-Caveat Lector-

November 3, 2000

'Drastic cutbacks' hurt Navy readiness

By Rowan Scarborough
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Navy has sent a message to Atlantic Fleet air units that
states budget shortfalls and inadequate spare parts are reducing
combat readiness.

The memo states a data cockpit display on the F-14, the Navy's
front-line air-to-air fighter, breaks so often it is one of the
"highest readiness degraders throughout the F-14 community."

The mission-capable rates for E-2 radar planes fell 12 percent in
the last three months alone because the units lacked money to buy
parts to keep all planes flying.

The October message also states that air bases at Oceana in
Virginia Beach, and Norfolk began the new fiscal year Oct.  1
short $16 million to buy crucial spare parts and instituted
"drastic cutbacks in spending."

"Present aviation spare parts funding is not adequate to support
the level of planned aviation operations," reads the message, a
copy of which was obtained by The Washington Times.

The message came from the Navy's Mid-Atlantic regional command
and was sent to Naval Air Force, Atlantic Fleet. The command
oversees 1,300 aircraft and their squadrons deployed on carriers
at sea or stationed at naval air stations. The message focused on
the woes of units in the Tidewater region awaiting a next
deployment.

Mike Maus, a spokesman for Naval Air Force, Atlantic Fleet, said
he did not know how many planes are not functioning due to parts
cannibalization.

"We're still meeting our missions," he said.  "We're not leaving
planes behind for deployment because they can't deploy.
Everything that is supposed to go on deployment is going."

He said the memo was meant to inform units they have to keep an
eye on spending.

Combat readiness has become an issue in the presidential race,
with Texas Gov.  George W.  Bush accusing the Clinton
administration of mismanaging the military.  Vice President Al
Gore argues the military never has been in better shape.

One naval aviator who reviewed the message says it paints an
"abysmal" picture.

Said another who read the memo: "The long and the short of this
is that air crew aren't happy because they are not flying, and
maintenance troops aren't happy because they are doing double
work for half the results.  This is what causes people to leave.
Frustration."

The Navy's Atlantic command message is particularly critical of
the F-14 fighter's "detailed data display," or DDD, which is
crucial to firing the jet's weapons.

"Maintenance actions indicate the high rate of failure of
numerous components in the DDD makes it one of the highest
readiness degraders throughout the F-14 community," it reports.
"This failure rate combined with known reliability of the DDD
directly impacting overall fleet readiness."

Paying the bills promises to get even worse this fiscal year. The
price tags for major components have jumped more than 50 percent
for some items, the memo states.

A propeller for the E-2 Hawkeye aircraft has jumped from $156,000
to $211,000.  A helicopter blade that cost $30,000 last year now
is $49,000.

"Increased [operational tempo], more expensive parts and lower
funding are driving up per-hour flying costs and reducing the
number of days" aircraft are air worthy, the memo states.  "The
inability to replenish stock assets had a direct negative impact
on the readiness of" units. "The shortfall in 4th quarter money
required drastic cutbacks in spending to the point where only
high priority requirements were requisitioned."

The memo reports squadrons coming off deployment "are swapping
parts at unprecedented levels just to maintain status quo."

When the carrier USS George Washington returns from deployment,
the message states, "many of the jets are expected to require
extensive repairs and maintenance from six months of carrier
operations."

The memo also states Oceana Naval Air Station had to cut back on
flight hours so planes could participate in Virginia Beach's
Neptune Festival Air Show in September.

Said one aviator: "It doesn't seem to be the kind of thing we
ought to see our guys do if we're having trouble fixing
airplanes."

But Mr.  Maus said such air shows are important to the Navy
mission.

"Air shows and flight demonstrations are still a very vital part
of the Navy," he said.  "They are very, very beneficial to the
recruiting effort."

Other alarm bells have sounded concerning the deteriorating state
of Navy aviation, a decline attributed to increased overseas
operations and spare parts shortages.

The Navy recently released an inspector general's report that
said the aviation community has "big problems" primarily due to
wear and tear on fighters and support aircraft.

Readiness woes also afflict West Coast-based aircraft.

Vice Adm.  John B.  Nathman confronted the problem during a
speech as he assumed command of Pacific naval air forces.

"To me, the fact is that we have reached such a low level of
funding it will soon be impossible to meet the expectations of
this nation in executing our operational tasks and completing the
mission," the fighter pilot said.  "There is a fundamental
disconnect between the value we provide and the willingness of
the richest nation on Earth to pay for its demands."

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>