-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.aci.net/kalliste/
Click Here: <A HREF="http://www.aci.net/kalliste/">The Home Page of J. Orlin
Grabbe</A>
-----
Spy vs. Spy

Enigma Machine Comes Home

Good thing there wasn't a bomb in the package.

JEREMY PAXMAN opened a mystery parcel yesterday and found the missing Enigma
cipher machine, stolen six months ago from Bletchley Park, the home of
Britain's wartime codebreakers.

However, the presenter of Newsnight and University Challenge did not at first
realise the bonus that was waiting for him in the BBC offices. The hefty
cardboard package, sent by Royal Mail special delivery, had been lying
unopened for days before a colleague pointed out it was addressed to him.

Paxman said: "As soon as I opened it I realised what it was. It looks as
though it is authentic. It's got the G312 code on the back. I haven't a clue
why they sent it to me. As far as I know I haven't got a reputation as a
receiver of stolen goods. I'm delighted to be able to return it to its
rightful owner. They are very poignant machines. I think what they did at
Bletchley Park during the war was quite outstanding."

The device, which was posted in a wooden box with a leather handle and
wrapped in three layers of packing and bubble wrapping, has yet to be
authenticated by Bletchley Park. It was sent without its three main rotors,
the key enciphering component, and the Bletchley Park Trust was told these
would only be handed over in return for £25,000 compensation. The rare,
four-rotor version of the wartime machine used by German military
intelligence is worth £100,000 intact but much less without its rotors.

Christine Large, the trust's chief executive, said that the "new owner" had
contacted her yesterday to give his instructions for a handover of £25,000,
which he claims was paid for the machine, in exchange for the rotors.

The trust agreed to pay the ransom following a threat from a "middle-man",
claiming to act for someone who bought the machine, that it would be
destroyed. A British company is understood to have come forward to offer the
£25,000.

Mrs Large said: "Following this act of faith by the new owner of G312, we are
now attempting to put him in touch with representatives of the benefactor who
has come forward with the £25,000 ransom."

The machine, which had been loaned to the trust by GCHQ, Britain's modern-day
codebreaking organisation, was in a wooden box the size of a typewriter. It
disappeared on an open day in April shortly before the trust's display of
three Enigma machines was to be fitted with infra-red alarms.
The London Telegraph, October 17, 2000
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.