-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.drugwar.com/reviews.htm

Click Here: <A HREF="http://www.drugwar.com/reviews.htm">
http://www.drugwar.com/reviews.htm</A>
-----
  "Dan Russell is a paradigm shifter of the first order. In the twenty-two
years that I have been living the seemingly intractable problem of drugs, the
economy, government and ethics I have found myself being compelled to answer
ever larger and larger questions.... With a sixteen page bibliography and
more than 1300 footnotes, Russell has gone outside "the box" to provide
explanations that resonate with my life’s journey and the better parts of the
human spirit as I have found them. As a recovering alcoholic who, as part of
his spiritual life, uses no mind altering chemicals of any kind, the
historical truths of shamanic pharmacology and their implications ring
totally true. The race has been cut off from itself. Dan Russell has expanded
my consciousness. Out of hundreds of books I have read there are only fifteen
on my top reference shelf, Drug War is now one of them. Anyone who wants to
understand the real issues raised by drugs and the drug war cannot afford to
bypass this seminal work." Michael C. Ruppert, former LAPD narcotics
investigator; anti-CIA activist; publisher/editor - From The Wilderness @
www.copvcia.com

    "I just finished Drug War. Wow! I have learned so much and enjoyed this
read tremendously. Your book was a watershed event for me. It helped me 'see
the world whole' and understand the drug business and the war on drugs in an
important new way. We are all pressed for time, but reading your book was the
ultimate time saver for me. There is nothing more powerful than understanding
the chaos when you are in it....Your book is a monumental achievement....for
goodness sakes this needs to get out asap. Excellent is excellent!" Catherine
Austin Fitts, Federal Housing Commissioner, 1989-90; President, Solari, Inc.;
www.solari.com
    "Dan Russell's Drug War goes to the heart of the so-called
'drug-problem', really a 'prohibition-problem': extra-curricular drug- and
gun-running by numerous governments, with that of the United States at the
head of the list, its cynical and duplicitous 'war on drugs' notwithstanding
- nought but a racist war on the poor and disenfranchised, both nationally
and internationally, and withal a 'war on the drug competition'; nor ought we
to forget who invented modern money laundering shell-games, nor who profits
the most from them. I urge you to read Dan Russell's shocking exposé - may it
serve as a much-needed wake-up call!" Jonathan Ott, author/co-author of
Pharmacophilia Or The Natural Paradises, Pharmacotheon, Persephone's Quest,
The Road To Eleusis, Hallucinogenic Plants of North America, The Age of
Entheogens, etc.
    "The best book I ever read on the Drug War." Celerino Castillo III, lead
DEA agent in Guatemala and El Salvador, 1985-90, who developed much of the
Contra cocaine evidence; author of Powderburns; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    "Drug War epitomizes such books as Alexander Cockburn’s Whiteout, Alfred
McCoy’s The Politics of Heroin, and Gary Webb’s Dark Alliance all together,
with riveting photography throughout. Written in an easy to read, flowing
style that is entertaining while at the same time amazingly detailed,
concise, and to the point, Drug War covers one hell of a lot of ground. With
a sixteen page bibliography, and a copious amount of footnotes, this is a
very in-depth look at the current state of affairs, the whys and wherefores
of the Drug War." Preston Peet, High Times Magazine
    "Dan Russell's sequel Drug War is on par with Howard Zinn's People's
History of the United States. This historical account needs to be in every
educational institution, beginning with high school, to tell the other side
of the story of our loss of earth-based ecstasy. Drug War brilliantly shows
how our healing relationship with plant allies came to be replaced with the
prevailing political agenda of drug propaganda. I recommend this great book,
which I personally couldn't put down as it engages like a historical /
political novel, for all schools of free thinkers. It is the central text in
our homeschool for my teenagers this year!" Jeannine Parvati Baker, author of
Hygieia:A Woman's Herbal; Conscious Conception:Elemental Journey Through the
Labyrinth of Sexuality; Prenatal Yoga & Natural Birth: Freestone Innerprizes:
Optimal Personal & Family Health
    "In Drug War, author Dan Russell convincingly demonstrates that the
current CIA-Drugs debate is part of a larger societal struggle between the
forces of freedom and those of repression, and that the phony 'drug war' is
really just a 'trojan horse' in the creation of what has been called
'friendly fascism.' Drug War is an amazingly entertaining read, and the most
comprehensive look yet at the biggest mystery of our culture: why drugs are
illegal, who profits, and who benefits... a tour de force of intellectual
courage and honesty on a subject which encourages neither." Daniel Hopsicker,
The Drug Money Times, author of the upcoming Barry and the Boys
    "An important, strenuously argued contribution to the case against our
nation's scandalous narcotics policies and laws. Particularly valuable are
the the encyclopaedic historical and anthropological perspectives which the
author brings to bear on our cultural crisis. His scathing review of today's
unjust confiscation and sentencing statutes is balanced by encouraging and
badly-needed statistics about the successes of alternatives, such as the
Dutch decriminalization program." Peter Dale Scott, English Department,
University of California, Berkeley, author of Cocaine Politics, Deep Politics
, Crime & Cover-Up, Coming To Jakarta, etc.
    "Russell provides a vibrant, detailed history of drug use and drug
policy. This book should be studied by anyone working to develop a policy
that works. It is obvious that we are currently repeating mistakes we have
made in the past -- hopefully this book will be widely read and more sensible
approaches can be pursued."
     "Russell's review of history shows that drug prohibition enforced by a
war on drugs will not only fail, it will make health, crime and other
drug-related policies worse. By learning from history we can break the
spiraling cycle of extremist policies and enact more cost-effective
approaches that create a safer and healthier America." Kevin Zeese,
Esq.,President, Common Sense For Drug Policy

     "A very impressive piece of work! You have given the reader a detailed
description of prohibition and criminalization, and a chronicle of the early
U.S. legal issues and bureaucratic decisions. Further, you have sketched out
the economic, social, and political reasons for those decisions. Your
anecdotes are enjoyable, your breadth is magnificent, and the data are
well-supported... This is a hard-hitting account that will disturb many of
its readers, but may also expand their perspective by offering alternative
options to what has become a no-win situation." Stanley Krippner, PH.D.,
co-author of The Mythic Path, co-editor of Broken Images, Broken Selves
    Journal of Cognitive Liberties: "a penetrating examination of the host of
forces currently supporting the modern Drug War...sure to become an essential
addition to the Drug War library." Richard Glen Boire, Esq., Executive
Director, The Alchemind Society
    "Mr. Russell has produced a work of careful scholarship that will
interest not only the participants in the drug wars, but the drug-gang
victims as well. This piece of contextually multidimentional history is
academic in the finest tradition, and, realistically, should be required
reading for junior high, high school, and college students as a rational
substitute for the "Just Say No" ditty. Teachers, by reading and discussing
this volume with their students, might derive an attitude adjustment. The
rationale is to drive home the point that while not all illegal substances
are harmful as officially alleged, uninformed substance abuse is not
innocuous."
    "A fascinating tapestry of nineteenth and twentieth century history
weaves highly informative pictures of medicine, racism, security agencies,
and popular political movements such as neocolonialism. Some of the materials
are usually excluded from current history books, and the author pulls no
punches. And gives names, dates, and places accurately. Many of our best
youth will recognize Drug War, the book, as the product of a writer who is
shining a light on the subject of substances rather than shining them on in
the customary way of often-uninformed society."
    "Drug War is heady, irreverent stuff because the reader is confronted
with a huge succession of inescapable facts that challenge one’s views of the
use and abuse of substances, both natural and synthetic. As in many other
arenas of life, attitude is everything. "Pharmaco-shamanism" as laid out in
great detail in Russell’s previous book, Shamanism and the Drug Propaganda,
is reified in Drug War as one meaningful and sensible path between the
extremes of a "fixation on sobriety" and some cultural acceptances of
constant, purposeless intoxication. Legitimate medical information and
roadmaps and systems of consciousness such as meditative practices help the
potential substance abuser to steer a clear path between the extremes of drug
abuse and drug-phobic sobriety to a healthy spiritual life facilitated in
part by culturally-defined sacraments. The politico-historical element of
substance use/abuse is partly summarized by Russell when he says, "since it
prefers to finance physicians rather than drug-gangs, Holland has virtually
eliminated drug-related crime." Marshall F. Gilula, M.D., EEG/Epilepsy
Fellow, Department of Neurology, University of Miami School of Medicine;
www.mindspring.com/~mgilula
    "Drug War is a sometimes glittering tale of how corrupted drug control
and global politics are soul mates. As long as this war lasts, Russell's book
is an encyclopedic weapon for drug policy reform intellectuals and soldiers."
Peter D.A. Cohen Ph.D, Director, The Centre for Drug Research, University of
Amsterdam
    "Dan Russel's Drug War is one of the more comprehensive studies on the
real life truth about the real drug war and the lies that have been told to
the American public. I recommend it to anyone who wants to understand how
American 'politics' plays an important role in this political lie called the
'Drug War'. The American public should be informed and make immediate changes
to the American political structure before it is too late. Otherwise, we will
become like our own worst enemies. I am afraid that it is a current reality."
John Carman, former Senior U.S. Customs Agent, and whistle-blower:
www.carmaninvestigations.com   amerikanexpose.com/customs

    "Drug War’s sickening hypothesis unfortunately makes intuitive sense once
articulated, and has the broad power not only to tie together a vast array of
seemingly unrelated geopolitical events, but explain the otherwise
unexplainable drug war. This book should be required reading for anyone who
is puzzled by the seeming irrationality of current drug policy, concerned
with the steady erosion of civil liberties...or simply seeks to understand
the history of the 20th century from a new angle. I highly recommend it." R.
Andrew Sewell, M.D., University of Massachusetts/Memorial Health Care

    "Russell’s Drug War is an excellent antidote to the drumbeat for ever
increasing incarceration and punitive drug policies. We can learn a great
deal from Drug War about how our society got into the self-destructive mess
we are in, and how we can work our way out." Rick Doblin, founder and
president of the Multidisciplinary Association For Psychedelic Studies:
www.maps.org

    "Although I am not an expert in many of the areas covered, I find this
general history to be well written, easy to read, and fascinating. I believe
it will be one more nail in the coffin of the Drug War." Lester Grinspoon,
M.D., Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School

    "A frightening but fascinating book - An in-depth, accurate and very
detailed story covering more than a century of disastrous US policies on
drugs and public health. Every American should read it." Alain Pire, founder
de huy! : groupe pop/psyché originaire de la ville susnommée:
http://members.xoom.com/al_pire; BS, communications, Liège University; MS,
computer science, Namur University; Ph.D. on creativity and entheogens in the
sixties in prep; French translator of Drug War.
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.
Em Hotep, Peace Be,