</FONT><A
HREF="http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/6/_/1406/_/971841424/"><B>Click
Here!</B></A>

Thanks,

Robert Sterling
Editor, The Konformist
http://www.konformist.com

B.I.G. trouble at the Los Angeles Times
Two Times reporters covering the LAPD scandal named a
suspect in the murder of rap star Biggie Smalls. Then
a colleague's story said they were wrong. Could both
stories be right?
- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Jan Golab

Oct. 16, 2000 | LOS ANGELES -- Former police detective
Russell Poole's first attempt to go public with his
chilling tale of how the LAPD covers for corrupt cops
placed him at the center of a media firestorm. But
months later the full story has yet to be told.

In November 1999, shortly after he resigned from the
LAPD, Poole met with Los Angeles Times reporters Scott
Glover and Matt Lait and told them his story: how the
LAPD refused to investigate dirty cops, from Kevin
Gaines to David Mack to Rafael Perez. He told them
about Mack's possible ties to the 1997 killing of
rapper Biggie Smalls (aka The Notorious B.I.G.). And
most importantly, he told them about the suppression
of a 40-page report he had written about corruption at
the Rampart Division. He gave them a copy of that
report. At the time, Poole didn't want to be quoted or
go on the record. He gave Glover and Lait his
information and documents and told them they should
look into it.

Without having Poole on the record, Glover and Lait
could not report his allegations without independent
corroboration, which they set out to obtain. After
some digging, and with the documents Poole provided
them, they soon had enough to do a piece on one part
of Poole's story -- the murder of Biggie Smalls. Their
Dec. 9, 1999 front-page Times story reported that Amir
Muhammad, a friend of officer David Mack, was a
suspect in the rapper's killing.
Poole was flabbergasted: In fact, he'd told them the
LAPD wasn't looking for Muhammad -- because of his
ties to former police officer Mack. There was also
nothing in the story about his troubles getting the
LAPD to investigate dirty cops like Gaines, Mack and
Perez, or the suppression of his 40-page Rampart
report.

Scott Glover and Matt Lait would not comment about
their conversations with Poole, citing a policy of
source confidentiality. But Lait insists that the L.A.
Times would not have published the story if the
reporters had not confirmed, independently, that
Muhammad was an active suspect. Their LAPD sources, he
says, indicated that Muhammad had not been eliminated
as a suspect. They also learned that Muhammad's photo
had been shown to witnesses of the rap star's shooting
after Poole was off the case.

After their Biggie piece ran, Glover and Lait were
chided by Poole for not telling his whole story. The
reporters told him they were still working on it,
seeking independent corroboration for his allegations.
By late March, Poole had taken his story and documents
to the Los Angeles district attorney's office.
Realizing his claims against the LAPD would become
public eventually, he called Glover and Lait and told
them he would go on the record. Still, the reporters
were not ready to go with the story. "We wanted to
nail it all down," says Lait.
Then, on May 3, 2000, the Los Angeles Times ran
another piece by business reporter Chuck Philips.
Philips, who covers the music industry, reported that
detectives on the Biggie case did not in fact consider
Muhammad a suspect when the Times ran its original
story. Amir Muhammad, who was located by Philips, said
he was a mortgage broker who had nothing to do with
the murder. He did not, however, speak with police
investigators. He described himself as an old friend
of Mack's family and godfather to his children, who
visited him in jail just after Mack was arrested for
the December 1997 bank robbery.

The initial Times story was in fact very carefully
worded. It didn't say investigators were currently
searching for Muhammad, but it implied they were, by
reporting that he was "among the suspects" and that he
had not yet been found. The story stated that some
investigators had retired and that the current
investigators would not comment for the story, and
that "different detectives have not always agreed on
which investigative path to follow or on which of the
open leads might be more productive."

Brill's Content ran an online piece about the rancor
that erupted at the Times between Philips, a Pulitzer
Prize winner, and Glover and Lait, who are gunning for
that prize with their Rampart coverage. It was
described as a "turf war" and a "cockfight," filled
with charges and countercharges. Times executive
editor Leo Wolinsky acknowledged the conflict, but
insisted, "The initial story was not a mistake, it was
not wrong, so we have nothing to correct."

Who killed Biggie Smalls?
A former LAPD detective charges that the top brass
derailed his investigation of the rap star's murder
when it pointed to a cop.
By Jan Golab

New Times, a local alternative weekly, ran a story
that portrayed Amir Muhammad as the innocent victim of
a media lynching by the Times. "The Times plastered
Muhammad's face and name on the front page on the
strength of the undeveloped theories of a disgruntled
former cop," New Times stated, voicing the LAPD's spin
on Russell Poole.

"Anyone who was placed in my position would be
disgruntled," counters Poole. "I left because the
department literally wanted me to lie and keep things
from the D.A.'s office."

Meanwhile, the media commentators all missed the real
story: Both Times articles may have been correct. And
Poole's untold story was the bridge between them. The
LAPD hadn't eliminated Muhammad as a suspect; but they
weren't looking for him either.

Glover and Lait continue to stand by their initial
story. They point to the fact that the LAPD confirmed
it to the Washington Post the day after it ran. Only
later, the reporters insist, did the department revise
its position. But it is still a mystery why the LAPD
would confirm Glover and Lait's story to the
Washington Post, and later dispute it to their Times
colleague Chuck Philips.
Sources agree that police have still not talked to
Amir Muhammad, but there are conflicting accounts as
to whether that is due to his refusal to be
interviewed, or a lack of interest by investigators.
Over time, it appears to have been both. According to
Philips' story, Muhammad's attorney contacted police
shortly after the initial Times piece and was told his
client was not a suspect, but they would like to ask
him a few questions. But the police never followed up
on that request.

By the time Philips' story came out in May, however,
Muhammad reportedly didn't want to talk to the LAPD.
"Several attempts have been made to meet with him
through his attorney," says Steve Katz, the LAPD's
current lead investigator on the Biggie case, "but
each time we set up a meeting he doesn't show up."
Katz describes Muhammad as "someone who we need to
talk to," but not an active suspect. Katz would not
comment on Russell Poole's allegations. Calls to
Muhammad's attorney, meanwhile, were not returned.

The Times finally reported Poole's allegations after
they were detailed in Poole's lawsuit, filed Sept. 26.
Its reporters had the task force detective on the
record, with documents as far back as last March, but
they say they had reasons for sitting on the story.
They insist they were not deterred by media criticism
or, as some critics suggest, by political pressure
from upstairs at the Times, which has a history of
avoiding controversial stories on civic leaders until
after they surface elsewhere. "The day I'm told I
can't go after a story will be the day I quit the
newspaper," Scott Glover scoffs.

In fact, the two reporters, who have produced an
impressive volume of Rampart scoops since they broke
the scandal a year ago, have hardly been gentle with
the police chief. Parks regularly excoriates them and
their work on the LAPD Web site. Adds Lait: "We're not
ignoring Poole's story. It's not a dead issue for us."

Nor will it likely be anytime soon for the LAPD.

salon.com | Oct. 16, 2000
- - - - - - - - - - - -
About the writer
Jan Golab is an award-winning freelance journalist who
has been writing about the LAPD for Los Angeles and
other magazines since 1982. He is the author of "The
Dark Side of the Force: A True Story of Corruption &
Murder in the LAPD" (Atlantic Monthly Press/1993) He
is currently working on a book on the LAPD Rampart
scandal.

If you are interested in a free subscription to The Konformist Newswire,
please visit http://www.eGroups.com/list/konformist/ and sign up. Or, e-mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with the subject: "I NEED 2 KONFORM!!!"
(Okay, you can use something else, but it's a kool catch phrase.)

Visit the Klub Konformist at Yahoo!: