-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

001569.  Naval casualties arrive at Ramstein Air Base

RAMSTEIN AIR BASE, Germany (AFPN) -- A C-17 Globemaster aircraft arrived at
Ramstein Air Base at 6:30 p.m. Oct 13 with the remains of five sailors
killed in an apparent attack on the USS Cole in Yemen.  Honors were rendered
to the fallen sailors by the 86th Airlift Wing Honor Guard and a flight of
sailors from Naval Air Station Sigonella, Sicily.

The remains are scheduled to be transported to Dover Air Force Base, Del.,
Oct. 14 for mortuary services.  Also Saturday, a memorial service is planned
at the Norfolk Naval Base in Virginia, the USS Cole's home port.

001563.  Article 32 hearing set for C-130 pilot

LITTLE ROCK AIR FORCE BASE, Ark. (AFPN) -- An Article 32 hearing to
investigate charges against a 61st Airlift Squadron pilot will begin at 8:30
a.m. here Oct. 16.

The charges against Capt. Darron A. Haughn stem from his role as aircraft
commander in a Dec. 10, 1999, accident at Ahmed Al Jaber Air base, Kuwait.
Three airmen were killed and seven were injured when the C-130E he piloted
landed short of the Al Jaber runway.

Haughn is charged with violating two articles of the Uniform Code of
Military Justice, Article 92, dereliction of duty, and Article 134,
negligent homicide.

The hearing, conducted under Article 32 of the UCMJ, will inquire into the
truth of the matters set forth in the charges, consider the form of the
charges to ensure that they are consistent with and conform to the evidence
presented, and make recommendations as to the disposition of the case in the
interest of justice, good order, and discipline.

Brig. Gen. Paul Fletcher, 314th Airlift Wing Commander and special
courts-martial convening authority, appointed Lt. Col. Gregory Pavlik, U.S.
Air Force Trial Judiciary Central Circuit, as the investigating officer.

Base officials said the hearing, which is open to the public, could take as
long two weeks.

"The Article 32 hearing is similar to the civilian preliminary hearing and
grand-jury process," said Air Mobility Command spokesperson, Capt. Jeff
Glenn.  "Unlike civilian grand jury proceedings, the Article 32 hearing
affords the accused an opportunity to see the evidence against him and
present any information he deems important for consideration.  The accused
has the right to be present throughout the hearing, to be represented by
counsel, to cross-examine witnesses against him and to present witnesses of
his own."

At the conclusion of the judicial investigation, Fletcher will receive a
recommended course of action from the investigating officer. Fletcher will
then decide whether or not the charges against Haughn will be dismissed,
addressed through action short of court-martial, sent to a special
court-martial or forwarded to Maj. Gen. George N. Williams, 21st Air Force
commander, for general court-martial consideration.  Williams is the general
court-martial convening authority for the case.

A special court-martial is an intermediate-level court, while a general
court-martial is reserved for the most serious of offenses.

Glenn stressed the charges are only accusations at this time and added,
"under the UCMJ, Captain Haughn is presumed innocent until proven guilty
beyond a reasonable doubt."  (Courtesy of AMC News Service)

001564.  Word change communicates AFMC's desire for mission focus
by Staff Sgt. Carl Norman
Air Force Materiel Command Public Affairs

WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio (AFPN) -- There is more to a name than
people might think, according to Air Force Materiel Command officials.

The command recently changed its "business area" focus to "mission areas" --
a move designed to show its commitment to supporting the warfighter with a
more common terminology.

"Since 1997 we've focused on the customer, the bottom line, outputs and
understanding our costs more, and we've done that through a
business-management approach," said Maj. Gen. Todd Stewart, AFMC's plans and
programs director.

"Now that we're making progress toward that end in our own organization, we
want to be able to communicate more effectively and tell the command's story
to the rest of the Air Force in a way that's more commonly understood.  So
we renamed AFMC's inner workings from business areas to mission areas to add
more of a mission emphasis."

AFMC's mission areas are:

-- Science and technology:  discover, develop, demonstrate and transition
affordable, integrated technologies that keep the United States Air Force
the best in the world.

-- Test and evaluation:  provide customers the highest quality development
test and evaluation, air traffic control and weather services at the lowest
possible cost.

-- Information management:  provide network services and data sharing to
make sure customers have the right information anywhere, any time, on
demand.

-- Product support:  provide life-cycle management for Air Force
war-fighting systems.

-- Supply management:  provide spare parts needed in war and peace.

-- Depot maintenance:  repair systems and spare parts to keep the Air Force
ready in peacetime and provide sustainment to combat forces in wartime.

-- The information services activity group:  develop, acquire, sustain and
integrate combat support information systems for Air Force and Defense
Department customers.

-- And installations and support:  sustain the missions and people at AFMC
bases and deployed locations with quality facilities, environments and
support services at the lowest possible cost.

Gen. Michael Ryan, Air Force chief of staff, said AFMC, under the leadership
of its previous commander, Gen. George T. Babbitt, introduced a
business-management analogy as a way to communicate the goals and objects
they were trying to achieve.  This vision put heavy emphasis on building
efficiency and effectiveness into every step of the process of supporting
the Air Force warfighter with safe, reliable, powerful and affordable
systems.

"Just as the Wright Brothers proved their flying machine concepts at the
turn of the last century, Gen. George Babbitt has implemented new concepts
to keep our Air Force in tip-top fighting shape well into the next century,"
Ryan said.  "He has been on the forefront of solidifying the efficiency of
our business affairs, improving cost accountability and creating agile
combat support."

That vision has carried over to AFMC's current commander, Gen. Lester Lyles,
and managing costs without sacrificing quality or effectiveness is still the
goal.

"There is a real perception in the eyes of some key people in the Air Force
leadership that AFMC has lost its focus on supporting the warfighters and
that we're more interested in being a business organization and saving money
instead of supporting the warfighters," said Lyles.  "Nothing could be
further from the truth.

"My goal is to make sure everyone understands our number one objective is to
support the warfighters for the United States Air Force," he said.  "AFMC's
mission area focus is how we're able to operationalize our processes and how
we operate on a day-to-day basis.  It's the key to how we accomplish our
mission.

"Our mission area management is the right thing to do for this command; it's
the right thing to do for the United States Air Force; and it's had
tremendous, tremendous payoff."

Although the command has experienced success with the business-type
approach, Stewart's main concern is overcoming a predominantly
"budget-management" culture, where people are focused primarily on getting
more money and spending it all with little or no regard to what they
accomplished.

"There's a notion among many Air Force people that if they don't spend all
their money, they won't get it next year, and that's true," Stewart said.
"But many people never ask the question, 'Do I really need it next year?'
There's just always that assumption they always need more."

He said the AFMC approach is trying to get people to ask, "What did I
actually produce with my budget and did it meet standards or not?  And if it
did meet standards, how can I produce the same sort of output with less
money?"

"That's a question we never really asked before," Stewart said.  "We often
paid lip service to the notion that we ought to give the federal taxpayer a
break and try to be efficient.  But, quite frankly, it was easier to whine
for more money than to do the difficult task of really getting more
efficient; so that's where we put our emphasis.  It's time for that to
change."

Stewart said he doesn't expect AFMC's terminology change to have a dramatic
impact on the Air Force, but he hopes it will make it easier to communicate
the command's philosophies and strategies.

"The way we do things is certainly not unique to this command, but I'd say
to some degree, we're showing the way for others, and certainly ourselves in
that we're doing better than we used to," Stewart said.  "I'm sure there are
other organizations in the Air Force who are equally committed and
aggressive in managing their outputs and productivity.  I hope we can all
work together, because we're not done with this journey by any means."

001561.  Service demographics offer snapshot of the force

RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFPN) -- The Air Force Personnel Center here
recently published its quarterly report on the active-duty and civilian
populace.

The report offers a snapshot of the service's active-duty and civilian
employees, providing a more descriptive look at the service.

The latest version covers July 1 through Sept. 30.  This demographic
information is also available on the center's World Wide Web homepage at
www.afpc.randolph.af.mil in the public affairs area.  There is also more
statistical information under the center's analysis page in the personnel
statistics area.

Active-Duty Demographics

Force Strength
-- Approximately 351,379 individuals are on active duty; 69,023 officers and
282,356 enlisted personnel
-- The Air Force has 12,275 pilots, 4,960 navigators and 34,026 non-rated
line officers in the grades of lieutenant colonel and below

Age
-- The average age of the officer force is 35; for the enlisted force it's
29
-- Of the force, 37 percent are below the age of 26
        ---- 43 percent of enlisted versus 13 percent officer
Sex
-- 19 percent of the force are women
        ---- 17 percent of the officers and 19 percent of the enlisted
        ---- 54 percent of the female officers are line officers; 46 percent
are non-line
        ---- 84 percent of the male officers are line officers; 16 percent
are non-line
- The population of women has increased from 33,000 (5.4 percent) in 1975 to
66,172
- Women first began entering pilot training in 1976, fighter pilot training
in July 1993 and navigator training in 1977
        ---- Currently there are 408 (3 percent) female pilots and 146 (3
percent) female navigators

Race/Ethnic Group
-- Racial minority representation has risen from 14 percent in 1975 to 26
percent
-- 74.26 percent of the force are Caucasian, 16.06 percent Black, 4.86
percent Hispanic, and 4.82 percent Other
        ---- Officers: 85.40 percent Caucasian, 6.41 percent Black, 2.24
percent Hispanic, and 5.95 percent Other
        ---- Enlisted: 71.54 percent Caucasian, 18.41 percent Black, 5.50
percent Hispanic, and 4.55 percent Other

Marital Status
-- 62 percent of the current force is married
        ---- 73 percent of the officers and 59 percent of the enlisted
-- There are 17,100 military couples in the Air Force
        ---- 1,216 of these are married to members of other services

Dependents
-- Active duty members supported 507,017 dependents
        ---- 414,709 are dependents-in-household

Overseas
-- 21 percent of the current force is assigned overseas
        ---- 10,292 officers and 62,937 enlisted personnel

Total Active Federal Military Service
-- The average total active federal military service is 11 years for
officers and 9 years for enlisted

Academic Education
-- 55 percent of the officers have advanced or professional degrees
        ---- 44 percent have a master's, 10 percent have professional
degrees, and 2 percent have doctorates
        ---- 29 percent of company grade officers have advanced degrees; 21
percent have a master's, 8 percent have professional degrees, and 0.3
percent have doctorates
        ---- 91 percent of field grade officers have advanced degrees; 74
percent have a master's, 14 percent have professional degrees, and 3 percent
have doctorates
-- 100 percent of the enlisted force have at least a high school education
        ---- 90 percent have some semester hours towards a college degree
        ---- 14 percent have an associate's degree or equivalent semester
hours
        ---- 4 percent have a BA/BS
        ---- 0.7 percent have a MA/MS

Component
-- 53 percent of the officers have a Regular commission
        ---- 57 percent of the line officers have a Regular commission

Professional Military Education
-- 61 percent of the officers have completed one or more PME courses
        ---- As their highest PME, 8,691 have completed at least one Senior
Service School, 14,542 have completed an Intermediate Service School, while
19,148 have completed Squadron Officer School

Source of Commission
-- 20 percent of the officers were commissioned through the Air Force
Academy, 42 percent through ROTC, and 20 percent through OTS
        ---- The remaining 18 percent were commissioned from other sources
(direct appointment, etc.)

Term of Enlistment
-- 37 percent of the enlisted personnel are serving in their first term of
enlistment
- 16 percent are on their second and 47 percent are on their third or
greater term of enlistment

Total Civilian Strength
-- As of Sept. 30 there were 143,688 civilian employees
        ---- 75 percent are white collar and 25 percent are blue collar

Citizenship
-- 133,240 are U.S. citizens including U.S. nationals (9,588 are Air Force
Reserve Technicians)
        ---- 10,437 are Foreign national employees
        -- 11 are other Non-US employees in the U.S. or territory

Age
-- The average age is 46 years

Length of Service
-- The average length of service is 16 year

Gender
-- 36 percent are female and 64 percent are male

Race/Ethnic Group
-- 70.8 percent are white, 23.7 percent are minority, and 5.5 percent are
not reported
        ---- 10.9 percent are Black, 7.9 percent Hispanic, and 4.9 percent
Other Minority

Overseas
-- 12 percent of total work force are assigned overseas (17,057)
        ---- 39 percent are U.S. citizens including U.S. nationals. This is
5.9
percent (8,100) of all U.S. citizens
   -- 61 percent are Local Nationals
   -- 0 percent are Other Non-U.S. employees in U.S. or territory

Education
- White Collar
- 37 percent have a college degree
        ---- 13 percent have master's and 1 percent have a Ph.D
        ---- 29 percent have accumulated hours toward a bachelor's degree
        ---- 10 percent have an associate's degree or equivalent
        ---- 25 percent have at least a high school education
        ---- 6 percent have less than a high school diploma
- Blue Collar
- 4 percent have a college degree
        ---- Less than 1 percent have a Master's degree
- 31 percent have accumulated hours toward a bachelor's degree
        ---- 10 percent have an associate's degree or equivalent
- 54 percent have at least a high school education or equivalent
- 11 percent have less than a high school diploma

Professional Military Education
- 5,473 civilian employees have completed one or more PME schools
        ---- 2,001 completed Squadron Officers School
        ---- 2,608 completed Intermediate Service School
        ---- 864 completed Senior Service School

Executive Level Training
- 225 employees have completed executive level training
        ---- 33 Congressional Fellowship Programs
        ---- 121 Executive and Senior Leadership
        ---- 39 Public Administration Graduate School
        ---- 32 Management Graduate School

001565.  Now Showing:  Oct. 16 edition of Air Force Television News

SAN ANTONIO (AFPN) -- The unveiling of the newest generation unmanned combat
aerial vehicle highlights the latest edition of Air Force Television News.
Senior Airman Eric Kerr reports from St. Louis where the pilotless aircraft
was unveiled.  The new UCAV will join the Predator and Global Hawk.

Also in this edition, the Air Force secretary and the Air Force chief of
staff both address service readiness and a lack of adequate funding to meet
Air Force mission demands.  Technical Sgt. Erik Brazones is on hand at
Buckley Air National Guard Base in suburban Denver, Colo, as the
installation becomes an active duty Air Force base after 40 years of Air
Guard administration.

In other stories, Tech. Sgt. Dean Padgett reports from Florida on a testing
program to determine if there are toxic effects of the fuel the Air Force
uses to power its jet aircraft; Tech. Sgt. David Pullen spotlights two
medical technologies keeping Air Force medicine on the cutting edge; Staff
Sgt. Fitzgerald Stewart goes to Dover AFB in Delaware to report on the
continuing cooperation between the National Association for Stock Car Auto
Racing, NASCAR, and the Air Force to bolster the service's recruiting
efforts; and, Senior Airman Israel Aviles reports on the cooperation between
Minot, N.D., and its namesake Air Force base that is making life easier for
commercial air travelers while the Minot International Airport runway is
being repaired.

Air Force Television News is a biweekly production of Air Force News
Service.  It is distributed on videotape to more than 3,000 military and
civilian outlets worldwide, and is seen on more than 700 cable outlets
worldwide.  It can also be seen on the World Wide Web at either www.af.mil
or www.broadcastairforce.com.  Viewers can comment on the program by sending
e-mail to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A vote for Bush or Gore is a vote to continue Clinton policies!
A vote for Buchanan is a vote to continue America!
Therefore a vote for Gore or Bush is a wasted vote for America!
Don't waste your vote!  Vote for Patrick Buchanan!

Today, candor compels us to admit that our vaunted two-party system is a
snare and a delusion, a fraud upon the nation. Our two parties have become
nothing but two wings of the same bird of prey...
Patrick Buchanan