-Caveat Lector-

How predictable.  A woman takes the blame again.

On 11 Nov 2000, at 20:09, MICHAEL SPITZER wrote:

> Ballot designer, under fire, hires lawyer and hides out
>
> By ALLEN G. BREED
> ASSOCIATED PRESS
> WEST PALM BEACH, FLA.
>
> Theresa LePore might be the most reviled Democrat in the country.
>
> LePore is the Palm Beach County supervisor of elections who
> designed the ballot that some Democrats say was so confusing it
> may have cost Al Gore the election.
>
> More than 19,000 of the ballots were disqualified Tuesday, mostly
> because people voted for two candidates in the presidential race.
> Others say they mistakenly voted for Pat Buchanan instead of Gore.
>
> Now, LePore has been hit with voter lawsuits.  A Democratic state
> lawmaker said he plans to organize a petition drive to force her from
> her elective office.  And demonstrators and others have denounced her.
>
> Robert Montgomery Jr., a lawyer who defended two former
> Salvadoran generals cleared of responsibility in a Miami
> courtroom last week for the 1980 murders of four American church
> women, has been hired by LePore to represent her in the numerous
> lawsuits.
>
> LePore, 45, has said she sent the ballot to dozens of candidates
> and others before the election and heard no complaints.  She said she
> designed the ballot to make the print easier to read for senior
> citizens -- one of the groups most incensed by the election.
>
> She has gone into semi-seclusion since the controversy erupted.
>
> Given her history, friends said it is amazing that LePore should
> be caught up in such a maelstrom.
>
> The daughter of a West Palm Beach city commissioner, LePore is a
> staunch Democrat.
>
> She took an after-school job as a clerk in the county elections
> office in 1971 at age 16, before she was even old enough to vote.
> >From there, she advanced to secretary to the assistant elections
> supervisor, then to supervisor in 1995.
>
> ``She has done nothing but work for that county,'' said Mary
> Marsh, LePore's younger sister.  ``I think the only time that
> she's not working is when she's sleeping.''

###

A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain
men from injuring one another, which shall leave
them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits
of industry and improvement, and shall not take
from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned.
This is the sum of good government.
-- Thomas Jefferson (1801)