-Caveat Lector-

At the moment the prisons here are so overcrowded, they will use practically any
excuse to keep someone out of prison, and short sentences are common. The heroin
epidemic means that 90% of people currently imprisoned are drug addicts (and not pot
smokers either, these are mainly heroin addicts who consistently break into houses or
rob people with syringes). All the prisons are full. All the police cells are full
(which the police are always complaining about). During the recent S11 protests, the
government was planning to use tempoary cells in case of mass arrests.

The law here also says that if you are bailed and then rearrested for a similar
offence, you MUST NOT be given bail again except under exceptional circumstances.
However due to the overcrowding, bail is almost always granted to all but the most
violent repeat offenders, and trafficking relatively small amounts of heroin is
considered nothing more than a slap on the wrist offence.

This is quite a common situation. After all, he was only sending money to overseas
charities. I wouldn't be surprised if the case wasn't partly persecution knowing the
crooked courts here BTW.

The previous Government also started that great social experiment, private prisons.
Just last month one of the smaller private prisons had their contract cancelled for
consistent failure to reach standards and consistent breach of various laws in the
running of the prison. The prisoners love the private prisons, as they can essentially
extort favours from the warders by threatening to smash the place up (which they do
frequently), and which damage has to be paid for by the private companies, as well as
damaging their performance ratings (riots tend to do that).