See you there!

August 26, Washington, DC, noon.  "Redeem the Dream" march
against racial profiling and police brutality, marking the 37th
anniversary of the March on Washington, at the Lincoln Memorial.
Convened by the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and the
National Action Network, call (202) 58DREAM for information.

         WITCH WAY ON DRUGS?

         With its brutal excesses and reliance on snitches and finks
as informants, I don't think it's far off-kilter to describe
         the modern-day drug war as oddly similar to the Salem witch
trials.  In fact, if words mean anything, the war on
         drugs is a witch-hunt in the most literal sense of the two
terms - -- both "drug" and "witch."

         As the history books tell it, in the late 1600s the witches
of Salem, Mass., became the exalted guests at a New
         England hemp party -- which is to say, as a point of
clarification, that they swung from ropes composed of it,
         rather than smoked doobies rolled from it.  Likewise, today
there are those who argue for the same treatment for
         drug sellers and users.  In Christian circles, this rallying
cry to give dope peddlers the chair usually hinges on the
         same justification as hanging witches.

         Taking up this banner is Media House International Director
Jay Rogers in a review of the 1994 book, "Politically
         Incorrect," by Pat Robertson's former right arm, Ralph Reed.
"The moral Law of God requires only two
         punishments for lawbreakers," explains Rogers, "restitution
or execution.  A repeat violent offender would spend
         the rest of his life in servitude or would be executed,"
Rogers elaborates, arriving at this shocking conclusion:

         Convicted drug dealers who sold drugs to children would be
executed for the crime of sorcery.  ...

         Rogers hinges this bold call for blood on Scripture's
condemnation of witchcraft.  "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to
         live," enjoins the Lord in the 22nd chapter of Exodus.  As
the Bible would have it, the life of a witch follows the
         Bob Dylan lyric: "Everybody must get stoned." Rogers has it
sewed.  It's cake.  Toke a bong, and they'll stoke your
         pyre.  But what's the connection? How does a death sentence
for hocus-pocus apply to pill heads and junkies?

         Figuring 'pharmakeia' When I argued in my July 20 column,
"One toke over the line, sweet Jesus?" that Christians
         should reconsider their support for the war on drugs on the
basis that Scripture gives no justification for legal
         action against dope smokers and pill poppers, a flurry of
e-mail erupted across my screen.  While much of it was
         good, many were either hesitant or outright offended at the
notion of legalizing drugs.

         "Only drug dealers want legalization," wrote one reader, Jim,
adding, "Drugs are destroying this country inside
         and out." Then Jim offered this gem: "It was prophesized in
Revelation, 'For by thy sorceries (pharmakeia) were
         all nations deceived.'" Backing his charge that legalization
is bad news, Jim quoted the 18th Chapter of John's
         Apocalypse, making -- just as Rogers does -- a clear
connection between witchcraft and drug use.

         Aboard the same ideological bus is evangelical end-times guru
Jack Van Impe.  Writing about the latest outbreak of
         fad drug use in his April 1997 Intelligence Briefing, Van
Impe references the ninth and 18th chapters of
         Revelation, explaining the witchcraft-drugs connection when
he notes, "The term 'sorceries' in these texts comes
         from the Greek term -- pharmakeia -- translated 'pharmacy' or
'drugs.'" Indeed, pharmakeia is the word from
         which our terms "pharmacy" and "pharmaceutical" are derived.

         As I point out in "One toke over the line, sweet Jesus?"
there is little in Scripture directly condemning drugs, as
         such (mainly, God's word attacks drunkenness, insobriety and
dissipation).  Au contraire, say the proponents of the
         "pharmakeia factor," pinning drugs to Scripture's clear
condemnation of witchcraft and sorcery.

         It's all Greek to me A little lexical history is in order:
When the Hebrew Scriptures -- the Old Testament to us
         Christians -- found their way into the hands of the Greek
translators some 250 years before Christ was born, they
         translated the Hebrew word for sorcery with "pharmakeia,"
having connotations to both witchcraft and drugs.  As
         defined by the Liddell-Scott-Jones Lexicon of Classical
Greek, pharmakeia is tied to "the use of any kind of drugs,
         potions, or spells," as well as "poisoning or witchcraft."

         The connection is easy to see.  In many pagan societies
mind-altering substances were used in religious ceremonies.
         Along with the Greeks' use of drugs, the ancient Celts used
to "do" mistletoe -- and not for kissing; ditto for
         American Indians and their use of peyote.  The point wasn't,
however, to kick back and wig out on a batch of
         herb.  Drug use was not recreational; it was ceremonial.

         To see one Greek example of the use of pharmakeia, consider
the story of Jason and the Argonauts.  In one
         passage, translated by Sir James George Frazer, the hero
Jason goes to the sorceress Medea, who has the hots for
         him.  Not wanting him to be harmed in his upcoming battles,
she concocts a drug, a "pharmakon," for him if he'll
         marry her and take her to Greece.  "When Jason swore to do
so," Frazer's version goes, "she gave him a drug with
         which she bade him anoint his shield, spear, and body when he
was about to yoke the bulls; for she said that,
         anointed with it, he could for a single day be harmed neither
by fire nor by iron."

         The drug was magic.  We're not talking hashish here.  We're
not talking LSD.  We're talking oogie-boogie.
         Clearly, the word pharmakeia has much more to do with magic
than muddleheadedness, witchcraft than wiffle
         pipes, sorcery than smack.

         Consider the following passage from Leviticus.  Talking about
ceremonial cleanliness and keeping the faith
         unadulterated by pagan practices, God instructs in chapter 19,

         You shall not eat any flesh with the blood in it.  You shall
not practice augury or witchcraft.  You shall not round
         off the hair on your temples or mar the edges of your beard.
You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh on
         account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the
LORD.  Do not profane your daughter by making her a
         harlot, lest the land fall into harlotry and the land become
full of wickedness.  You shall keep my sabbaths and
         reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.  Do not turn to
mediums or wizards; do not seek them out, to be defiled
         by them: I am the LORD your God.

         As one e-mailer tipped me, "Obviously, this is not about
'don't take aspirin.'" All these things are indicative of the
         religious practices of the Canaanites -- including temple
prostitution, self-mutilation and divination -- whose land
         the Israelites were to occupy.  God didn't want them whoring
after the false gods of the natives.  This is made all
         the more obvious when we look at the original Hebrew words
from which the Greek translators were working.
         The Hebrew terms for witchcraft -- words like "kashaph,"
"qacam" and their derivatives -- refer to divination and
         spiritism; they have no drug-related connotations.  Zip,
zilch, nada, nil -- or "loh," as the Hebrew puts it.  God's
         concern in these passages isn't with LSD blotters or
hypodermic needles.  He's concerned with false religion.  It's
         just a lexical quirk that the Greek word is tainted with
definitional baggage -- being connected to the perverse
         religious practices of the Greeks -- and is thus susceptible
to manipulation in the current drug-war debate.

         While none of this is to suggest that getting plastered on
dope is scriptural (I don't believe it is), neither is it correct
         to say it's a form of witchcraft, deserving the same sort of
punishment.

         Defending bad ideas can be just about as entertaining as the
circus; the gymnastics are terrific.  It seems the mental
         contortion artists -- adroitly bending, stretching and
flipping logic with the greatest of ease -- are especially
         talented when it comes to debating drugs.  But in the end,
it's all just playing games with the text to arrive at a
         predetermined end -- saying dope is naughty.  This is using
Scripture to support, rather than reform, your
         prejudices.  And, at bottom, it's dishonest.

         Rather than allow cultural biases, gut instincts or basic
distaste to cloud our judgment, as Christians we need to take
         the drug debate to the bar of Scripture, which -- while
condemning drug abuse and insobriety -- provides no legal
         argument for pursuing a government-orchestrated war on drugs.
To contrast the sensibilities posed at the Shadow Conventions below is
a survey from the Democratic National Committee (DNC) web site on "the
best way to fight illegal drugs."

You must register to participate.

http://www.drugsense.org/dncsurvey/

What is the most effective way to fight the war on drugs?

1-Require drug testing of anyone arrested for a federal crime

2-Support innovative drug courts which force drug users to get
treatment or go to jail

3-Protect residents of public housing from violent criminals who use
their homes as a base for the drug trade

4-Fight casual drug use by young people through education and public
service announcements

5-Support the death penalty for drug kingpins

Clueless? Braindead? Foolish? Uninformed? Pick your adjective but the
DNC comes up a loser on all 5 suggestions in our view.
************************************
         RESEARCHERS SAY POT MAKES DRIVERS SAFER, MORE CAUTIOUS

         A study funded by the British government has concluded that
regular marijuana users drive more safely under the
         influence of cannabis.

         The study of 15 users, conducted by Britain's Transport
Research Laboratory, found that the mellowing effects of
         marijuana made drivers more cautious and less likely to drive
dangerously.  While marijuana did effect drivers, it
         was less dangerous than driving while fatigued or drunk.

         Regular cannabis users were supplied with "Grade A" marijuana
from the U.S.  for the study.  They took four
         weeks of tests on driving simulators to gauge their reaction time.

         When the study was announced in January, some believed it
would prove that driving under the influence of drugs
         - dubbed "drug-driving" in Britain - is just as dangerous as
drunk driving.

         Instead, the unexpected conclusion that mellow drivers are
relatively safe drivers has been embarrassing to the
         government.

         Still, the numbers show that high drivers are a hazard on the road.

         In Britain, the number of people involved in fatal accidents
found to have drugs in their blood jumped from three
         per cent in 1989 to 18 per cent last year.  Officials there
are posed to launch a roadside spot-check program to stop
         high drivers as well as a new television campaign that urges
viewers to "never drive on drugs."

         Experts agree that driving while high is not as safe as
driving while sober.  But several studies have shown that
         high drivers seem to recognize that they are impaired and are
therefore very cautious.

         "There are enough reports to suggest that people impaired by
alcohol are aggressive and drive faster," said Dr.
         Harold Kalant, a professor of pharmacology at the university
of Toronto and a researcher with the Addiction
         Research Foundation.