-Caveat Lector-

RadTimes # 83 October, 2000

An informally produced compendium of vital irregularities.

"We're living in rad times!"
QUOTE:
  "What we have is not a market economy. It is a corporately planned and
controlled economy."
"We have a world in which a handful of corporations, detached from any link
to any place or community, have extended their power beyond the reach of
most governments."
"The U.S. has a centrally-planned economy, in many ways more tightly
controlled than any state-planned economy that we have seen."
"The political system ... [is] enormously expensive. The only way you can
raise the money to win an election is by appealing to corporate interests,
which then means you're in their debt and have to focus on their agendas."
--David Korten, economist and internationalist
Contents:
---------------
--Protest the Inauguration of the Next President
--TV's Mr. President arrested at Vandenberg protest
--Directory of Transnational Corporations
--Extravagant Evil and the I.M.F.
--Gun Control Refresher Course
--Chumbawamba Sample Metallica, Madonna, Dre on Free Download
--Anarchist Question And Answer
Begin stories:
Protest the Inauguration of the Next President

A CALL TO: Protest the Inauguration of the Next President
SATURDAY, JANUARY 20, 2001, WASHINGTON, D.C.

On January 20, 2001, the next president of the U.S will be
inaugurated in Washington D.C. Whether it's George W.
Bush or Al Gore, one thing is certain: executions will not
stop. Whichever politicians come or go, police brutality and
racial profiling remains. Thirty years after the Attica
prison rebellion, the racist prison-industrial complex will
continue to grow.

More than 2 million people will observe Dr. Martin Luther
King's birthday in U.S. prisons-including political prisoner Mumia Abu-
Jamal, who waits with 4,000 others on death row. The people must
make it clear to the next president that the death machine must stop.
No more executions. Mumia Abu-Jamal must be granted a new trial or
set free.

We must stop the U.S. death machine around the world. The
bullets & bombs that have murdered and maimed hundreds of
Palestinians are made in the USA. Ten years after the
bombing of Iraq began on Jan. 16, 1991, the U.S. still
maintains economic sanctions that have killed more than 1.2
million Iraqis.

The Pentagon continues to plot another Vietnam war in
Colombia, and to bomb the island of Vieques, Puerto Rico.
Along with NATO, the U.S military machine forces colonial
subjugation of the Balkans, and elsewhere in the world.
We must stop capitalist deathonomics. U.S. transnational
corporations and banks, along with their puppet
institutions--the International Monetary Fund, World
Bank and World Trade Organization-- continue to impose
the death machine of globalization on the world, reaping
super-profits from their exploitation of the planet while
more than a billion people go hungry, and at least 2 billion
live in abject poverty.

Hundreds of millions of people throughout Africa, Asia,
Latin America and right here in the U.S. will continue to
die because capitalist greed has denied them healthcare,
shelter, jobs and other human needs.

STOP THE RACIST DEATH PENALTY

STOP THE LEGAL LYNCHING OF MUMIA ABU-JAMAL

STOP THE PRISON INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX

STOP U.S. POLICE TERROR-AT HOME & ACROSS THE WORLD

STOP THE GLOBALIZATION DEATH MACHINE

Only the people can stop it - Fill the streets of D.C.
----
Call issued by: International Action Center, International Concerned
Family and Friends of Mumia Abu-Jamal; the MOVE Organization;
Millions for Mumia; Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Coalition, NYC; Refuse and
Resist; Korea Truth Commission; The Palestine Right To Return
Coalition ( NY-NJ Based Al-Awda) and a growing list of endorsers.

International Action Center
National Peoples Campaign/Millions for Mumia
39 West 14th Street, #206
New York, NY 10011
212 633-6646 212 633-2889 FAX
email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<http://www.iacenter.org>
<http://www.peoplescampaign.org>
CHECK OUT THE NEW SITE <www.mumia2000.org>

TV's Mr. President arrested at Vandenberg protest

October 7 2000

By Rick Tuttle
Lompoc Record Staff

America's television president, Martin Sheen, was among 23 peace activists
arrested Saturday during a non-violent but tense standoff at Vandenberg Air
Force Base's main gate - the culmination of local protests against a
developing national missile defense system and the perceived "militarization
of space."
Sheen, the veteran actor who plays the U.S. president in the Emmy-winning
drama "West Wing," ignored numerous warnings by base security forces and
attempted to walk into Vandenberg hand-in-hand with two Bay Area Catholic
priests and two activist friends.

Like all of those arrested, Sheen was quickly placed in plastic handcuffs,
amid a shower of cheers from fellow protestors, and loaded onto a bus.

A human wall of helmeted and baton-carrying members of the Vandenberg's
Confrontation Management Team met protestors as they approached base
property alone or in small groups.

When the crowd of about 140 protesters finally dispersed, the arrested were
transported to an on-base processing center for booking on charges of
trespassing and failure to disperse, authorities report.

All were released from custody last night, each handed a letter from 30th
Space Wing Commander Col. Steve Lanning barring them from entering the base
for at least one year, with the exception of required appearances in
Vandenberg's federal magistrate court to face the charges.

Some of the arrested may face other charges, base officials said, including
a female protester caught on videotape striking a member of the security
force, which included about 50 personnel, two dogs and a water cannon. The
cannon would have only been used if the group had stormed the base en masse,
according to Maj. John Cherry, Vandenberg spokesman.

"We're very sure that the level of response was appropriate for the level of
action from the protesters," he said. "I hope you all saw what I saw which
was people being treated very fairly, no one being force down to the
concrete or anything like that."

The tense confrontation came after a "Stop Star Wars" rally, sponsored by
the Vandenberg Action Coalition, which included two and a half hours of folk
singing and speeches amplified from a flatbed truck parked on the northwest
corner of the intersection of Highway I and Lompoc-Casmalia Road.

The protests, often drowned out by base helicopters patrolling overhead,
were part of similar actions taken in 16 other countries and 39 U.S. cities.

Protesters had promised stealthy invasion of base security zones to disrupt
base operations, but base officials reported no back country arrests were
made. Three local hikers were stopped and quickly released after they
wandered on base near Point Sal, Cherry said.

Prior to his arrest, Sheen, no stranger to political activism, told the
Record that he had traveled to the Vandenberg rally "to protest the
continuation of Star Wars research and planning. It's foolhardy, it's
destructive, it's wasteful and it can't work."

"Star Wars" is the term used by protesters to describe the ground-based
system the Pentagon is developing to protect the United States from limited
long range missile attacks by rogue nations. The name is taken from a
space-based program proposed two decades ago.

The next $100 million intercept test of the NMD system, in which a "kill
vehicle" launched from Kwajalein Atoll - 4,200 miles away - attempts to
strike a "target vehicle" launched from Vandenberg, is scheduled for next
January.

Before the main gate action occurred, Sheen said he was unsure whether he
would try to enter the base and risk arrest.

"I leave that to the Holy Spirit,' he said. "I just stand on line and let
the spirit lead me where I have to go."

When asked if his voice was significant considering his commander-in-chief
television role, he said, "You tell me. I do this for myself. I'm not the
president, I'm the acting president."

"My producers have a life and I have a life. That's what I do for a living,
this is what I do to stay alive."

As he was being loaded onto the bus, witnesses heard Sheen offering
in-character presidential humor and spiritual encouragement. He also spoke
at the rally, but limited his remarks to the recitation of a poem.

Other speakers included Green Party Senatorial candidate Medea Benjamin and
Bruce Gagnon, coordinator for the Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear
Power in Space.

"They are not here to protect us, we are here as slaves to feed this machine
to build these pyramids to the heavens," said Gagnon, referring to base
personnel across the street. "The aerospace corporations are the Pharaohs of
our age and we the taxpayers will be the slaves to build these pyramids to
the heavens."

Some demonstrators carried large puppets representing companies that fund
defense research. These include Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, Raytheon and TRW
which rally organizers said have split more than $2.2 billion in missile
defense research and development in the last two years - approximately 60
percent of Pentagon contracts.

Vandenberg Action Coalition member Frank Nolan, of Los Osos, an English and
philosophy professor at Allan Hancock College's Lompoc Valley campus, said
he opposed the NMD system because it would start a new arms race.

"One of the reasons I'm here is to be an example to my students, that they
should be active and they should speak out on issues of conscience," he
said.

Despite being from where protesters consider to be the base's "company
town," first-time protester Lisa Williams, of Lompoc, said her presence at
the rally showed "that there is a concern even among people that are part of
the immediate community ... about our children, about what we're showing our
children about violence and about nuclear arms."

Terms of the protests were negotiated two weeks ago, which included a time
limit on the protests and vows of non-violence from both sides. But base
officials feared many out-of-towners- many of the protesters came down from
the San Francisco Bay Area - would not comply with the predetermined
conditions.

"One of the main reasons why we were out with our Confrontation Management
Team is that they had made threats that they would break the line," Cherry
said, "and a couple hundred feet (from the main gate) you have family
housing. We were not going to allow anyone to go into family housing and
infiltrate that area."

Vandenberg received security and traffic control assistance from the U.S.
Marshal's office, the FBI, the California Highway Patrol and the Santa
Barbara County Sheriff's Department.

Base officials estimated it was the largest protest at the main gate since
the actions against the Peacekeeper missile in the early 1980s.

Directory of Transnational Corporations

<http://www.endgame.org/dtc/directory.html>

compiled by George Draffan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"We need to publish a Catalog of Global Carpetbaggers, entrepreneurs eager
to profit on misery. We should name names and illustrate the book with the
shocking examples of what these people and their uncontrolled multinationals
have done to the earth. We should describe these companies, who controls
them and estimate whether they are solvent enough to put up a big
environmental restoration bond."
--David Brower, Earth Island Journal, Fall 1991

Herein is my Catalog of Carpetbaggers: a database on the activities of the
modern corpirates.

I have endeavored to be as accurate as possible, but a complete description
of the global economy is impossible. The entries are based on the sources
cited, but are current only as of the dates cited. For example, we are in
the midst of the greatest corporate merger wave in history, and I have not
kept up with mergers. Additional information on corporations can be found by
using my research links webpage. I also provide research services.

It is up to activists whether a corporation deserves criticism, a boycott,
or a campaign. This directory is compiled only as a source of information.
What groups or individuals do with this information is up to them, and is
their responsibility.

The Directory is being updated as resources allow.
Corrections and suggestions, as well as additional, documented information,
are welcome.

Extravagant Evil and the I.M.F.

October 8, 2000
By ALAN COWELL
New York Times

LONDON -- FIRST Seattle, then Prague. The recurrent images of
clashes between hooded demonstrators and police officers defending
the barons of global capitalism have become a powerful motif for
the protests and preoccupations of a new millennium.

At first blush, the demonstrators' rage may bewilder many Westerners.
After all, whether the body under assault is the World Trade
Organization, the International Monetary Fund or the World Bank,
the institutions' stated aims are surely laudable: liberalized
trade, economic rescue and development.

But the protests  seizing on targets as disparate as finance
ministers' gatherings and McDonald's outlets  have touched a raw
nerve at a time when the gap between rich and poor is widening,
when many poor countries labor under unpayable debt inherited from
the politically driven international lending of the cold war and
when trade, for many, means little more than an uneven exchange of
expensive Western goods for cheap commodities.

Nowhere are these issues more evident than in Africa. And as Michela
Wrong's "In the Footsteps of Mr. Kurtz" (Fourth Estate) appears to
suggest, no single African country has taken the bizarre interface
of ill- fated international lending and corrupt politics to the
same extremes as Congo, the former Zaire.

As the title suggests, this is not a "business" book or a dry
academic study. It is a journalist's fast-paced account of the
final years of the regime of the late President Mobutu Sese Seko,
whose blend of greed, corruption and hunger for power fascinated
generations of reporters from his rise to power in 1965 to his
ignominious demise in 1997.

It is a book whose time is right, because it illuminates much of
the current debate underlying the protests in Seattle and Prague.
(Published in London, the book will be issued in the United States
by HarperCollins next May.) It points an accusing finger at the
readiness of the International Monetary Fund to almost encourage
the errant ways of a political elite that it was avowedly rescuing
from itself. And, not least for anyone who contemplates greasing
the wheels of business in pursuit of a quick deal, it demonstrates
the perils of corruption  a force that, in Congo's case, led directly
to a national implosion.

Mr. Mobutu was hardly a stranger to harsh scrutiny. No visitor to
Kinshasa, the capital, in his heyday in the 1970's and 1980's could
avoid the twin frisson of revulsion and bewitchment that the country
inspired.

Here was a dictator  as this reporter can attest  who kept caged
leopards in his garden, dined off gold plates and repelled insurgents
with the ready help of the United States Air Force and the French
Foreign Legion, even as the African bush seemed to be reclaiming
his decaying capital.

Then as now, Congo drew outsiders into its heady web of bloodshed,
absurdity and evil  distant massacres offset against fine restaurants
patronized by the elite, the pony- tailed pianist at the Hotel
Intercontinental who played "As Time Goes By" and presidential
extravagance on a scale as grand as the broad sweep of the Congo
River.

All this imbues the rich, anecdotal tapestry in the book, starting
with a description of Mr. Mobutu's henchmen fleeing the capital,
carrying machine guns and Louis Vuitton luggage as rebels advanced.
(The absence of the pianist in May 1997, Ms. Wrong says, signaled
that the end was nigh for Mr.  Mobutu.)

BUT Ms. Wrong takes the debate much further with her keen understanding
of where, exactly, the Mobutu regime was coming from as the ultimate
heir to a Belgian colonial administration founded on the awesome
chutzpah of King Leopold II, who in the 19th century simply took
over the Congo  a country the size of western Europe  as a personal
fief.

Ms. Wrong, who covered the final Mobutu years for Reuters and The
Financial Times, has woven her title from an allusion to Kurtz,
the central figure of Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness," whose
dying words  "the horror, the horror"  have inspired legions of
journalists and moviemakers.

She is quick to point out that those words have often been presented
as an indictment of African ways rather than Kurtz's own acknowledgment
of his own fall from grace. "Conrad was more preoccupied with rotten
Western values, the white man's inhumanity to the black man than,
as is almost always assumed today, black savagery," she writes.

And that brings her to the central theme. If Mr. Mobutu was the
archvillain of his nation's tragedy, he was not a simple caricature,
or, indeed, a man without a context. "The momentum behind Zaire's
free fall was generated not by one man but by thousands of compliant
collaborators, at home and abroad." This is no exculpation of Mr.
Mobutu, but, in the present debate over the role of international
financial institutions, it helps explain just why Congo  and many
other African countries to a less dramatic degree
  got into such an enormous financial mess.

Indeed, it evokes a central question for the international institutions
and donors of today as they contemplate the morass left over from
the cold war:  where is the morality in imposing yet more fiscal
hardship on nations burdened by the same debts as those the "compliant
collaborators" in the international community helped to create?

Zaire is a particularly glaring example. But, as Ms. Wrong points
out, the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank were
complicit  by default at the very least  in creating this monster.
 From 1975 to 1997, Zaire received $9.3 billion in foreign aid, much
of it at the height of the cold war and much of it from the I.M.F.
and the World Bank, at a time when the United States and other
Western powers were determined to keep Mr. Mobutu in their camp.

Yet throughout this period  and particularly after the I.M.F.
installed its own representative, Erwin Blumenthal, at Zaire's
Central Bank in 1978 those institutions knew full well that Mr.
Mobutu was stripping the state coffers not just of aid income but
also of receipts from Zaire's fabled riches in copper, cobalt and
diamonds. Mr. Blumenthal subsequently reported ample evidence of
corruption, but any effort to restrain Mr. Mobutu was thwarted by
bigger geopolitical considerations. In the thinking of the time,
Ms. Wrong writes, "No one wants to be the official remembered as
having `lost' Zaire, Kenya, Zambia or Tanzania."

Only in recent years have those same international institutions
come to acknowledge that aid and other forms of assistance are
inseparable from "governance issues"  meaning that there is no
point in trying to help people who are, literally, helping themselves
to the state's riches. But, of course, the damage has been done.
Debts have piled up, but forgiveness is hard to come by, usually
involving wrenching economic reforms that look for signs of
macroeconomic health long before they benefit ordinary people.
And, in the bulk of sub-Saharan Africa, it is the ordinary people
who have become more and more destitute.

Not all of their leaders were corrupt. Often enough, in nations
like Zambia and Tanzania, misguided economic stewardship did almost
as much damage as Mr. Mobutu's kleptocracy  the term that came to
be applied to the robber regime.

That, of course, is where the protesters in Seattle and Prague come
into the picture, taking up the cudgels  it could be argued as
uninvited champions  on behalf of those millions in many parts of
Africa who have neither voice nor prospects.

Ms. Wrong does not, however, oversimplify or sentimentalize the
argument.  Her account of Mr. Mobutu's interaction with wealth is
far more nuanced, pointing out, for instance, that state corruption
is an expensive business.  Anyone looking for Mr. Mobutu's rumored
hidden stash of looted billions, she suggests, will be disappointed:
if he stole from the state, he did so in part to finance a network
of complicit and equally corrupt lieutenants, ready to repay largess
with loyalty.

Neither is the issue made any simpler by the post-Mobutu regime of
Laurent Kabila that seems a continuation of rather than a break
with the history of venality. The protesters in Seattle and Prague
might take note or, at least, cast a more searching look over those
who lead the people that they champion.

Gun Control Refresher Course [edited]

<http://www.themestream.com/articles/203947.html>

by Kristi Golden
October 10, 2000

Gun control is a serious issue and creates a lot of mixed emotions from
people. While neither side is correct in its views entirely, neither side
is completely wrong either. Guns spark immediate response from just the
mention of their name. Smith & Wesson, Glock, Winchester, Ruger, they are
well known names by people both for and against guns.
I was sent this little "Gun Control" email and I thought I would share it
with you. While I may be pro-gun, I do not feel that I should tell you that
you must own a gun. At the same time, I do not think that you have the
right to tell me I can not own a gun. I am a law abiding citizen and have
not hurt or maimed anyone. I already own guns and I have not shot or killed
anyone with them. The statements below makes some very good points. After
them I will insert more of my thoughts on this subject.

*******
An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.
Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?
If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
Those who trade liberty for security have neither.
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others.
64,999,987 firearm owners killed no one yesterday.
Guns only have two enemies; Rust and Politicians.
Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety.
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.
911 - Government sponsored Dial A Prayer
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
Criminals love gun control - it makes their jobs safer.
If Guns cause Crime, then Matches cause Arson.
Only a government that is afraid of it's citizens tries to control them.
You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.

*******
As the article states time and time again, it is NOT the gun that causes
death. For a gun that is not being held by a person can not shoot. When it
is not capable of shooting, it is not possible of killing. A gun does not
know right from wrong, but the person who is holding it does. It is that
person holding it that needs to be punished, not the gun.
If it were not for the citizens of America owning their own guns, we would
not be the United States of America. We would still be known as the British
Colonies. If citizens were not able to own guns, slaves would still be a
part of the south. Government is only controlled by it's citizens when they
are able to remove the government if it tries to become a dictatorship. By
giving our government the freedom to remove and control firearms we are
giving them the power to dictate our lives with no threat of removal for
their actions. As for me, I don't want to live in a country where I am not
free. I value my freedom. My ancestors died for me to have this freedom. My
father fought for me to remain free. I am not going to hand it over freely.
As Charles Heston said at the National Rifle Association national meeting,
"From these cold dead hands only"!
Once we take away the guns, what are we going to take away next?  Pencils?
I can write the words that evoke feelings and emotions that can bring
action. Other writers can write so well that they can evoke a
fight.  Should we take pencils away too to prevent them being misused?
If we take the guns, should we take away swords? These are very violent
items just like guns then. They are designed to kill also. Since they are
so similar they too should go the way of the gun. We could not risk a
person being killed by a sword out of control. Take with them the spears,
the daggers, the knives, and any other similar device made to kill, cut,
harm or maime a person. We dare not trust anyone with the power to hurt
another.
How about pitchforks? Slaves revolted using pitchforks since that was all
they had. Should we take those too? Doesn't matter if the farmers use them
to work on the farm. They should go since they can be used for violence
toward another person. Send with them the hoe, the lawn mower, the scythe,
the ax, the maul, the tire irons, and such. These are all capable of being
dangerous weapons in the hands of the wrong person. Do not dare trust the
people. Do not trust the weapon, for it is the weapon that causes the
damage isn't that what banning guns will say?
Once all of the violent weapons are gone, should we ban books and words? We
will need to rewrite the history books to take out the mention of the power
of the people since people will no longer have power. We will read only
what the government wants us to read. We will learn no more. Do not think
about freedom or speak a word of it. Freedom is now a thing of the past.
Freedom will be the subject of folklore and urban legends. You will no
longer be allowed to read articles like this since freedom is gone. You
will not be allowed to comment on articles like this with your own opinion
since freedom has been repressed and we are now under the control of Big
Brother.
So please, I will not tell you that you will own a gun. Just don't try to
tell me that I can not. If I use it to kill another person out of anger or
hate, or I commit a crime with it, then yes, you can take my gun. But until
that time, you can feel safe knowing that there are thousands of other gun
owners in this country who are willing to die for their rights and protect
yours.
Have I angered you with my words? If so then I have accomplished my mission
with this article. For I have made you think. I have made you see that
there are some things that are worth dying for. If I haven't made you angry
but have gained a brother or sister in the fight to keep our freedoms then
I too have accomplished my mission.

Chumbawamba Sample Metallica, Madonna, Dre on Free Download

Tuesday October 24
Yahoo! News
JENNIFER VINEYARD

Lars Ulrich may be used to fighting the downloading debate,
but not like this. U.K. anarchists Chumbawamba have sampled
his band Metallica, along with other file sharing opponents
Eminem, Dr. Dre and Madonna, without permission for a song
that makes a bold, if legally dubious, statement, "Pass it
Along [MP3 mix]."

Available on <http://www.chumba.com>, the remix version of the
song, originally found on the band's What You See Is What
You Get, features snippets from Metallica's "Enter Sandman,"
Madonna's "Justify My Love," Eminem's "The Real Slim Shady"
as well as choice lines from Elvis' "Blue Suede Shoes"
("It's one for the money") and the Beatles' "Money" ("The
best things in life are free"). In addition to the
musicians, the song also features the voices of Lars Ulrich,
Noam Chomsky and Jello Biafra.

Chumbawamba says that the remix is a reaction to the idea
that file sharing is somehow damaging to music. "What?
Killing music the way that home taping killed music in the
Seventies? It's not passing around music around for free
which is killing music," vocalist Dunstan Bruce said in a
statement. "No, it's the industry which is stifling
creativity by only thinking in terms of dollars and pounds.
This is about commerce rather than art or integrity."

As for those artists sampled who might object to their work
being used without permission, Bruce says that's what
Chumbawamba is trying to draw attention to --
mega-successful musicians looking at art only in terms of
its profitability.

"When Metallica's Lars Ulrich said that he was objecting to
his art being traded like a commodity, he was lying," Bruce
said. "What Ulrich was objecting was his art NOT being
traded like a commodity from which he could reap the lion's
share of the profits. If Ulrich, Madonna and Eminem had
never sold any records and were worried about entering a
poverty-stricken old age, then their determination to stop
their music being passed around would be understandable. But
what we're seeing is some of the richest pop stars in the
world making the biggest stink about not being able to screw
every last penny from their adoring fans . . . It's
difficult to read their statements as anything other than
greed."

Bruce also took aim at the major record labels. "It's
hilarious listening to the big record companies bleating on
about how file sharing is damaging art," Bruce added. "They
wouldn't recognize art or artistic integrity if they bounded
over and bit them on the arse. Time Warner's President
Richard Parsons recently said that young people no longer
buy albums and a generation is growing up with the notion
that music should be for free. The real truth is that record
companies have been screwing the public for years and
they're now terrified that they might lose the odd dollar
here and there."

Anarchist Question And Answer

Anarchist Age Weekly Review No. 421 10th ­ 16th October, 2000

Q.    What type of reform movements should anarchists support?

A.    Although most anarchists are revolutionaries, many anarchists are
involved in reform movements.  What type of reforms they support is a matter
for debate.  The two main criteria that can be used to determine whether
anarchists support a particular reform movement or not revolve around
questions of human freedom and power.
Reform movements that promote human freedom should always be supported by
anarchists.  The more personal freedoms individuals and communities enjoy,
the greater the chance that people will accept radical egalitarian change.
Reform movements that diminish State and corporate power should also be
supported by anarchists. The important thing to remember is that if you¹re
involved in a reform movement, do it as anarchist.
There is very little point in becoming involved in a reform movement unless
you attempt to introduce anarchist concepts of organisation and anarchist
ideas within the movement you¹re working with.  Pick and choose the reform
movements you become involved in, whatever you do don¹t lend your support to
reform movements that don¹t extend human freedom or diminish the power of
the State or corporate sector.
Whether the reform movement you support succeeds or fails is not as
important as the positive feedback your involvement as an anarchist will
generate.  Reforms buy individuals and groups space to organise, grow and
provide alternatives to the type of society we now live in.  Reforms that
break down State and corporate power can open the floodgates of
revolutionary change.

"Anarchy doesn't mean out of control. It means out of 'their' control."
        -Jim Dodge
send appropriate email to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.