-Caveat Lector-

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/11/politics/11REPU.html

New York Times
Saturday, November 11, 2000

Bush Team Questions Results of the Recounts in 2 Counties

By JIM YARDLEY

With Democrats focusing attention on the voting in Palm Beach
County, Florida Republicans and the Bush campaign yesterday
questioned the recounts in two counties where Vice President Al
Gore saw his tallies increase by several hundred votes.

But so far, the Republican challenges have come up empty.

Lawyers for the Bush campaign spent yesterday examining envelopes
used for mailing absentee ballots in Pinellas County, in western
Florida, where the recount netted Mr. Gore an additional 478
votes, his second-biggest increase in the state. This is the
first county in which the Bush team has challenged the vote and
examined election materials.

Paul J. Bedinghaus, the chairman of the Republican Party in
Pinellas County, which includes St. Petersburg, said early
yesterday, "We found some things of interest, but we haven't
found anything yet that I would say would be significant." By
yesterday evening, Mr. Bedinghaus added, "We haven't drawn any
conclusion, and we're still working."

In rural Gadsden County, just west of Tallahassee, in northern
Florida, the Bush campaign had not asked to examine ballots, but
it did accuse local election officials of overstepping their
authority during the recount by adding 187 ballots that had been
disqualified in the Nov. 7 vote. All but 17 of those ballots went
to Mr. Gore.

"They were asked to do a recount and a recount only," said Ken
Sukhia, a former United States attorney in Tallahassee working
for the Bush campaign. "They did something more than a recount.
They looked at ballots that had been rejected and then made
guesses as to the voter's intent. We don't think that is
appropriate."

Mr. Sukhia said he objected during the Gadsden County recount
when officials began examining the roughly 2,000 votes that had
been disqualified on election night and began adding some of
those votes to the count.

Sterling Watson, a county commissioner who helped conduct the
recount, said the canvassing board used common sense in
reinstating the 187 ballots. In some cases, Mr. Watson said,
voters had filled out the circle beside the name of one
candidate, then crossed it out and filled in the circle for
another candidate.

"We made a judgment that somebody made a mistake and corrected
their mistake, that's all," Mr. Watson said. He said officials
followed the same practice for the primaries.

Ray Sullivan, a Bush campaign spokesman working from Tallahassee,
would not comment on whether the campaign was considering a legal
challenge to the vote in Gadsden County, saying only, "When we
feel there may be problems and violations, we've certainly raised
questions and concerns."

By this weekend, the Bush camp expects to have more than 200
people, most of them lawyers, working in Florida.

The situation in Pinellas County brought a small platoon of
Republican Party lawyers and officials early yesterday morning to
Clearwater to challenge the results. According to county
officials, one clerk had mistakenly not counted some 1,100
absentee ballots on election night, while another clerk had
counted about 400 ballots twice. The mistakes were quickly
discovered in a first recount on Wednesday, and the total from
that count changed by only eight votes after a second recount on
Thursday.

"I am not exactly sure what they are looking for," said Betsy
Steg, the assistant county attorney who represents the supervisor
of elections, "but they're basically redoing what we've already
done." George Jirotka, the lawyer for the local Republican Party,
said the recount attracted Republicans' attention when nearly 400
votes were added in the recount in which Mr. Gore gained 417
votes and Gov. George W. Bush lost 61. Mr. Jirotka characterized
Pinellas County as mostly Republican, though President Clinton
won it in 1996.

"We saw the results and said, `How did that happen?' " Mr.
Jirotka said. On Wednesday night, he said the Bush campaign
officially requested to re-examine the results.

Mr. Bedinghaus said yesterday that campaign officials compared
the names of people who had requested absentee ballots in
Pinellas County with the signatures on the envelopes of those
returned. But with no apparent discrepancies uncovered by the end
of the day, he said campaign officials would return today to
examine the absentee ballots that were disqualified.

The challenge by the Bush campaign put Robert L. Shirer, the vice
chairman of the county Democratic Party, in the unusual position
of defending the county elections board, which is dominated by
Republicans.

"My experience of this elections office as a Democrat — and they
are Republicans — is that they are squeaky clean and very
careful," Mr. Shirer said.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>