-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 10/17/2000 7:35:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<<
 All U.S. Army soldiers – including the clerks and the cooks and not just
 Special Forces commandos and Rangers – will get to wear berets under a
 morale-building moved to be announced by the Army command today.

 In a speech set to be delivered this afternoon, Gen. Eric K. Shinseki, the
 Army chief of staff, will tell an Army convention that this "symbol of
 excellence" once reserved for members of elite units will be made available
 to all soldiers as "a signal to the young that we are moving, we are
 changing." >>

Yes, of course, removing any way of showing honor is the best way to signal
to the young that we are moving.  I think it will do well.  We're all used to
"social promotions" aren't we.  But no matter, what it really is boosting is
the amount of money that some  contractor will make selling the hats.  I can
assure you they will not be an issued item.  The military will have to buy
them, and even if they were issued, the contractor would be making it off the
taxpayer.  Does anyone besides me think that the Army (with ALL those
generals) should be able to come up with a better idea for improving morale.
I used to hear that if women were depressed, they should go out and buy a new
hat.  Maybe that's where this logic comes from.  Prudy