The Early Days of the John Birch Society:
Fascist Templars of the Corporate State

By Alex Constantine

Part 6: Prelude to The Order

     "The reactionaries are in possession of force,
in not only the army and police, but in the press
and schools."
                                            ‹ John Dewey

     The rabble rousing of Welch, Manion, Smoot and other Birch Society
celebrities was understandably disturbing to some of the political targets
of the abuse. President John Kennedy responded to the noisy extremists of
the Birch Society in an address delivered at a fund-raising dinner hosted by
the Democratic Party at the Hollywood Paladium on November 18, 1961. "In
recent months," Kennedy said, "I have spoken many times about how difficult
and dangerous a period it is through which we move. I would like to take
this opportunity to say a word about the American spirit in this time of
trial. In the most critical periods of out nation's history, there have been
those on the fringes of out society who have sought to escape their own
responsibility by finding a simple solution, an appealing slogan or a
convenient scapegoat."
     Political extremists, he said, sought the easy explanation for every
national crisis and ignored political complexities. A downturn in the econmy
"could be explained by the presence of too many immigrants." Wars are
orchestrated by "international bankers." China ended trade relations with
the world not as a result of internal conflicts, but due to "treason in high
places." With their rhetoric, "these fanatics have achieved a temporary
success among those who lack the will or the vision to face unpleasant facts
or unresolved problems."
     The Cold War was oppressive, Kennedy acknowledged, and "the discordant
voices of extremism are heard once again in the land. Men who are unwilling
to face up to the danger from without are convinced that the real danger
comes from within. They look suspiciously at their neighbors and their
leaders. They call for 'a man on horseback' because they do not trust the
people."
     The extreme right equated the Democratic Party with "the welfare
state," said Kennedy. They object, "quite rightly, to politics intruding on
the military ‹ but they are anxious for the military to engage in politics."
He urged his supporters, "Let us not heed these counsels of fear and
suspicion.... Let out patriotism be reflected in the creation of confidence
rather than crusades of suspicion" (Entire speech published verbatim in
William A. Rusher, The Rise of the Right, William Morrow, 1984, pp.
121-123).
    In 1965, a Republican leader told the Arizona Republic that eighty
percent of all Birch Society members were "dedicated, patriotic and
frightened Americans. More than 19 percent are nuts who brains and judgment
are warped. And the remaining people frighten me to death."
     Many conservative Americans found the "crusade of suspicion"
irresistible. Most Birch Society members, about 60,000 all told, lived in
cozy suburbs in the south and southwest (Rusher, p, 118).
     The Phoenix chapter of the Society was founded in 1960, and six more
were conceived within two years. By 1965, there were 100 chapters in the
state and some 2,000 members. Most of them lived in the suburbs around
Phoenix.
     They came in all ages. One of the youngest and most receptive to the
call was young Robbie Jay Matthews of Phoenix, Arizona, a prototypical
middle-class American kid who, as an adult, went on to muster a group he
called The Order, the neo-nazi cell that murdered radio talk show host Alan
Berg in 1984.
     Twnety years before, on  October 25, 1964, Una Matthews, his mother,
drew Robbie's attention to a tabloid insert in the Arizona Republic
entitled, The John Birch Society: A Report. In The Silent Brotherhood
(Signet, 1989), reporters Kevin Flynn and Gary Gerhardt describe the
momentous day that Robbie Matthews, age 12,  became a fascist: "Una flipped
through the magazine's pages, each marked 'advertisement' at the top."...
The article described how the society was composed of local chapters with
ten to twenty members, usually formed by someone in the neighborhood who was
concerned about communism. A full-time coordinator gave assistance and
direction to the chapters."
     "This group really wants to do something about it," Una Matthews told
her son, who took the magazine to his room and studied it thoroughly. "He
didn't understand everything, but he understood enough to become
increasingly alarmed. These people he'd been hearing about, these Russian
communists, wanted to take over the world." Young Matthews thought of the
implications. He feared for his family. Reading: "How are we reacting to the
realities of out world? What do we think of the steady gain of communism ‹
of the millions killed, tortured and enslaved by this criminal conspiracy?
De we still laugh at Kruschev's claim that our children will live under
communism? Do we shrug off Cuba? Will we shrug off Mexico? Do we watch with
curiosity? Do we pull down the curtains on these disturbing thoughts? Do we
draw the warm covers of apathy around our necks?" Robbie Matthews, a future
"man on horseback," clipped the coupon and sent the Birch Society $5.00 for
a copy of Robert Welch's Blue Book, the group's manifesto.
     "No more," Flynn and Gerhardt write, "would the world be just what he
could see up and down West Lawrence Lane" (p. 29-30).