-Caveat Lector-

----Original Message Follows----
From: "THOMAS PALAZZOLO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: NADER AGAIN SINGLED OUT FOR EXCLUSION FROM PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
PREMISES
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 23:13:39 -0500 (CDT)

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 12:03 PM
Subject: [Greensstl] Fwd: rights violation #2

Nader 2000
Press Release
OCTOBER 18, 2000
CONTACT:  Jake Lewis or Tom Adkins
(202) 265-4000

NADER AGAIN SINGLED OUT FOR EXCLUSION FROM PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE PREMISES

St. Louis, MO, October 18-Ralph Nader was denied entry last night to the
campus of Washington University by the Commission on Presidential
Debates, despite the fact that he had a valid pass and was scheduled be
interviewed by WUTV, the campus television station.  This marks the
second time in two weeks that the CPD, in association with local law
enforcement, has unlawfully denied Nader access to a university campus
hosting a presidential debate.

"Once again the crooked debate commission run by Al Gore and George W.
Bush violated my civil rights and the rights of the student television
station by politically excluding me from entering the campus of
Washington University in order to give WUTV an interview, which had been
previously scheduled," Nader said.

"I had the necessary perimeter pass to enter the campus, which I showed to
the police, and I was excluded even though others in my group with the exact
same badges were allowed at the same time into the campus by the same
police.  Once again the CPD has sowed the seeds of its own future political
destruction."

Nader yesterday filed suit against the CPD in United States District
Court in Massachusetts for unlawfully preventing him from entering a
viewing room and conducting an invited televison interview by Fox News
on the premises of University of Massachusetts Boston during the first
presidential debate on October 3.

"I urge an apology from Gore and Bush for the violation of my civil
rights by commissioners who are under their influence and direction,"
Nader stated tonight. "In addition to being excluded from an interview
with the campus television station under the direction of Gabriel Roth, I
was deprived of the opportunity to be interviewed on the premises of
Washington University by other members of the media."

Nader was denied entrance to the Washington University campus at the
intersection of Skinker and Forsyth at approximately 6:45 yesterday
evening by a CPD official who would not identify himself.

"The entire sordid episode, which adds an even greater stigma to the
arrogance of power displayed by the Republican and Democratic parties,
was recorded by two dozen radio, TV and print reporters who observed the
entire interaction with the police, the campus police director, and the
cowardly representative of the debate commission who refused to identify
himself as he slithered through the crowd to tell me that I had been
excluded and quickly slithered back into his lair without having identified
himself," Nader said.

Gabriel Roth, a cameraman with WUTV, who was to conduct the interview
with Nader, confirmed the unique treatment given to Mr. Nader by the CPD and
law enforcement.  "Throughout the day, people with the green host pass (that
Mr. Nader had) were able to get into the perimeter area in which the
interview was to be conducted.  Two of Mr. Nader's staff had the same green
host pass and they walked right past the security checkpoint."

"What was even more stupid," Nader stated, "is that the CPD instructed
the law enforcement officers to give no reason for my exclusion, no
legal grounds for my exclusion-a clear demonstration of arbitrary and
unlawful authority.  I informed the police that they were being given an
unlawful political order by the debate commission and that they would likely
find themselves in court along with CPD officials.  The head of Washington
University security did not seem comfortable fulfilling the unlawful task
that he was given, or the manner in which he was politically manipulated for
partisan reasons by the Gore/Bush
commission.

"After the election we will help establish a people's debate commission
which will destroy the monopoly of access to tens of millions of American
voters that is now held by this corrupt, corporate-funded private company,
the Commission on Presidential Debates."

###

http://www.slip.net/~knabb/index1.htm

http://profiles.msn.com.