New York Post-August 22, 2000

HILL ACCUSER HONEST

By GREGG BIRNBAUM

LITTLE ROCK - The Arkansas man who accused Hillary Rodham Clinton
last month of uttering an anti-Semitic slur in 1974 has passed a
lie-detector test arranged by The Post.

Paul Fray, who has charged Mrs. Clinton called him a "f- - -ing
Jew bastard" after Bill Clinton lost his race for Congress,
cleared the polygraph exam administered Sunday near his home
here.

"There's no doubt in my mind that Mr. Fray is truthful,"
concluded state-licensed Arkansas polygrapher Jeff Hubanks, who
gave the three-hour test.

Hubanks, who has administered 400 to 500 exams, was chosen by The
Post from a list of accredited polygraphers in the state.

The findings were reviewed yesterday by another expert, Richard
Keifer, a former head of the FBI's polygraph unit who has 20
years of experience.

Keifer judged the results "inconclusive" because they didn't meet
the high federal polygraph standards - but said he found nothing
to indicate Fray was lying.

Keifer said Hubanks relied on a controversial questioning
technique that isn't endorsed by the feds. But Keifer added that
it appeared there were no other options in this case to establish
a benchmark for measuring Fray's physiological responses.

Under the FBI's scoring system, Keifer also said, Fray's combined
answer to two questions about the slur would be evaluated as
inconclusive.

But the rating system used by Hubanks - and promoted by the
University of Utah - indicates Fray's response is truthful.

Keifer said additional polygraph testing of Fray was warranted.

"The one thing I didn't see was deception," Keifer said,
crediting Hubanks for conducting a "professional" exam.

"If anything, it leans toward truthfulness."

Clinton campaign spokesman Howard Wolfson said last night, "Paul
Fray is an admitted liar, and we're not going to be responding to
his lies anymore."

Fray said he hoped the results of the polygraph wouldn't hurt the
first lady's Senate campaign, and even expressed his desire that
she win the election - but added he feels vindicated.

"I proved it today," Fray told The Post.

"I knew I was telling the truth all along. The truth will set you
free - and I'm free of this question."

Fray, 57, was told several times before the exam began that the
results would be published in The Post no matter how the test
came out. He was also told that if he declined to take the test,
The Post would report that.

Hubanks asked two very similar questions to determine if Fray was
being truthful about whether Mrs. Clinton made the anti-Semitic
remark.

The questions were: "Did you hear Hillary call you a "f- - -ing
Jew bastard?" and "Did you hear Hillary call you a "f- - -ing Jew
bastard in 1974?"

Fray answered "yes" to both questions, and Hubanks' analysis
concluded he was being truthful on both counts.

"The physiological responses noted on the subject's polygraph
charts are in such a pattern as to indicate that the subject was
truthful in answering the above questions," Hubanks written
report concludes.

Fray, who was Bill Clinton's campaign manager in 1974, charged in
a book published last month that Mrs. Clinton hurled the slur
during a knock-down, drag-out election-night meeting in a room at
the Fayetteville, Ark., campaign headquarters attended by him,
his wife, Mary Lee, and the Clintons, who were not yet married.

Another campaign worker, Neil McDonald, stood outside the door
and has confirmed Fray's account.

The charge against Mrs. Clinton first surfaced in Jerry
Oppenheimer's book on the Clintons, "State of a Union," which hit
bookstores last month.

During an emotional press conference in the front yard of her
Chappaqua home several days after the allegations became public,
the first lady strongly denied she used the anti-Jewish epithet -
suggesting it was being brought forward to derail her Senate
campaign.

President Clinton backed up his wife.

The first lady's allies noted that Fray has lost his law license
after accepting a bribe, suffers from a brain disorder that
causes memory loss, and was addicted to painkillers. They said
that no one knew Fray, a Baptist who says his great-grandfather
married a Jew, had any Jewish ancestry.

After Mrs. Clinton and her supporters attacked Fray's credibility
and integrity, he volunteered to take a polygraph test during a
July 18 appearance on "Good Morning America."

The next day, The Post sought to arrange for Fray to take a
polygraph, and was able to schedule it for Sunday after he sought
several delays.

The test was given from 3:10 to 6:05 p.m. in Suite 503 at the
Holiday Inn Express at the Little Rock Airport.

"I don't want the people in the state of New York, and
particularly the Jewish community, to attach any undue
significance to this," Fray said moments after being informed he
had passed the test.

"I want her to win the race. If I was a registered voter in the
state of New York, I would vote for her. She will make an
excellent senator."

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.