</FONT><A
HREF="http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/2/_/1406/_/975422166/"><B>Click
Here!</B></A>

Thanks,

Robert Sterling
Editor, The Konformist
http://www.konformist.com

http://www.CircleOfLifeFoundation.org/lunacut.htm
ANCIENT REDWOOD TREE LUNA WHERE JULIA BUTTERFLY HILL LIVED FOR OVER
TWO YEARS HAS BEEN ILLEGALLY CUT AND ENDANGERED

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE November, 27 2000

Contact: Circle of Life Foundation: (707) 923-9522, (707) 923-4619

The small hamlet of Stafford, California is the site of a landslide
that
originated on PL/Maxxam land that destroyed seven families' homes.
Stafford
is also home to the Stafford Giant, an ancient redwood tree now known
the world as Luna. The tree was named Luna by forest activists who
used the
light of the full moon to rig a treesitting platform 180 feet high in
the
redwood in October, 1997.

On December 10, 1997 Julia Butterfly Hill climbed into the tree to
protect
the magnificent redwood and to help make the world aware of the
plight of
the ancient forests. From her perch she carried out a tremendous
amount of
outreach to politicians, religious leaders, school children and
citizens
worldwide.  After two years of risking her life, Julia, with the help
of
members of the US Steelworkers of America and other forest activists,
successfully negotiated the permanent protection of Luna and a nearly
three-acre buffer zone.

The tree was protected by a Deed of Covenant, similar to a
conservation
easement that is held by the land trust Sanctuary Forest. The Luna
Preservation Agreement, signed by Julia Hill and PL/Maxxam Corp., was
designed to protect Luna in perpetuity so the tree could live for
another
millennium.

On Thanksgiving weekend it was discovered that a critical cut had
been made
into Luna by a large chainsaw. The perpetrator made one deep and
precise
cut that went through a significant portion of the tree. While the
tree is
still alive and standing, Luna is extremely vulnerable to a windstorm.
Judging from the precision of the cut and the fresh sawdust, the
criminal
action appears to have been committed by an experienced treefaller
within
the last few days.

Julia Butterfly was devastated to learn of the injury to Luna, "Luna
is the
greatest teacher and best friend I have ever had. I gave two years of
my
life to ensure that she could live and die naturally.  But two years
is
nothing compared to the thousand years she has lived, providing
shelter,
moisture and oxygen to forest inhabitants. It kills me that the last
3% of
the ancient redwoods are being desecrated. I feel this vicious attack
on
Luna as surely as if the chainsaw was going through me. Words cannot
express the deep sorrow that I am experiencing but I am as committed
as
ever to do everything in my power to protect Luna and the remaining
ancient
forests."

Circle of Life Foundation and Sanctuary Forest are researching what
can be
done to stabilize the critically injured tree. There is a criminal
investigation at the crime site for clues as to who may have
committed this
spiteful and malevolent action against this permanently protected
tree.

The forests surrounding Luna are sacrifice zones that were not
protected
under the Headwaters Forest Agreement. Other sacrifice zones include
the
old-growth Douglas fir forests on Rainbow Ridge in the Mattole River
watershed. Police convoys are actively trying to stop forest
activists from
defending these forested steep slopes that are slated to be clearcut
during
this rainy season.

Dana Stolzman

If you are interested in a free subscription to The Konformist
Newswire,
please visit http://www.eGroups.com/list/konformist/ and sign up. Or,
e-mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with the subject: "I NEED 2
KONFORM!!!"
(Okay, you can use something else, but it's a kool catch phrase.)

Visit the Klub Konformist at Yahoo!: