-Caveat Lector-

----Original Message Follows----
From: Grassroots Media Network <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [generalnews] homelessness is out of fashion in the media
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 23:06:58 -0500 (CDT)

Homelessness is out of fashion.

WASHINGTON _ Driving home late on Christmas Eve, I stopped for a traffic
light
at the corner of 14th Street and Constitution Avenue _ a few blocks from the
White House, in journalistic terms _ and watched a man settling in for the
evening on a steam grate. It was well past midnight, bitter cold, and the
streets were nearly deserted. So there, I thought, is someone who, in the
famous words of Edwin Meese III, is truly ``homeless by choice.''

In fact, on my Christmas Eve journey, this was not the only homeless man I
encountered. There were a few huddled close by the Commerce Department, and
several across the street from the Department of State _ all traditional
gathering places. Outside a subway stop on 12th Street, just a minute's walk
from the Providence Journal bureau, a young man was begging for money. He
held
a sign identifying himself as a Vietnam veteran _ which, given his age, was
highly unlikely _ but he certainly appeared to be homeless. It is difficult
walk too many steps in the nation's capital without encountering someone
stretched out on a bench, waving a cup under your nose, or talking very
loudly
to no one in particular.

It is a generally accepted fact that there are more homeless people in
Washington than there used to be. This may well be true, although accurate
statistics are hard to obtain. There were certainly bums on the city streets
in my childhood: While standing at bus stops, I got to know the harmless,
and
the rather menacing, specimens. Their numbers surely increased when state
mental institutions _ the famous ``snake pits,'' vestiges of the
unenlightened
past _ were closed down in the 1960s and '70s. Throughout the 1980s, when
cities sought to compel homeless men and women to enter shelters at night,
the
American Civil Liberties Union and other organizations successfully fought
preserve their right to sleep _ and squat, urinate, defecate, panhandle,
etc.
_ on the sidewalk.

So, in whatever numbers, and at whatever rates of increase, here they are.
And
yet, so far as the media are concerned, they are not. The Village Voice
recently surveyed the press on the subject, and found that homelessness is
no
longer a story: ``In the fall of 1988, The New York Times devoted 50 stories
to the homeless, including five front-page pieces. This year (1998) the
Times
has run only 10 pieces in the same period; none have begun on A-1.''

The cynic in me has an obvious explanation: In 1988, instead of a
compassionate Democrat, there was a heartless Republican in the White House.
Indeed, if you track press attention to homelessness, you will find a
dramatic
leap in coverage beginning in the early 1980s _ when Ronald Reagan took
office. When I worked in the Carter State Department, I used to walk around
the same men who were sleeping on the nearby steam grate when it became the
Haig State Department. But somehow, after Jan. 20, 1981, The Washington
Post,
and other news organizations, suddenly awakened to their existence.

Throughout the 1980s, and into the early '90s, homelessness was ubiquitous
in
the media: The networks contrasted the nouveau riche with the suddenly
impoverished, and the newspapers explained that lack of ``affordable''
housing, or ``deep cuts'' in federal expenditures, had swollen the ranks of
people inhabiting the streets. There were profiles of suburban high school
students donating blankets to downtown shelters, and photo ops of movie
stars
nurturing the less fortunate.

And then suddenly, it came to an end. A good part of the explanation is
political, no doubt: Once Bill and Hillary Clinton took up residence in the
White House, it was no longer feasible to compare the glittering world of
the
presidency with the harsh reality of nearby sidewalks. And of course, when a
Democratic administration yields prosperity, no one is left behind.

But the evidence suggests otherwise: The streets of the nation's capital are
full of people who haven't gotten the news from Wall Street, and the U.S.
Conference of Mayors reports that the demand for emergency shelters has
increased by 11 percent in the last year alone. Homelessness may no longer
be
a story, but the homeless are still with us.

More than a third of the homeless men in America are black, and yet
President
Clinton's staunchest black defenders in Congress _ John Lewis, Maxine
Waters,
Charles Rangel, Sheila Jackson Lee _ have little to say on the subject. Can
anyone imagine this would be the case if Bob Dole were in the White House?

The problem with homelessless is that, for too long, it has been an issue of
partisan convenience. It is not Republican spending policies that caused the
explosion in homelessness, but the progressive vision of closing down state
mental institutions, the rise in drug and alcohol abuse, and the loss of any
stigma attached to subsisting in the streets.

The press fell in love with the symptom of homelessness in the 1980s, but
grew
quiet in the subsequent decade. Perhaps in the next few years it will come
grips with the cause.

X X X

(Philip Terzian is the associate editor of the Providence Journal. Write to
him at: Providence Journal, 1325 G Street NW, Suite 250, Washington, D.C.
20005.)

X X X

(c) 1999, The Providence Journal.

Visit projo.com, the online service of The Providence Journal at
http://www.projo.com

Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

====================================
The Grassroots Media Network
1602 Chatham St
Austin, TX 78723
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.crosswinds.net/~rootmedia/

Queer News Network
http://www.crosswinds.net/~rootmedia/Queer/

REAL 2 REEL
3rd Grassroots Documentary Film & Video Festival
http://www.crosswinds.net/~rootmedia/film

We are:
Grassroots News Network, Queer News Network, Latino News Exchange,
Wmyn's News Service, Enviro News Service, Worker's News Service,
Grassroots Documentary Film & Video Collective, and Theoretical Ammo Arts
Brigade,

To recieve daily news articles please respond to this post with the
following command in the subject line.

"add me to general news (for general news)"
"add me to queer news  (for queer news)"
"add me to latino news (for latino news)"
"add me to wmyn news (for women's international news)"
"add me to enviro news (for international environmental news)"
"add me to labor news (for labor and union issues)"
"add me to anti-racist news (for news on racism and other issues)"

****Boycott PictSweet products!!!!!!****

http://profiles.msn.com.