There is another case of a law student convicted of rape who served 10 years and upon his release the first thing he did was earn money and have DNA testing done which prove his innocence.  He is demanding a full pardon (too late!) to clear his name from Gov. Bush.  It seems to me the State should either pay for all cases to have DNA done immediately or be required to pay reprimand to these people wrongly convicted.  I am shocked and sickened at how many there are with wrong convictions.  I thought our system was designed to "let 100 guilty go free before convicting one innocent."
Amelia
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2000 1:57 AM
Subject: [CTRL] Wisconsin students work on criminal case in TX!!!

Wisconsin students working to free Texas convict

October 7, 2000
Web posted at: 2:29 AM EDT (0629 GMT)

MADISON, Wisconsin (AP) -- Hours of work by University of Wisconsin-Madison law students and professors may soon pay off for a Texas man who has spent the past decade serving life in prison for murder.

The Wisconsin Innocence Project successfully fought for DNA testing that could set Christopher Ochoa free and is now awaiting word from the Texas district attorney handling the case on what will happen next.

Ochoa, 33, and another man were convicted for the 1988 rape and murder of Nancy DePriest, 20, a Pizza Hut worker in Austin, Texas. Both men were sentenced to life prison terms.

Preliminary DNA tests showed Ochoa was not linked to the crime, said John Pray, co-director of the Wisconsin Innocence Project. The Capital Times reported the preliminary test results this week.

The project is a two-semester course for second- and third-year law students.

Pray said the Travis County district attorney's office did the DNA testing after the project began investigating Ochoa's case.