----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Petkov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [address list snipped]
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2000 12:30 AM
Subject: [July30] Out on the left coast

July 30 in Philly - www.unity2000.com

Why Nader country might count

The Green Party won't win the White House, but it could sway enough voters
here to change who does.

Brad Knickerbocker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

MEDFORD, ORE.

 Do you think that Nader will have any impact on Gore's campaign?
Talk about it.

It's called the "upper left coast" - that 800-mile stretch from San Francisco
Bay to Puget Sound. And along with its spectacular scenery, it probably has
more political progressives per square mile than any place this side of
Harvard Square.

This is Ralph Nader country, the region where the fiery consumer advocate and
Green Party presidential candidate - although he has virtually no chance of
winning the White House - could make all the difference in who does.

"A year ago it was a whisper in the wind," says Tim Hermach, an environmental
activist in Eugene, Ore. "Now I hear a rumble, and come November it could be a
shout."

Why the Nader attraction up here?

For one thing, there's a history of labor and social activism going back more
than a century. This quadrant of the American geopolitical landscape is
synonymous with free speech (Berkeley), the remnants of hippiedom (Humboldt
County in northern California), overt dissent (the World Trade Organization
meeting in Seattle), today's version of anarchism (Eugene, Ore.), and
environmental activism throughout.

There's also a tradition of maverick politicians from Wayne Morse to Tom
McCall to Mark Hatfield to the majority on today's Seattle City Council, who
are members of the Green Party. While 19 percent of the country was going for
Ross Perot in '92, the diminutive Texas billionaire was winning more than
one-fourth of the presidential vote in this part of the country.

"Perot was a bit of a fascist, but at least he was talking common-man talk,"
says Mr. Hermach.

Nader's message of environmental protection, social justice, and grass-roots
democracy resonates with many here - particularly those who see little
difference between "compassionate conservative" Republicans, buffing a more
centrist image, and the predominant New Democrats, who have shifted their
party rightward.

"Back in 1992, I was really excited about Al Gore," says Washington State
activist and author David Korten. "My wife and I sent him a substantial
campaign contribution and talked up his candidacy with our friends."

But today, Mr. Korten told the Green Party convention in June, "we are Greens
because we are no longer willing to be manipulated by a political system in
which the Republicrats present us with a nonchoice among candidates bought and
paid for with corporate money."

Dan Hamburg, a former Democratic member of Congress from northern California
who switched to being Green, echoes many Nader supporters when he says, "I'm
tired of the Democratic Party taking us for granted."

Gore may have gotten a post-convention bounce in the polls, but with Nader
running a full-blown campaign this year (as opposed to his desultory effort in
1996), the vice president could be in trouble out here. Political analyst
Charles Cook includes Oregon and Washington as among the dozen states "too
close to call."

"In closer presidential contests, like this one,... tiny states, which carry
disproportional weight in the Electoral College, become a factor," he says.

"It's tempting to completely dismiss [Reform Party hopeful Patrick] Buchanan,
and for that matter, Green Party candidate Ralph Nader as insignificant
factors in this race. But if this is going to be a really close race, small
things could be important."

Still, some observers throw a spray of cold, north Pacific water on the Nader
phenomenon. Citing the historical record of other left-wing candidates such as
Henry Wallace in 1948 and Eugene McCarthy 20 years later, Oregon State
University political scientist William Lunch says, "It's an interesting
phenomenon which will dissipate and go away as we get closer to the
election."

"In the short run, this is fun and it's a nice diversion," he adds. "But in
the long run, it's a footnote to our real politics."

For the moment, however, the Nader movement is very much abuzz in the Pacific
Northwest.

This past weekend, Mr. Nader packed a political rally in Portland. More than
10,000 people paid $7 each to attend, a larger group than any that has come
out to see either George Bush or Al Gore - including their conventions.

Nader's running mate is a big draw in this part of the country as well. She's
Winona LaDuke, a native American author and activist from Minnesota who grew
up in Ashland, Ore., graduated from Harvard in economics, and in 1994 was
named by Time magazine as one of America's 50 most-promising young leaders.

Many supporters feel as Steve Traisman of Ashland does: "If you vote for the
lesser of two evils, you still end up with evil." Mr. Traisman voted for the
Clinton-Gore ticket four years ago. But today he says he's fed up with the
major-party candidates and says, "I feel that Ralph Nader is the only honest
man that's ever run for president."

As the Democrats' vice-presidential candidate, Joseph Lieberman, with his
pro-business record, could make things even tougher for Gore in this area. And
the "don't waste your vote and get Bush elected" argument put forth by
Democratic officials doesn't necessarily play here.

That's because there's a school of thought among such Nader supporters as
environmental guru David Brower that, between Gore and Bush, it may be better
to end up with the Texan. That would set the stage for a strong third party,
while driving the Democrats back toward their more progressive roots.

(Professor Lunch at Oregon State notes ironically that this "the worse, the
better" strategy was followed by the German Communist Party in 1932 before
Adolf Hitler came to power.)

"It's kind of a crap shoot ... dangerous when you look at Bush's record,"
concedes Mr. Hamburg, the former congressman. "Gore's a little better, but is
he that much better?"

Both major-party candidate teams are spending lots of time here.

Republican vice-presidential nominee Richard Cheney was in southern Oregon a
few days ago, making his pitch in rural areas - to farmers, ranchers, loggers,
and mill workers who oppose the Clinton-Gore environmental record of resource
preservation.

With those folks going for the GOP and many enviros disappointed with the
Clinton-Gore record and favoring Nader, it could be a long campaign for
Gore-Lieberman in the Pacific Northwest.

[Non-text material has been snipped.]