna be soon.
 Read on.  It ain't just bad blood (BSE-based) apparently.  A<>E<>R <<<

> A new missile system for the RAF has been delayed by nearly seven years. The
> Casom system is already in use in the United States air force and, according to
> the report, was 'made substantial use of in Kosovo'.

}}>Begin
Military put at risk in £3bn fiasco
Kamal Ahmed, political editor
Sunday August 13, 2000

Britain's military capability is being severely hampered because more than £3
billion has been wasted through a series of financial blunders, The Observer
can reveal.

A damning report, which is based on an analysis of Ministry of Defence spending
since 1993, will show this week that it can take more than 14 years from making
a decision to buy new military equipment to its being put into service.

Such long delays mean that by the time the new equipment is in place it has
often been overtaken by technological advances and become obsolete. Millions
more pounds are then needed to update it. Even equipment that is bought 'off-
the-shelf' and supposedly ready for use takes six years to come into service.
Cost overruns, delays and technical problems all add to the MoD's financial
woes, the report says.

The document, prepared for MPs investigating the performance of the MoD and
obtained by The Observer , comes just days after General Sir Charles Guthrie,
the Chief of Defence Staff, warned that a staff crisis and lack of resources
were undermining the armed forces' strength as effective fighting units.

Such a huge amount of wasted money will be damaging for the Ministry of
Defence, which has recently received one of the biggest increases in its budget
from the Treasury since 1997.

'Analysis of the trends in cost and time performance since 1993 shows that
there is no evidence that the departments are controlling projects any better
than in the past,' says the report. 'The average delay to projects since 1993
has increased significantly from 36 months to 57 months.

'There is also evidence that project life-cycles are getting longer, increasing
the risk of them being overtaken by events, for example by technological
advances. In time terms, the average in-service date delay has risen by 11
months since 1993 and there is no evidence that projects since 1993 are less
vulnerable to delay than the ones they replace.'

The MoD's top 25 procurement projects are analysed in the pages of the report.
They are now expected to cost £38.3bn, an increase of £2.8bn compared with
original estimates. Two projects, the Tornado aircraft modernisation plan and
an air-to-air missile system, are 50 per cent over their budget.

The report will form the backbone of an investigation into the MoD to be
published by the Public Accounts Committee on Tuesday.

Members of the committee will question whether the MoD's new Smart Procurement
Initiative is actually working. Sources on the committee said that a culture of
deference and a complicated decision-making process meant that the MoD had been
unable to modernise quickly enough.

The investigation will focus on a series of debacles. It will question why the
Merlin Mark 1 helicopter did not come into service until March 1999, more than
five years late and £800 million over its budget.

It will also highlight problems with the Trigat anti-tank guided missile, which
has been delayed by nearly three years because of 'technical difficulties'.

A new missile system for the RAF has been delayed by nearly seven years. The
Casom system is already in use in the United States air force and, according to
the report, was 'made substantial use of in Kosovo'.

Nigel Griffiths, the Labour MP for Edinburgh South and a leading campaigner for
changes in the MoD, said that it was time for the entire culture of the MoD to
be fundamentally overhauled.

'I spoke to an ex-soldier who told me that they make regular complaints about
equipment, but that when those complaints are pushed up to a higher level they
are so watered down they bear no relation to the original problem,' he said.

End<{{
A<>E<>R

Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The libertarian therefore considers one of his prime educational
tasks is to spread the demystification and desanctification of the
State among its hapless subjects.  His task is to demonstrate
repeatedly and in depth that not only the emperor but even the
"democratic" State has no clothes; that all governments subsist
by exploitive rule over the public; and that such rule is the reverse
of objective necessity.  He strives to show that the existence of
taxation and the State necessarily sets up a class division between
the exploiting rulers and the exploited ruled.  He seeks to show that
the task of the court intellectuals who have always supported the State
has ever been to weave mystification in order to induce the public to
accept State rule and that these intellectuals obtain, in return, a
share in the power and pelf extracted by the rulers from their deluded
subjects.
[[For a New Liberty:  The Libertarian Manifesto, Murray N. Rothbard,
Fox & Wilkes, 1973, 1978, p. 25]]