HREF="http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/2/_/1406/_/974026622/"><B>Click
Here!</B></A>

Thanks,

Robert Sterling
Editor, The Konformist
http://www.konformist.com

Sat, 11 Nov 2000
Robert Parry ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

As courageous Democrats like Bill Bradley are urging Al Gore to do the
bend-over thing "for the good of the country," it reminds me how
important
the bipartisan cover-ups of the various Republican October Surprises
were:
1968 (the Paris peace talks), 1980 (the Iranian hostages) and 1992
(the
Passport files, which hurt but did not destroy the Clinton candidacy).

Each time, the Democrats knew the truth but chose to keep quiet or
acquiesce
to false history "for the good of the country." Yet all we're hearing
about
now is how Nixon was a "patriot" for having accepted the election
results in
1960.

Part of our lost history also is that Nixon planned his own 1960
October
Surprise, the ouster or assassination of Fidel Castro but it didn't
pan out.
Then, he was faced with the reality that regardless of the
shenanigans in
Illinois and Texas, Kennedy had won the popular vote. The situation
is not at
all comparable to today.

Yet, here come the weenie Democrats again, not to mention the Jeff
Greenfield pundits who are so determined to protect the democratic
process
that they don't seem to care that the process is about to overturn
the will
of the American people.

*****

Elena Goss
Letter to MSNBC:
---------------------
This is our future.  This is not a game.  This is not basketball or
football
where an unfair call from the ref can determine the outcome of the
game.
Where in the end people go home grumbling about the unfairness of it
all but
accepting the outcome nonetheless.  This is a democracy.  We cannot be
expected to accept this outcome.  We cannot be expected to grumble
about
this unfairness and move on.  There should be no uncertainty, no
unfairness
in a democracy.

It is clear that in this uncertain time, the only thing that will
bring the
American people certainty is a revote in Florida.  A recount just
isn't
enough to restore America's confidence in our electoral process. If
Florida's citizens do not get an opportunity to cast their votes for
the
real candidate of their choice, then at least half of America's
population
will be doubting the legitimacy of America's President for the next
four
years.

Furthermore, if Republicans are so confident that Bush won the
electoral
vote in Florida, then they should not feel threatened at all by the
prospect
of a revote.  If in fact Bush did win the electoral vote in Florida as
Republicans wish to claim, then surly a revote would show this.
Republicans
need to give American citizens a bit more credit - no one is fooled
by their
attempts to sweep this issue under the rug.  It is clear that
Republicans
fear the truth - the truth being that if the citizens of Florida are
given
the opportunity to cast their votes for the candidate of their
choice, Gore
will be victorious.

Conservatives' calls for Gore to concede are off base and I believe
unconstitutional.  It is not Gore's place to concede.  Neither Gore
nor Bush
get to decide by concession who will be the next president.  It is the
American people who decide who will be President and they decide with
their
votes.  In this case, the votes have been tainted by ballots in
Florida that
are questionable at best and illegal at worst.

Gore has a responsibility to the American people. It is his
responsibility
to hang in there until this election has been resolved in a fair,
legitimate
and legal way.  And I can see no simpler way to resolve this issue
than
holding a revote in Florida. It is the only way to settle the issue
once and
for all. It is the only way that we can feel confident, no matter
what the
outcome, that our next President is the President of choice - the
President
that was elected fairly and legally.

*****

Friday November 10 8:56 PM ET
Palm Beach Readies for Hand Count of Ballots
By David Lawsky

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (Reuters) - Palm Beach County prepared on
Friday to recount a sample 4,100 ballots by hand on Saturday at the
request of Democrats and over the objection of Republicans to provide
a crucial piece in completing the U.S. presidential election puzzle.

The Democrats sought a hand vote in order to get ``the most accurate
count'' possible and in an effort to determine whether more Gore
support might be drawn from thousands of ballots declared invalid
after the initial machine count.

Democrats say the number of invalid ballots was unusually high in the
county this year, while Republicans say it was comparable to 1996. A
Reuters computation showed ballots were invalidated at a 40 percent
higher rate this year than in 1996, even after adjusting for
increases in the number of votes cast.

Republicans have also requested a recount of all ballots in the
county, but they want it done by machine and not by hand.

Republican George W. Bush (news - web sites) leads Democrat Al Gore
(news - web sites) by a few hundred of the more than 5.8 million
votes cast in Florida, with the winner gaining Florida's 25 electoral
votes and the presidency, if other states stay the same.

Democrats have focused on Palm Beach County in particular, because
19,120 ballots were disqualified for ``overvoting'' in the
presidential race -- voting for more than one candidate.

A Palm Beach County Commissioner, Carol Roberts, one of three members
of the board that will supervise a hand canvass of 4,100 ballots at 9
a.m. (1400 GMT) Saturday, said, ``We'll all sit down as civilized
human beings and we'll ask the Democratic Party (news - web sites) to
tell us which three precincts they want to pick.''

Under state law, the 4,100 represents 1 percent of the total votes
cast in the county, and may be taken from any three precincts chosen
by those requesting the hand count.

Then officials will break seals on locked boxes and move them to
counting tables across the room. Roberts said the count will be
affected by ``hanging chads.''

This is the election workers' name for the dangling bits of cardboard
produced when voters fail to punch out the holes completely in
punchcard ballots, rendering the ballots unreadable by counting
machines. But if the ``chad'' falls out during handling, and the
ballot is run through the machine a second time, the ballot will be
read and counted, producing a discrepancy in the vote totals.

Counting Methods

Hand counting is supposed to eliminate that problem, because each
ballot is inspected.

Bush spokesman Tucker Eskew told reporters on the street below that
the Bush campaign opposed a hand count.

``Any move toward a manual recount is troublesome,'' he said on the
closed-off street next to the huge county government building, the
scene of large demonstrations one day earlier. ``This country has
moved toward machine voting and machine tabulation for a reason,''
Eskew said. ``It reduces human error. It eliminates any improper
influence. It speeds up the process.''

Kym Spell, a spokesman for the Gore campaign in Nashville, Tenn.,
said the campaign ``requested the hand vote in order to get the most
accurate count, especially as it concerns these 19,100 ballots that
were apparently not tabulated at all.''

On Thursday, Bush campaign Chairman Donald Evans told a news
conference that in making such charges Democrats neglect ''to point
out that in 1996, a year with much lower turnout, a similar number of
14,872 ballots were invalidated for double counting in Palm Beach
County.''

Roberts, a Democrat, took issue with Evans' figures saying he was
effectively counting apples and oranges in one example, but only
apples in the other.

Roberts said the 14,872 invalid ballots in 1996 included those that
were overvoted along with those that failed to cast any vote for
president. If the same two groups were lumped together this year the
number swells from 19,120 to 29,702.

``You are close to 30,000, so there is a dramatic difference'' from
the figures cited by Evans, Roberts said in an interview in her
office of the Palm Beach County Building.

Records show the number of invalid ballots grew more quickly than the
number of ballots cast for presidential candidates in Palm Beach
County. This year 431,621 votes were cast for Gore, Bush, Pat
Buchanan (news - web sites) and Ralph Nader (news - web sites). In
1996, 303,172 votes were cast for Bill Clinton, Bob Dole and Ross
Perot, according to Palm Beach Post figures published on Nov. 6, 1996.

Democrats attribute the problems to the now-notorious ''butterfly
ballot'' which confused some voters, who either punched the wrong
hole and voted for conservative candidate Buchanan by accident, or
invalidated their ballots by punching the hole next to Buchanan and
the hole next to Gore. The problems have touched off a spate of
lawsuits.

*****

Friday November 10 11:09 PM ET
Bush Considers Seeking Court Order

By RON FOURNIER, AP Political Writer

George W. Bush (news - web sites) gave a top adviser authority Friday
night to seek a court order stopping Al Gore (news - web sites)'s
campaign from securing manual recounts of contested ballots in
Florida, as both sides of an improbably deadlocked presidential
election looked to the judicial branch for help in the make-or-break
state.

In a war of nerves, Bush's camp pressed Al Gore to concede Florida
without multiple recounts yet Democrats pressed ahead with their
protests - determined to find enough votes to erase Bush's advantage
in initial counting. ``The quicker we get this resolved the better
off it is for the nation,'' said Bush, even as his camp considered
whether to seek the injunction.

Replied Gore campaign chairman William Daley: ``This campaign is not
over.''

That is what worried some Democrats across the country, who sought to
carefully balance support for Gore with suggestions that his options
were dwindling.

``I think that people's patience is going to be fairly limited,''
said Gov. Jim Hodges of South Carolina.

``He needs to rise above it and say, 'So be it.' You deal with the
hand you're dealt,'' said Paul Feleciano, longest serving Democrat in
the Kansas Legislature.

Bush clung to a razor-thin lead in Florida - the crucial White House
state with its 25 electoral votes - after county officials completed
a machine-counted review of the 6 million ballots cast. Still to come
were an unknown number of votes from Floridians living overseas and
the state's official certification, due next Tuesday.

In Florida, Gore advisers cited confusing and irregular ballots to
press for follow-up recounts by hand in four predominantly Democratic
counties. They won approval in three - one recount began Friday, two
more Saturday - and the fourth request will be heard Tuesday.

In a late-night conference call Friday, Bush gave James A. Baker III -
 the former secretary of state who's protecting the Texas governor's
interests in Florida - authority to seek a court injunction barring
the manual recounts, according to several GOP officials involved in
the discussions. The officials said it was very likely the injunction
would be sought, but stressed that it was up to Baker to make the
final decision. A source close to Baker said the former secretary had
not decided. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity.

The action, however tentative, underscores the Bush campaign's
concern that a widespread manual recount could erode his fragile lead
over Gore and perhaps force Bush to seek recounts of his own in
Florida and other close-voting states. Baker had said earlier that
he's prepared to ``vigorously fight'' the manual recount because they
open the process to mistakes and fraud that are avoided by machine
counts.

To buy some time, Gore's lawyers asked the state's Republican
secretary of state late Friday to defer certification of the results
until the manual recounts are complete. The recounts could drag on,
though canvassing board members face fines of $200 a day after
Tuesday.

Republicans were getting into the act: At Bush's request, Palm Beach
County officials will perform a mechanical recount Saturday of all
ballots while conducting a separate recount by hand for Gore.

``The entire effort that's going on now in Florida is aimed at making
sure that whoever takes office in January as president of the United
States will do so with full legitimacy,'' Gore running mate Joseph
Lieberman (news - web sites) told CBS.

``As frustrating as this wait may be,'' Daley said earlier, ``what we
are seeing here is democracy in action.''

Frustrated described Bush to a T.

``We will be prepared'' to take office Jan. 20, the governor told
reporters, taking a break from planning what he hopes will be a
transition to power. He and his aides acknowledged that he can't
claim victory before the overseas votes are counted and certified.

``There are still votes to be counted,'' Bush said.

And so Republicans moved on several fronts to blunt Gore's ballot
challenges. Bush strategists considered seeking recounts in GOP areas
of Florida if Democrats started having success in their recounts, a
senior strategist said.

Other responses to Gore's tactics:

- Bush's camp portrayed him as a man deep in planning for the
presidency, victory nearly assured. ``The vote on Tuesday night
showed Governor Bush won Florida's election, and a recount now
confirmed his victory,'' spokeswoman Karen Hughes said in a statement
released at 5:30 a.m. EST, catching the first wave of the media cycle.

- Strategists eyed other close-voting states in case Florida falls to
Gore. Republicans in Wisconsin said they found ballot irregularities.
And Baker, speaking of recount drives, said ominously: ``That game
can be played'' by both sides.

- Bush aides said Gore should concede the state and the White House
if the initial recount and next week's certification show Bush ahead.
``We certainly hope that in the best interest of the country the vice
president will think carefully about his talk of lawsuits and endless
recounts,'' Hughes said.

An unofficial tally by The Associated Press in Florida's 67 counties
showed the Texas governor with a 327-vote lead. State officials said
their recount showed Bush leading by 960 votes with one county left.
That was Palm Beach County, where the AP showed a big Gore gain.

Not counting the Sunshine State, Bush had won 29 states for 246
electoral votes. Gore, who added Oregon to his victory column Friday,
had won 19 states plus the District of Columbia for 262, with 270
needed for victory. New Mexico, with five electoral votes, remained
too close to call.

Gore's lead in New Mexico was down to about 100 Friday night.

The incomplete national popular vote totals showed Gore leading Bush
by 218,441 votes: 49,244,746 to 49,026,305 - about 48 percent each.

Despite the show of confidence, Bush said it's ``a little early'' for
him to contact the outgoing Clinton administration about the
mechanics of transition. He also tabled plans to resign as Texas
governor and hand the reins to his Republican lieutenant governor
during the transition; that decision will wait until after the
election is resolved, aides said.

The aides said Bush adviser Larry Lindsey was likely to be offered
the job of treasury secretary or chief White House economist if Bush
is elected.

As he met with Lindsey and other advisers about the transition, two
noisy groups of protesters shouted rival messages outside the
Governor's Mansion in Austin. ``No Fuzzy Election'' read some anti-
Bush signs. The governor's supporters chanted, ``The people have
spoken.''

For his part, Gore was at the vice president's residence in
Washington, where he played touch football with his family. He talked
of winning, then added with a smile: ``I'm talking about the touch
football game.''

His Democratic allies were not so optimistic about the presidential
race, and many were opposed to legal action.

``I think everybody is waiting to see what happens but the general
feeling is that Bush will probably win,'' said Gene Bushmann, former
chairman of the Missouri Democratic Party (news - web sites). He
praised Gore's effort, but said, ``I think going to the lawsuit stage
would be too much.''

Former Arkansas Sen. Dale Bumpers said Gore should consider calling
it quits after Florida's absentee ballots are counted.

``There might come a time when the vice president would be well
served to say the country's interest is more important than the
interests of one person or political party, and go ahead and
concede,'' Bumpers said.

Hodges said Gore has a right to seek recounts, but doubted that a
legal challenge of confusing Palm Beach ballots would work.
``Generally, most successful challenges have been on fraud,'' he said.

``I'd advise we exhaust all other remedies before we attempt any
consideration of a court challenge,'' said Senate Democratic leader
Tom Daschle of South Dakota.

Though still talking legal action, Gore's team was using softer tones
than a day earlier.

The campaign's legal experts ``feel strongly'' that the ballot used
Election Day in Palm Beach County was unlawful, Daley said. ``We'll
see what actions follow out of that.''

*****

Cuba offers US election observers

Cuba's foreign minister has offered to send observers to the US to
oversee
a new election in Florida, should a second ballot be required.
Felipe Perez Roque says he wonders what the US would do if the
complaints of
voter confusion over some ballots and reports of alleged
irregularities had
occurred in other countries.

"I believe that those in the United States who have always tried to
become
judges of the elections that take place elsewhere must be receiving a
lesson
of modesty and humbleness," Mr Perez Roque said. And he has called
for "a
more rigorous or strict international scrutiny regarding the
transparency of
(US) elections."

Mr Perez Roque says a new round of balloting in the state is
a "reasonable
suggestion," but stresses it is a decision for the US people to make.
He
says Cuba will be willing to provide advisers if asked. But he adds
that as
far as Cuba is concerned, it doesn't matter whether
Texas Governor George W Bush or Vice President Al Gore wins the
election
since neither has advocated lifting the nearly 40-year-old embargo
against
the Communist island.

If you are interested in a free subscription to The Konformist
Newswire,
please visit http://www.eGroups.com/list/konformist/ and sign up. Or,
e-mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with the subject: "I NEED 2
KONFORM!!!"
(Okay, you can use something else, but it's a kool catch phrase.)

Visit the Klub Konformist at Yahoo!: