-Caveat Lector-

Newsmax.com

Exclusive: Ray Asks for Flowers' Tapes While Weighing Clinton Indictment

By Carl Limbacher

Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2000

The office of Independent Counsel Robert Ray has asked longtime
Clinton paramour Gennifer Flowers for original copies of her
famous taped phone calls with President Clinton, NewsMax.com has
learned exclusively.

 "They didn't tell me what he wants them for," Flowers said,
noting that while Independent Counsel Ken Starr was in charge of
the president's prosecution, investigators never asked to talk to
her and showed no interest in her Clinton recordings.

Flowers tipped NewsMax.com to Ray's request while she was
attending a reception for Judicial Watch's Oct. 20 presidential
debate in Washington. She asked at the time that the information
remain confidential pending advice of counsel.

 CNN reported Friday that a grand jury convened by Ray had begun
contacting witnesses with an eye toward possibly indicting the
president after he leaves office.

 The Los Angeles Times revealed Tuesday that Ray intended to
interview Monica Lewinsky yet again, despite reams of testimony
from the former White House intern already gathered for Clinton's
impeachment.

 "There's really no reason for Ray to re-interview Lewinsky
unless he's figuring to do something with that new grand jury in
the way of an indictment," said Washington lawyer Joseph Di
Genova, a former independent counsel himself.

 By the same measure, Flowers' tapes, complete with transcripts,
have been publicly available since 1993. Ray's request for her
originals suggests that investigators have already determined
they are somehow relevant to Clinton's prosecution and now merely
seek to establish the authenticity of the recordings.

 "I'll tell you one thing - wherever those tapes go, I go,"
Flowers told NewsMax.com, still concerned that her tapes could be
tampered with by anyone seeking to discredit her.

 The Clinton witness said that while most of the recordings were
clear, others were hard to understand. "I made those tapes on a
$20 tape recorder," she explained. "I had no idea at the time how
important they eventually would become."

 In 1992 Flowers had the tapes examined by Truth Verification
Labs after Clinton "War Room" operators James Carville and George
Stephanopoulos claimed they were "doctored." TVL certified them
as 100 percent authentic.

Working with lawyers for Judicial Watch, Flowers has since sued
the Clinton spinmeisters for defamation. A Las Vegas judge
dismissed the case in September, but Flowers intends to file an
appeal.

 In one 1991 tape-recorded conversation, Clinton urged Flowers to
commit perjury about her state job in testimony before an
Arkansas state labor grievance review board.

 FLOWERS: The only thing that concerns me, where I'm concerned at
this point is the state job.

 CLINTON: Yeah, I never thought about that. But as long as you
say you'd just been looking for one, if they ever ask if you've
talked to me about it, you can say no.

 Clinton, then governor of Arkansas, was counseling Flowers to
lie under oath in answer to a complaint brought by Charlette
Perry, a state clerical worker who lost her promotion after
Clinton gave the job to Flowers instead.

 Though the statute of limitations would have long ago lapsed on
Clinton's 10-year-old attempt to suborn Flowers' perjury,
prosecutors could use the tape-recorded exchange to demonstrate a
pattern of witness tampering and obstruction of justice to grand
jurors.

 In August, a member of the three-judge panel overseeing Ray's
office first revealed that a grand jury had been seated to hear
Clinton's case.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>