-Caveat Lector-

Err,don't blame me, blame the pioneering settlers c. 150 years ago. Those kind of
people are into country music I guess.

This is from the Melbourne Age

http://www.theage.com.au/news/20001012/A45580-2000Oct11.html

Diplomat kills wife, hangs himself

By TOBY HEMMING
Thursday 12 October 2000

A 28-year-old Chinese diplomat smothered his wife before hanging himself, causing
embarrassment to the Chinese Government, a coroner was told yesterday.

The Coroner's Court heard that after the deaths of Mr Chang Xu and Ms Jing Yang, 25,
in June last year, the Chinese consul-general in Melbourne, Mr Wu Ronge, told police
his government considered the matter embarrassing and wanted no media coverage.

The consulate later ordered that no autopsies be done on the bodies.

The husband was found hanging from a staircase bannister at the couple's Greville
Street, Prahran, apartment on June 2, 1999. His wife's body was in an upstairs
bathroom.

The couple, who had been married in Beijing four months earlier, worked at the Chinese
consulate in Irving Road, Toorak, their first international assignment.

Coroner Jacinta Heffey yesterday said the wife most likely died after being smothered
with a pillow. She might have been drugged by her husband.

Investigating officer Detective Sergeant John Laird told the court the couple had
marital difficulties after arriving in Melbourne in February, 1999. The wife, a visa
application processor, had reported being physically abused by her husband and had
been forced, in the days before her death, to stay at the consulate.

A consulate official later told police the wife was a modern woman and her husband,
who had wanted a "wife of more traditional style", did not consider her a good
housekeeper.

A police search of the couple's apartment found a note written by the husband that
said: "Marriage is sacred. I love Jing Jing deeply. Chang Xu."

Ms Heffey found Jing Yang was murdered by Chang Xu, who had earlier failed to end his
life by self-mutilation.