-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!
Tuesday, October 17, 2000

Buchanan: Attack on Cole is act of war
By Steven Bruss
Green Bay Press-Gazette

The United States should respond to the attack on the USS
Cole as it would an act of war, Reform Party presidential
candidate Pat Buchanan said Monday.

"We should run down the organizations and the sponsors, and
we should make them pay a hellish price for the massacre of
our sailors," said Buchanan during a wide-ranging, half-hour
interview with the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

Buchanan, a former member of the Republican Party and an
adviser to presidents Nixon and Reagan, is running well behind
the major-party candidates.

Here is an edited text of his interview:

Q. Why did you choose to join the reform party?

A. The Republican Party at the national level has ceased to be
my party. This divorce began around the end of the Cold War
when President (George) Bush declared it to be a New World-
order party and began intervening all over the world. While he
and I were allies and friends during the Cold War, I just felt that
once the Cold War was over the United States should return to
a more traditional non-intervention foreign policy. Clearly the
Republican Party is not that now.

It (the GOP) is a global free-trade party, and I believe in
economic patriotism -- putting the interest of American workers
and their families and our economic independence first.

They will not even discuss the immigration issue anymore,
which I think is a very acute national issue. We have to have
immigration reduced to 250,000 or 300,000 a year, legal
immigrants, which is still very generous; emphasize the
English language and start trying to pull this country back
together; and we've got to get control of our southern border.

So those are three great issues that I simply disagree with the
Republican Party, which has moved off, I think frankly, and
embraced really a Clintonite position.

Q. How would you handle the attack on the USS Cole and the
recent flare-up of Israeli-Palestinian violence?

A. With the Cole, you lost a young man here in Fond du Lac,
Wisconsin, and he had two weeks left to serve in a six-year
stint, which was a tragedy . But he also was a victim of an act
of war, and the United States should respond to the act of war
against the Cole with its own act of war against those who did
it.

On the Middle East, the United States has a vital interest in
preventing a war between Israel and the Palestinians because
that would line Israel up against the entire Arab world. And if
the United States is perceived as tilting wholly toward Israel,
our interests in the Middle East would suffer dramatically.

So we have to first prevent the war. Secondly, that requires a
truce. And third, (we should) try to get some kind of negotiation
back on track. But I have no illusions that's going to be easy
after all this bloodshed and slaughter.

Frankly, I think we need a more even-handed policy in the
Middle East. The United States cannot be seen in the struggle
between the Palestinians and Israelis over Palestinian
statehood ... as a reflexive and uncritical and knee-jerk
supporter of every single thing the Israelis do.

We need a president who not only has the courage to
condemn atrocities against the Israelis, but a president who
has the courage to condemn the Israelis when they perpetrate
outrages or stupidities.

Q. How should the U.S. military be used?

A. The Cold War is over. Bring the troops home from Europe,
from Korea, from Japan, and rebuild and rearm and re-equip the
American military here in the United States so that we can
provide the strategic reserve of Western civilization and defend
all of America's vital interests.

One of the reasons the United States is the greatest nation on
Earth is because unlike the rest of the great nations that
entered the 20th century with us -- the British empire, the
French, the German, the Austrian, the Ottoman empire, the
Japanese and Russian empire -- we stayed out of all the great
wars until their relatively conclusive phase.

Q. You talk about promoting the English language. In Green
Bay we have a significant Hispanic population that doesn't
speak English.

A. If they're here legally and they're citizens of this country,
you don't coerce them, but I would emphasize at the state and
local level to build education in the English language, and I
would make sure that children right up there in kindergarten,
first grade are dropped right into English so these kids can
experience the great opportunities that are here in American
society and that are closed off to people who don't know
English.

If you don't know English you're horribly restricted and confined
in American society. So it is imperative that these kids be able
in their younger years to understand and speak English
because then ... America's world opens up to them.

Q. Another big concern here is the affordability of prescription
drugs. Do have a plan to address that?

A. My view is first you make Medicare solvent and then we
look at prescription drugs. Make sure the promises of
Medicare to the older generation, the generation about to retire,
are kept.

Q. What is your plan to make Medicare solvent?

A. The only answer on Social Security and Medicare must be
bipartisan and anyone that tells you it's not going to be
bipartisan is not telling you the truth. No single party is going
to take responsibility for asking for sacrifices of any kind, and
solvency is going to require some sacrifices.

Q. Describe your tax plan.

A. Very simple. I would take the $2 trillion in the surplus that is
not Social Security or Medicare, I would add to that $1 trillion,
which you can get from a 10 percent revenue tariff -- that's on
imports coming into the United States.

I would eliminate all taxes on small business with that $3
trillion. I would eliminate inheritance taxes, death taxes on the
middle class, family farms and small businesses. I would
produce three tax rates, a lowest rate of 10 percent, a second
rate of 20 percent and a third rate of 30 percent, which would
give us the lowest tax rates on earth, and I would exclude half
of all capital gains from taxation.

That would give us the most dramatic, dynamic, simplest,
lowest tax rates in the Western industrial world, and foreign
companies would start relocating factories here to get inside
that small tariff, and U.S. companies would think twice before
moving their mills and factories and plants abroad.

Q. Earlier this year you said that Bush has been soft on the
approval of RU-486.

A. George (W.) Bush has gone into the tank on life. He will not
outlaw RU-486, which you can do legislatively. He will not
commit to appoint pro-life justices to the Supreme Court. He
won't talk about life, and his record on life is unconvincing.

I would appoint only pro-life justices, only justices whom I
knew in my heart or believed in my heart would overturn that
abomination called Roe v. Wade, and George Bush won't say
that.

----------  end  ---------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On the Trail....
with Pat Buchanan and Ezola Foster
http://www.buchananreform.com/trail/trailmain.asp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Internet Brigade Headquarters
http://www.buchanan.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BUCHANAN-FOSTER 2000 HQ
1-800-GO-PAT-GO
http://www.buchananreform.com

A vote for Bush or Gore is a vote to continue Clinton policies!
A vote for Buchanan is a vote to continue America!
Therefore a vote for Gore or Bush is a wasted vote for America!
Don't waste your vote!  Vote for Patrick Buchanan!

Today, candor compels us to admit that our vaunted two-party system is a
snare and a delusion, a fraud upon the nation. Our two parties have become
nothing but two wings of the same bird of prey...
Patrick Buchanan