WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Tzemach News Service - http://www.tzemach.org/fyi

Tzemach News Service
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A weekly update of news and events regarding the nation and the people of
Israel

Week Ending: 19 August 2000/18 Av 5760

Please feel free to forward to a friend or colleague

"Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, a people in whose heart is My
law; Do not fear the reproach of man, neither be dismayed at their
revilings." (Isaiah 51.7)

HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS WEEK:

> US: NO TREATY; NO SUMMIT
> US UP TO ITS OLD TRICKS
> BUSH ALSO LOOKS TO DIVIDE-UP ISRAEL
> CLASHES IN HEBRON
> THE CRUSADE BY HA'ARETZ AGAINST THE JEWISH COMMUNITY OF HEBRON
> HIZB'ALLAH CONTROLS BORDER
> DECLARATION OF STATE DELAYED?
> IDF ABANDONING JOSEPH'S TOMB?
> PLO PR
> MUFTI ISSUES ISLAMIC BAN
> THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY AND THE ISLAMIC CONNECTION
> PA OFFICIAL THREATENS TO BLOW UP ISRAELI CITIES
> THIS WEEK IN JEWISH HISTORY
> ISRAEL'S FIGHT FOR SURVIVAL
> ** NOTICE ** Redemption In The End-Times Prophecy Conference

Editor's Note: The TZEMACH NEWS SERVICE does not support any political
party or candidate. Any reference made to any candidates or their
respective parties are for informational purposes only.

US: NO TREATY; NO SUMMIT: US envoy Dennis Ross told Palestinian
negotiators Friday that President Bill Clinton will not convene a second
Mideast summit unless there is a real chance it will produce a peace
treaty. Prime Minister Barak said there is no point in holding another
summit as long as Arafat remains inflexible. Arafat, who was in Japan, one
of the last stops on this world tour, blamed Barak for the breakdown of
last month's Camp David summit and warned that there would be an
"explosion" in the Middle East if negotiations failed altogether. In his
meeting with Barak, Ross "emphasized the time factor and said there was
only a very narrow window of opportunity," Barak's office said in a
statement [There is a "very narrow window" because Clinton will not be in
office after 20 January 2001 ed]. Barak's office said Clinton would meet
with the Israeli and Palestinian leaders separately when they attend the
U.N. Millennium Summit in New York in early September. US Secretary of
State Madeleine Albright is slated to arrive in the Middle East towards
the end of the month to discuss the possibility of another summit,
HATZOFEH reported.

Meanwhile, legislation to prevent a minority-government Prime Minister
from signing international agreements has been initiated by the chairman
of the National Union-Yisrael Beiteinu faction in the Knesset, MK Benny
Elon. The bill stipulates that only a Prime Minister supported by 61
Knesset Members can sign such agreements. Elon hopes to gather 61
signatures for the bill and pass it into law even before the end of the
current Knesset recess.

US UP TO ITS OLD TRICKS: The US State Department drew sharp criticism from
Israeli and Palestinian officials this week for issuing a security alert
advising Americans in Israel and Palestinian areas to be on the lookout
for terrorist activity. The warning issued on Wednesday stated there was
"an increased possibility for terrorist attacks" and cautioned Americans
against using public buses and visiting crowded areas. It also advised
Americans not to remain in an area where a demonstration or altercation
appears to be developing. Israel and the Palestinian Authority (PA/PLO)
were upset that the security alert came at a delicate time in peace talks,
was based on no concrete threat, and could unnecessarily stem the record
flow of American tourists heading for the Holy Land.

In a move that angered Israel Faisal Husseini, PA/PLO Minister of
Jerusalem Affairs, met with US Consul General Ronald Schlicher at Orient
House in Jerusalem last week. The Israeli government has demanded that the
PLO not use Orient House as a meeting place for foreign dignitaries as it
gives the place the semblance of an established state government house.
The US, it seems, does not wish to honor Israel's requests.

BUSH ALSO LOOKS TO DIVIDE-UP ISRAEL: US Republican presidential candidate
George W. Bush will follow President Bill Clinton's lead by trying to
foster Middle East peace if he is elected president, Bush's senior foreign
policy advisor said on Monday. "Governor Bush has said very much that he
applauds what the president has tried to do at Camp David II ... There
will be other areas of difference in American foreign policy should
Governor Bush be elected president, but the Middle East would not likely
be one of them," Condoleeza Rice told Israel's Army Radio.

CLASHES IN HEBRON: Police arrested 10 Palestinian and three Jewish
residents of Hebron Saturday, following clashes  after an Arab taxi hit a
Jewish child and fled the scene. An Israeli police officer had been
severely beaten by a Palestinian, who was one of those detained. The army
said a soldier had also been slightly injured in the scuffles. Police and
security forces moved into the area and declared it a closed military
zone, firing rubber bullets and shots into the air to disperse the crowds.
By Saturday night calm had returned to the city, the Israel Defense Force
(IDF)  said.

Earlier in the day, following Sabbath prayers, two women were attacked by
Arabs who used slingshots who to shoot rocks at them. One of the women was
hit in the ear and the other on her arm. The attacks took place a short
distance from Ma'arat HaMachpela, the Tomb of the Patriarchs and
Matriarchs.

Exactly 71 years ago Saturday, 67 Jews were brutally murdered in cold
blood in  Hebron. The British police forces, composed of a British officer
and mostly Arab police, did absolutely nothing to stop the attacks. Some
of the police actually participated in the massacre. Seventy one years
later Jews are still being attacked by Arabs in Hebron. Over the last few
weeks a woman was sexually assaulted and others were attacked by
rock-throwing and metal-flinging Arab terrorists. Saturday's attacks,
against women and children, took place on the only road available to Jews
in Hebron. For further information, along with pictures, on the 1927
attack see the Hebron website: http://www.hebron.org.il/pics/tarhome.htm.

THE CRUSADE BY HA'ARETZ AGAINST THE JEWISH COMMUNITY OF HEBRON: The
following are excerpts from an article by Hebron spokesman Noam Arnon
published in Friday's MAKOR RISHON.

"This newspaper [HA'ARETZ], advertised as a newspaper for 'thinking
people,' decided to begin a private crusade against Hebron's Jewish
community. The campaign began with a front-page article on Thursday,
August 10 - which was Tisha b'Av! It continued with a lengthy article in
the HA'ARETZ Friday supplement, which accompanied a vitriolic editorial,
the same day. The campaign didn't stop there. The following Sunday, August
13, HA'ARETZ printed an equally vicious article written by Gideon Levy,
attacking Hebron. ... All of these articles blamed Hebron's Jews for
intentionally initiating attacks against Arabs. These charges were backed
up by anonymous sources, usually quoted as "high-ranking officers." The
newspaper's left-wing opinions are well known, but it is usually a fair
and professional publication. However, it seems that when the subject is
Hebron, the hate is so enormous that it overrides any attempt at truth,
fairness and objectivity. ... The front page headline on August 10 (Tisha
b'Av) blares, 'An escalation in Hebron: Increasing violence by settlers
against Arabs and soldiers.' This headline is based upon deliberate,
transparent fabrications. For example, one of the deeds attributed to
Hebron settlers is, 'five Israeli soldiers were injured by marbles shot at
them by Jewish children.' This is simply not true! The article's author,
Amos Harel, intentionally lied. The commander of the Hebron region,
Colonel Noam Tivon, told me personally that this is false. ... Similar is
the attitude towards Hebron's young women. The newspaper decided to break
with its traditional policy that supports women's rights and women's
honor. Hebron's women are different. Arabs who sexually harass and
victimize Jewish women are rewarded by the newspaper. Even writer Ada
Ushpiz, who wrote a venomous account against the Jews, quotes such obscene
Arab curses against the Hebron women that they aren't fit to be printed.
However, rather than condemn the instigators, she "understands" them, and
even justifies them ... as a 'cheap outlet for the hopelessness of the
young Palestinian men.' Do you comprehend? This is not related to as
sexual harassment. Rather, this is only an 'expression of hopelessness.'
Complaints of sexual attacks and harassment issued by Jewish women are
spoken of as events that 'allegedly' happened. The word 'allegedly'
explains everything. Remember: today Jews may use one road, and one road
alone, the length of which is one and a half kilometers. All other roads
are closed to Jews, since the 'peace accords' were implemented. ... The
Arabs are incited by a hostile media which doesn't shy away from lies,
distortion and overt one-sidedness, to create a public atmosphere of
incitement, aimed at retroactively justifying each and every attack on us.
HA'ARETZ'S journalists do not let the facts confuse them. Gideon Levy
proposed to President Moshe Katzav that he come visit Hebron on a Shabbat,
in order to witness the 'wailings' of the Jewish settlers. Gideon Levy
does not speak with doing - he came to visit on Shabbat. On that day, to
his great surprise, the settlers did absolutely nothing (as is usual to
whomever is familiar with the facts.) But the Arabs also know how to wail,
and wail they did. They flung metal rods at women walking back from
Shabbat prayers that Friday night. There wasn't any reaction, not from the
army, and not from the Jewish residents. But Levy did not bother to tell
this to his readers because it doesn't fit his political opinions, which
are already well known. ... Fortunately though, the Jewish Community of
Hebron is not dependant upon HA'ARETZ newspaper or others of the same
predilection. We will continue doing what has to be done, with G-d's help,
as we have in the past, forever."

HIZB'ALLAH CONTROLS BORDER: Hizb'Allah terrorists on Monday blocked a
detachment of UN peace-keepers in south Lebanon from investigating a
Lebanese government complaint of an Israeli border violation. The incident
drew attention to Israeli concerns that Beirut has left the radical
Shi'ite terrorist faction in control of the immediate border area, where
it will be able to continue organizing violent protests which harass IDF
soldiers and field workers near key border crossings. Israel charges these
actions violate UN resolution 425, which requires Lebanon and the UN to
restore security and stability in south Lebanon.

DECLARATION OF STATE DELAYED? According to many reports it's all but
final: The September 13  target date for the unilateral declaration of a
Palestinian state has been postponed   largely due to the lack of
international sup  port for such a move. Some observers say that a state
will be declared on November 15.

IDF ABANDONING JOSEPH'S TOMB? An official IDF spokesman has dismissed the
Yesha Council's claim that the Tomb of Joseph in Shechem will be soon
transferred to full PA/PLO control. In response to a question posed by
ARUTZ-7 correspondent Haggai Huberman, the spokesman said that he "does
not know of any such initiative." The denial is not being taken seriously
by Yesha leaders, who note that a meeting has been scheduled between army
officials and the administration of the Od Yosef Chai Yeshiva located
there to discuss the future of the compound. According to information
obtained by the Council, Prime Minister Ehud Barak has already instructed
the security establishment to prepare for the transfer of the Tomb and the
Shalom Al Yisrael Synagogue in Jericho to PA/PLO control. The arrangement
will allow for the entry of Jews into the tomb compound, but no IDF
soldiers will be permitted to remain there.

Speaking with ARUTZ-7, Od Yosef Chai Yeshiva director Yehuda Leibman said
that army officials have been visiting the site over the past few days to
study possibilities for further security reinforcements."

PLO PR: The celebrated explosure of a Hamas explosives laboratory in
Shechem was a well-planned PR trick on the part of the PLO, which was also
helpful to the government of Israel. In fact, the laboratory contained
only agricultural products and pharmaceutical materials, according to a
story in KOL HAZMAN, MA'ARIV's Jerusalem supplement.

MUFTI ISSUES ISLAMIC BAN: The Palestinian Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Shiek
Ikrima Sabri, has re-issued an Islamic religious ruling forbidding Arab
residents of east Jerusalem from seeking Israeli citizenship, following
reports the number of applicants has significantly increased. Figures
released by the Interior Ministry show that the number of applications for
Israeli citizenship by east Jerusalem Arabs has nearly doubled over the
last year. In the first half of 2000, the ministry received 183
applications, compared to 98 for the same period in 1999. In reaction,
Sabri revived a ten-year-old "fatwa" banning the practice and warned Arab
residents of the city not to seek Israeli citizenship, saying it implied
recognition of Israel's claims over the city. Such rulings often carry a
penalty of excommunication from Islam, although it is not clear how the
top Palestinian cleric would punish violators. In response, Jerusalem
Mayor Ehud Olmert called on Barak to immediately announce that Israel will
automatically grant citizenship to any Arab living in east Jerusalem who
applies.

THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY AND THE ISLAMIC CONNECTION: A speaker featured
Tuesday at the Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles -- Maher
Hathout -- is a known supporter of terrorism and harbors clear anti-Israel
views. Hathout is a senior official of the Muslim Public Affairs Council
(MPAC), an organization that has earned the criticism of leading Jewish
organizations because of its sympathy for terrorist groups. The Zionist
Organization of America notes that the President of the American Jewish
Congress wrote on June 30, 1999, that the MPAC "condones terrorist acts;"
similarly, the Anti-Defamation League announced in December 1998 that it
would not co-sign public statements with the MPAC because of the
organization's refusal to issue "a clear-cut denunciation of terror."
(FORWARD, Dec.4 ,1998) At the National Press Club on June 18, 1998, Maher
Hathout stated that the Hizb'Allah terrorist organization "is fighting for
freedom...This is legitimate." In response to America's attack on