http://www.shadowconventions.org/speeches/watersspeech.htm
(<A HREF="http://www.shadowconventions.org/speeches/watersspeech.htm">Shadow
Conventions 2000</A>
-----
The best speech.
MHO
-----

<A HREF="http://www.shadowconventions.org/speeches/watersspeech.htm">
Maxine Waters Speech - Tuesday</A> 14 August 2000
Thank you. Thank you very much. Thank you so very very much. There is no war
on drugs going on in America today, and Barry McCampry needs to resign right
now. He needs to stop pushing policies that send our tax dollars to Columbia
supporting these right wing dictator-types! And move out of the way and allow
us to develop some good drug policies that’s going to stop incarcerating the
victims of this so-called drug war. I want you to know that you are seated in
this building right on the edge of the community that the CIA allowed to be
over-run with drugs. They turned a blind eye to the dumping of tons of
cocaine into this community all the way back down through South Central Los
Angeles that has destroyed lives, destroyed families, literally destroyed our
communities. As a result of what they have done, they have left a lot of
broken homes, a lot of young people were incarcerated. One young man,who was
stupid enough to go along with the okiedoke, found himself with a life
sentence for cooking up the cocaine that was dumped into the community who
the profits from which were used to fund the war down in Nicaragua, the
contras vs the Sandinitas. I know it happened, I investigated it, I worked on
it for a couple of years. Gary Webb of the San Jose Mercury unveiled what had
taken place, spent a year investigating it. Oh, they tried to quiet him, to
put a muzzle on him but he was correct. I went all the way to Nicaragua
myself and met with someone in prison who had worked with the Mitaline cartel
who had been involved at the time the drugs were being dumped into our
community; however, they would tell you they’ve had a war on drugs and a lot
of those victims are now in prison or dead, but it’s time for a new drug
policy and we are going to lead the way for it right here in California.

I’m going to tell you why, why we’ve got to lead the way for it in
California. In my own state, California ranks #1 in the incarceration of drug
offenders. Nearly half of all drug offenders imprisoned in California last
year, were imprisoned for simple possession of drugs. In New York, 91% of
those imprisoned last year for drug offences were locked up for possession of
one of the states three lowest level drug offenses. Despite these bleak
numbers, there were efforts to stop the madness surrounding the so-called war
on drugs. Let me tell you, is Bill Zimmerman in the house. I want Bill
Zimmerman to stand. There he is back there. Because we have an initiative on
the ballot, Proposition 36. Are you aware of this? We’re going to turn this
state around because we’re going to create a policy with this initiative that
will stop locking up people for these simple offenses, many of them who are
victims who are people who need help. We’re going to stop putting them in
jail. We’re going to give them an opportunity to be rehabilitated. The
Congressional Black Caucus is supporting this initiative. Over the majority
of us have signed on so that we can send a message that we want California to
be successful so that we can serve as a model for the nation about what we
can do in creating a real war on drugs and saving lives. Thank you, Bill, for
your leadership.

I don’t know how many people are at this convention from California and how
many of you are willing to come back and help us. We can win this initiative
but we need all of the bodies in the street. We need all of the help we can
get. Will you help us?

I’m going to just wrap up by saying to you with less than five percent of the
world’s population, the United States has one-quarter of the world’s
prisoners. The rapid expansion of the U.S. prison industrial complex has been
fueled by the so-called war on drugs. On June 8,2000, the Human Rights Watch
released a report which found that African-American men are imprisoned for
drug crimes 13 times more than others even though…absolutely right. I have
said over and over again, America has a problem with drug addiction and we
cannot continue to incarcerate our way out of the help crisis. I have
introduced HR1681, the Major Drug Trafficking Prosecution Act of 1991 to
correct the misguided policy of mandatory minimum sentencing.

I want to bring on a friend of mine but I just want to close by saying this
lock ‘em up and throw the key away mentality has got to stop. We have got to
understand we cannot continue to spend more money on prisoners than we are
spending on education. I want you to start to call the politicians to task.
Look at where they are getting their campaign contributions. They’re getting
their campaign contributions too often from those who have a stake in us
keeping people in prison. They want the prisons to grow so that they can make
money in this privatization of the prisons. You have to understand there is a
direct connection between the growth in this industry and the campaign
contributions and the public policy. We’re smarter than that. We’re not going
to continue to let them do it. This is the beginning of everything at this
Shadow Convention. God bless you! Thank you! Thank you! I want to introduce
to my friend…Thank you. I want you…Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I want to
introduce you to a man that you need to know, Michael Eric Dyson, Professor
of Religion, religious study at the DuPaul University. You think I’ve got
some thoughts about this imprisonment of young people; I’ve got some thoughts
about this lack of a real war on drugs; I’ve got some thoughts about the
prison industrial complex, you ain’t heard nothing yet. Michael Eric Dyson,
come on out here.

    Streaming video clips from the Shadow Conventions courtesy of RealImpact
Requires RealPlayer 8.0 Basic

Join us for live interactive chats with Shadow Convention Speakers courtesy
of Firetalk.

Raise Your Voice: Join Arianna Huffington and other speakers and conveners in
the Shadow Conventions discussion forum, hosted by Café Utne. Watch this
space for daily updates on featured discussions.

Take Action: Use our Action-Fax to contact Gore & Bush about the issue

 Watch the Shadow Convention Highlights every evening from 6:30 - 7:00 pm on
America's Voice. Check cable listings or watch Channel 216 on the Dish
Network.

Copyright 2000 Shadow Conventions 2000
All rights reserved
-----