-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.aci.net/kalliste/
Click Here: <A HREF="http://www.aci.net/kalliste/">The Home Page of J. Orlin
Grabbe</A>
------
On the Cybot Couch

Do Androids Dream?

Maybe not yet, but MIT is working on it.

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Dr. Anne Foerst, 34, a researcher at the Artificial
Intelligence Laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the
director of M.I.T.'s God and Computers project, apologized on a recent
afternoon that a certain robot named Kismet wouldn't be joining our
interview.
"Cynthia Breazeal, who built Kismet, is away in Japan right now and there's
no getting her going," Dr. Foerst said in her German accent, "but you'd love
her. She's oh so cute." A cute robot? Well, yes. At the Artificial
Intelligence Laboratory, engineers are trying to build robots with social
skills and humanlike experiences, and so, as an experiment, they've created
creatures that they think humans will relate to.
Dr. Foerst, a Lutheran minister who supported herself by repairing computers
during eight years of higher education in Germany, serves as theological
adviser to the scientists building Kismet and the robot's brother, Cog.
Q. What exactly do people do here at this laboratory?
A. We are trying to build robots that are social and embodied.
We have four projects. I am the theological adviser for two of them: the
building of the humanoid machines, Cog and Kismet.
Cog is a robot built in analogy to a human infant. He has a torso, two arms,
a head, ears and eyes. He, it, learns to coordinate those limbs to explore
its environment, just as newborn babies do. Kismet is a robot who interacts
with humans through her body posture and facial expressions. The aim of this
project is to explore social interactions between humans and robots and also
between the humans themselves.
Q. Why a theologian here in this particular laboratory?
A. Two reasons. The first is when you build machines in analogy to humans,
you make assumptions about humans. Theologians explore the cultural and
spiritual dimensions of that very question, What does it mean to be human?
The idea is that as these robots are built, we can use the wisdom of
religious studies to enlarge our understanding of humans, and thus what you
build into the humanoid machines.
The other reason is that when we build social interactive robots that force
people to treat them as if they were persons, tricky moral questions come up.
For instance, Who are we, really? Are all our reactions actually developed in
a very mechanistic, functionalist way? Or is there a dimension to social
interaction that goes beyond that? What are ethics here? Why should I treat
someone else like a human, with dignity, when it is just a mechanistic thing?
For instance, one question we discuss quite frequently is, What would be the
threshold when the robots are developed to a certain point that you couldn't
switch them off anymore? The question really is, When does a creature deserve
to be treated as intrinsically valuable?
Q. When do you think a robot should be treated as intrinsically valuable?
A. Well, that moment is 50 years down the road. At least. But it's pretty
clear that when it comes, those who built the robot will have to make that
decision because they won't be blinded by their fears of the seemingly human
qualities of the machines. They'll know what's inside. And if it ever got to
the point where the builders felt, Oops, now that has become something, the
builders could become the creature's strongest advocates.
Q. What make the robots Cog and Kismet different from previous ones?
A. Previous attempts put very abstract features of human intelligence into a
machine: chess playing, mathematical theorem-proving and natural language
processing. The idea now is, In order for a machine to really be intelligent,
it has to be embodied. We say intelligence cannot be abstracted from the
body. We feel that the body — the way it moves, grows, digests food, gets
older, all have an influence on how a person thinks. That's why we've built
Cog and Kismet to have humanoid features.
Cog moves and experiences the world the way someone who can walk upright
might. He experiences balance problems, friction problems, weight, gravity,
all the stuff that we do, so that he can have a body feeling that is similar
to ours. The humanoid features are also crafted into the machines in order to
trigger social responses from the people interacting with them.
The other thing we believe is that humans are human because we are social.
Thus, we try to treat Cog and Kismet something like the way most of us treat
babies, as if they have intentionality, emotion, desires and intelligence. We
give them as much social interaction as we can.
Cog is a whole body and Kismet is mostly a head and facial expression. Our
work with Cog concentrates more on the embodiment stuff and Kismet more on
emotional-social learning.
Q. Is the robot Kismet a she?
A. Robots are its. But I can't help but think of her as a she. If you were to
see Kismet, you would be taken by her enormously expressive face: long
eyelashes, big blue eyes, movable brow, cute, kissy mouth. When Kismet puts
her eyes on you and looks sad, you want to make her happy. Of course, part of
you thinks, It's just a stupid machine. But you do react and you can't help
it.
The point of reacting to Kismet is the same as reacting to a baby. We believe
that only when you treat the machines as if they have all these social cha
racteristics, will they ever get them. If you want to have an intelligent
being, you need to create that circle. So we react here to Kismet's emotional
displays. When she's bored, you want to make her happy. When she seems
scared, you back off.
Q. Has the very social robot Kismet done anything yet that has astonished
you?
A. Kismet has not yet learned. Cog is the one who learns. A former graduate
student, Matt Williamson, the guy who built Cog's arms, taught the robot how
to control his arm.
To coordinate the arms, Matt had to touch a part of Cog's body and then, the
arm would touch that part, too. After he did that for the first time, Matt
ran into my office and said, "You've got to come to look at this." It looked
so eerily human. It's not so much that Cog does something that's unexpected,
it's more the human reaction, like, it's alive!
Q. People often talk about humans having some indefinable extra above life
that makes for humanness — some call it "spirit." Can a robot have spirit?
A. Rod calls it "juice." He says, "Even though I get it all right, might
there not be some juice I'm missing?" I would say from a religious
perspective, the juice is that which comes from the outside world and emerges
in social interaction.
Q. Some people might complain that in building humanoid robots, you are
trying to supplant God.
A. Yes. I know. They say, "Do you want to be like God?" Actually, if you use
biology as your inspiration in your robot-building and focus on embodiment
and environment, you get much more humble instead of arrogant. Suddenly, you
realize that even the most brilliant robot that the most brilliant engineers
have worked on for years and years is still dumber than an insect.
Q. So, in your view, God is, as the Latin Americans say, the "intellectual
author" of everything?
A. No. The creative author. When we are creative, the power of creation is
from God.
Q. In the many plays, novels and movies about robots, the dramatic climax of
the story always comes at moment when the machine achieves sentience. Why do
you think that is?
A. Well, I think it's the search to feel and to be treated like something
more than the sum of the parts that's inherently dramatic. This is the moment
when the robots start to participate in the all-too-human quest of what does
it mean to be me?
Q. In the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey," HAL becomes a danger to humans once
he's sentient.
A. In "Frankenstein," too. But in both cases, there is an explanation. When
you look at Frankenstein, he is never part of a community. His creator left
him right away. The people hated him, feared him, ran away from him. The only
person who ever loved him was a blind man who couldn't see what he looked
like. Frankenstein was never treated as a valuable being, a person with
dignity. He had to turn against the society that shunned him. Where should
the goodness come from when he never experienced it himself?
HAL is the same thing. And he's disembodied. There is no body with which to
experience the world. I would even say that in such a setting a robot
couldn't even become sentient. In the movie, HAL becomes sentient at some
point and nobody notices. No one treats him properly and he's isolated and
what happens? He becomes psychotic.
Q. What's your favorite robot movie?
A. "Blade Runner." I teach it in my classes. The robots have this absolute
search for meaning, and when their quest is not taken seriously, it becomes
fatal. The movie raises this wonderful question: how do humanoid creatures
feel about having been created by us and how do they deal with their
human-made limitations?
The New York Times, November 7, 2000
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,