----- Original Message -----
From: "MICHAEL SPITZER" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 7:14 PM
Subject: [CTRL] Clinton to attend United Nations Millennium Summit

> [Check the last paragraph! Our "Founding Fathers" are turming
> over in their graves:( --MS]

Hmm...looks like they patterned this thing after the Constitutional Convention
in Philadelphia in 1786, which was completely sequestered from the public.  The
Founding Fathers even went so far as to close and lock all the doors and windows
to Carpenters' Hall and cover all windows with heavy drapes to rule out any
possibility of someone hearing or seeing what was being deliberated inside.  The
Founding Fathers, for the most part, did not trust the "mobile faction," to use
Alexander Hamilton's phrase...

> WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House said on Tuesday that
> President Clinton will attend next month's U.N. Millennium Summit
> in New York, an event billed as the largest-ever gathering of
> heads of state.

Clinton will be attending the signing of a peace treaty in Burundi next week, I
believe, following his state visit to Nigeria; apparently he wants at least
*one* peace treaty under his belt by the time he leaves office.  I begin to
suspect that he is angling to become U.N. Secretary General when Kofi Annan
steps down.