-Caveat Lector-

via Usenet alt.comedy.bill-hicks

From:
www.frontpagemag.com

Deafening Silence
by David Horowitz

Intellectual Capital
http://www.intellectualcapital.com/
March 15, 2000

        YOU PROBABLY DON'T REMEMBER the name "Ronald Taylor," and you
probably think you have never heard of John Kroll or Joseph Healy or
Emil Sanielevici. Why should you? The last three gentlemen were the
white victims of a black killer, Ronald Taylor, in Wilkinsburg,
Penn., just a couple of weeks ago. The story made the front pages
for about a day. And then just as suddenly it fell off the nation's
radar screen.

       However, I will bet you can identify Matthew Shepard, or James
Byrd, or Buford Furrow or, for that matter, Tawana Brawley. These
were the victims, the perpetrator, and the phony victim of
politically correct crimes in which all the actors assumed roles
that confirmed the prejudices of our liberal elites.

        A Double Standard?

        Taylor, a resident of publicly subsidized housing, recently
became incensed at maintenance workers trying to fix the door of his
apartment. "You're all white trash, racist pigs," he exploded.
"You're dead." He then went on a rampage that randomly killed Kroll,
Healy, and Sanielevici, and critically wounded two others. When the
FBI searched his apartment they found anti-Semitic, anti-Asian,
anti-Italian, and anti-white hate literature.

        Taylor's crime did not confirm the nation's most protected
racial prejudices, and that is why his criminal acts have been
pushed so quickly out of sight. We get no Time and Newsweek cover
stories about Taylor, no network features about black racism, no
White House press conferences to berate the nation, no Capitol Hill
resolutions authored by liberal Democratic Reps. Barney Frank (Ma.)
and Maxine Waters (Ca.) to condemn the outrage, and no calls for
hate-crime legislation to specifically include endangered white
males.

        To these indicators, let me add a personal note. As author of a
best-selling biography on the Kennedys, I am familiar enough to the
media so that every time a Kennedy kills himself (or someone else),
I get calls from a dozen shows at the networks, the cable channels,
and even the BBC to come on as an expert commentator on the event.
But even though I have a current book out called Hating Whitey,
http://www.dhorowitz.com/ which is high up on the Amazon.com
best-seller list, I have yet to receive a single interview request
to talk about this hate-whitey crime.

        The White Devil Made Him Do It

        Even more striking, perhaps, than this media blackout are
comments that have been volunteered by the few black spokespeople
who have actually acknowledged the racial dimension of the crime.
For example, the Rev. Thelma C. Mitchell, pastor at the Wilkinsburg
Baptist Church, told her congregation in a "healing" service: "You
cannot run from violence in the United States because the United
States was founded on violence. Why are we suddenly shocked,
brothers and sisters? The whole concept of racism and prejudice and
targeting people, this is not a new game. Although I in no way agree
with the methods he used, I suspect Mr. Taylor really did reflect a
growing frustration in this community because too many
African-American young men cannot find a meaningful job." In other
words, the white devil made him do it.

        Far from being an extreme example, this kind of formulation
functions as a mainstream excuse in the black community for the
racial outrages committed by its members. Dr. Alvin Poussaint, a
Harvard professor and one of the media's most quoted experts on the
psychology of racism, is a case in point. Poussaint managed to
identify Taylor's act as a case of "extreme racism." But in an
interview with the Washington Times on March 3, Poussaint also
speculated, in effect, that the white devil must have made Taylor do
it. He said that the shooter may have gained a "generalized hatred
toward all whites" from his personal experiences. The Times
reported: "He [Poussaint] wondered whether the suspect was 'abused'
by a white authority figure, such as a boss or a police officer. 'Or
was he stopped for racial profiling,' he asked."

        In fact, according to Ronald Hampton, executive director of the
National Black Police Association in Washington D.C., only the white
devil can be racist. Questioned about the killings, Hampton told the
Times, "It's impossible for blacks to practice racism on whites.
Racism is the sum total of prejudice and power … and blacks don't
have power in our society." Tell that to Taylor's three dead
victims.

        In search of outrage

        What Wilkinsburg reveals is a case of the chickens coming home
to roost. As I have pointed out in "Hating Whitey and Other
Progressive Causes", http://www.dhorowitz.com/ an entire academic
industry devoted to promoting anti-white racism, housed at elite
institutions like Princeton and Harvard, has flourished in recent
decades. In its view, America is a racist universe in which blacks
can only be victims and whites only oppressors. It is an academic
version of the Johnnie Cochran school of racial prosecution and
defense: indict America as racist, and let the culprit go free.
"Anti-white feelings … are not unusual" among some segments of the
black community, Poussaint conceded to the Times. "Blacks who have
such feelings against whites 'may feel justified,' Poussaint said,
'because during slavery and segregation, a collection of whites kept
them down.'"

        Now imagine if white professors talked similarly about the
racists who dragged James Byrd to his death. E.g.: "When asked about
the lynching of Byrd, Dr. Poussaint of Harvard acknowledged that it
was a case of "extreme racism" but wondered whether the suspects had
been previously 'abused' by a black authority figure such as a boss
or a police officer." What if this hypothetical Poussaint noted that
blacks commit nearly half the violent crimes in the United
States—many of them involving whites as victims—but speculated that
whites who have feelings of hatred against blacks "may feel
justified"? What would we think of Dr. Poussaint if he had said
that?

        Fortunately, these tragic deaths in Wilkinsburg have sparked at
least one response from deep within the black left that gives cause
for hope. If it is a harbinger of things to come, in fact, it shows
just how the troubled state of race relations in America might be
turned around. In a column appearing in Salon,

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2000/03/06/hate/index.html

Earl Ofari Hutchinson has struck exactly the right note to restore
moral balance in the black community. Noting the "deafening silence
by blacks" about this racial outrage, Hutchinson wrote, "Blacks must
mourn these murders as passionately as they do those of black
victims of white attacks and just as passionately call for the
harshest punishment of the killer(s)."

        Hutchinson is exactly right. But will anyone listen?

© 2000 VoxCap.com. All rights reserved.

"Note from a Friend of Emil Sanielevici," September 6, 2000 :
http://www.frontpagemag.com/dh/2000/david03-16-00_response.htm

E N D

AGREE OR DISAGREE? SEND IN YOUR COMMENTS: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
AND DAVID HOROWITZ WILL RESPOND. SEE IN YOUR FACE:
http://www.frontpagemagazine.com/inyourface/2000/default.htm

David Horowitz Archives:
http://www.frontpagemagazine.com/dh/index.htm

"Ignorance reigns, and the ignorant are so easy to offend,
for they cling to ignorance as if it were a virtue."

                                           Unknown