-Caveat Lector-

Mideast Residents Talk About War
http://www.worldnews.com/?action=display&article=4088610&template=worldnews/
search.txt&index=recent

The Associated Press, Mon 23 Oct 2000

AMMAN, Jordan (AP) — With Middle East peace talks at a standstill,
frustrated Palestinians in exile said Monday that the only way forward is to
fight.

``I can sell my house and my belongings, have my 11 children fight and die
as martyrs in the war for the sake of liberating Palestine from the Jews,''
said Walid al-Khatib, a 62-year-old Palestinian.

``What's more precious than our homeland?'' asked al-Khatib, who took refuge
in Amman's Hussein Camp after fleeing the West Bank town of Hebron during
the 1967 Middle East war.

In the past three weeks, thousands of demonstrators in Egypt, Syria, Iran,
Jordan and elsewhere across the Arab world have called for jihad, or holy
war, against Israel. The calls came as frustration soared because of the
faltering Middle East peace process, a sense that Arab leaders lack the will
for firm action and Israel's call for a ``timeout'' in negotiations.

``The Jews never wanted peace,'' Karima Abdul-Rahim, 65, said with a sigh.

``We lived for 52 years without peace and we can live another 52 years
without it,'' Abdul-Rahim said as she picked olives from a tree in her back
yard. She originally was from Ramleh in what is now Israel proper.

Across the street, shopkeeper Jihad Abu el-Samen, 56, said Israeli Prime
Minister Ehud Barak ``is playing games'' with Palestinian leader Yasser
Arafat and other Arab leaders.

``Barak's 'timeout' means he doesn't want peace,'' he said. ``If he doesn't
want peace, then he wants war. And we tell him we want war, too, because the
Jews only understand the language of force.''

Barak told his Cabinet the continuation of violence that erupted Sept. 28
between Palestinian demonstrators and Israeli security forces made it
necessary for his government to take a ``timeout'' from the peace
negotiations to assess the situation.

An emergency Arab summit meeting Saturday and Sunday in Egypt held Israel
responsible for the deadly violence. Leaders urged international
intervention but did not require Arab governments that have made peace with
Israel to sever their relations with the Jewish state.

Foreign Minister Abdul-Illah Khatib said Jordan, which signed a peace treaty
with Israel in 1994, will not cut ties with its neighbor. ``The peace
doesn't need more blows,'' he said.

Prime Minister Ali Abu-Ragheb told reporters that Barak's timeout
declaration was ``unacceptable and lacks logic.'' Instead, Barak should
return to the negotiating table, he added.

At Hussein camp — one of 13 camps in Jordan sheltering more than 1.57
million Palestinian refugees — people blamed Arab leaders for what they
described as Barak's ``defiance.''

``It was a slap in the face of all Arab leaders, who have no guts to stand
up and tell the criminal Barak, 'We want to cut ties with you,''' said
Yousef Attallah, 26, from Lod in what is now Israel.

Nidal Zahrawi, 29, a construction worker from the West Bank town of Beit
Sahour, said ``Arab people should unite, defy their leaders and fight
Israel.'' Both men's families fled to Jordan during the 1967 war.

Zahrawi's co-worker, Mahmoud Taha, 32, from Hebron, nodded his head. But
when asked if he would fight Israel if war were declared soon, he said: ``It
doesn't have to be now.''

``The Muslims will prevail in a war against the Jews, but not now. Maybe in
the next generation or the one after,'' he said.