From: "Dave Hartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Colombian police spray herbicide on coca, US Sen. Wellstone
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000

From:  Sanho Tree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Friends,

Last Friday I had the opportunity to debate the Colombian Ambassador and
Amb. James Mack (the State Department's interagency coordinator for Plan
Colombia) at Yale Law School.  Ambassador Mack berated opponents of Plan
Colombia for distorting the facts about aerial fumigation.  He claimed it
was totally safe and sprayed with "GPS guided precision."  Ironically, the
following story broke that very morning.  Senator Wellstone was observing a
demonstration flight when his delegation accidentally got doused with the
broad-spectrum herbicide called glyphosate.  So much for precision.  For
more information on the devastating health and environmental impact of
aerial fumigation in the drug war check out http://www.usfumigation.org.
-Sanho

Published Friday, December 1, 2000

Colombian police spray herbicide on coca, Wellstone

Rob Hotakainen / Star Tribune

TARASA, COLOMBIA -- Standing next to 10-foot coca bushes in a remote
mountain region near the Tarasa River on Thursday, Sen. Paul Wellstone was
ready to watch the Colombian National Police demonstrate its new approach
to fumigating coca, the raw product used to produce cocaine.

But then something odd happened: Wellstone got sprayed, along with
surprised members of his delegation, including his press secretary and
foreign policy adviser.

Police officials said it was a mistake, blaming the wind for blowing the
chemical -- known as glysophate -- from its intended path.

Moments earlier, Lt. Col. Marcos Pedreros, the police official in charge of
the spraying mission, had assured Wellstone that the spray posed no risk to
humans, animals or the environment. Officials said it's similar to Roundup,
a commonly used herbicide.

"I am Colombian," said Pedreros, who communicated through an interpreter
with Wellstone, D-Minn. "I love my motherland, and with my men I couldn't
destroy my own homeland. I know that what I'm doing is under the law, and
that's why I do it with love and devotion."

Ironically, the U.S. Embassy in Colombia had just circulated materials to
reporters, noting the "precise geographical coordinates" used to spray coca
fields. According to embassy officials, a computer program sets precise
flight lines with a 170-foot width, leaving little room for error.

But Wellstone was hit with a fine mist of the herbicide from a helicopter
flying less than 200 feet above him. He winced and rubbed his eyes later,
but he managed a joke, saying he could become a case study on possible
dangers linked to the chemical.

Asked whether he was stunned to get hit, Wellstone said: "Oh, yeah, and I'm
imagining that I'm itching a lot, too."

One of the members of Wellstone's delegation was particularly irked after
she was sprayed.

"I really resented it," said Pamela Costain, executive director of the
Minneapolis-based Resource Center of the Americas, who thinks the
fumigation of coca fields could result in long-term environmental damage.
"I'm fearful about what they're using, and I really didn't want to get it
on me."

Colombian officials sought to downplay the incident.

"We did not spray on the people or on the senator," said Gen. Gustavo
Socha, anti-narcotics director for the Colombian National Police, speaking
through an interpreter. But when told that a reporter witnessed the
incident, Socha said: "What hit him was because of the wind, not because
they had the intention."

Wellstone, one of the few senators to oppose a $1.3 billion U.S. aid plan
to help Colombia fight its drug war, drew much attention from the Colombian
press. The plan is a pet project for Colombian President Andres Pastrana,
but Wellstone said that peasant farmers will continue growing coca as long
as few jobs exist in a country where unemployment hovers at 20 percent.

Using an interpreter to speak to Colombian reporters, Wellstone said: "I
believe they are very honestly committed to this fight, but I have to
wonder whether or not we will be able to win this fight against this
narcotics trade as long as the people in Colombia and the countryside do
not have other alternatives to enable them to be able to make a living and
as long as in my country -- the United States of America -- there is such
demand. ... I will remain a critic, but with respect."

Colombian police used Wellstone's visit to announce plans to spray 17,290
acres of coca as part of its new Operation "Paramillo." Police said 300 men
will be involved in the effort, using Black Hawk helicopters sent by the
United States. Police are targeting a region where violence is high as
paramilitary groups clash with guerrilla groups over who will control the
nation's drug trade.

After receiving the U.S. aid, Colombian officials gave Wellstone a warm
welcome.

"Be certain that your visit raises the morale of our men," Pedreros told
Wellstone, shortly before he boarded a helicopter to witness the spraying
at a nearby coca field that had been discovered with aerial surveillance.

At the site, police found 35 raspachines, or coca workers, who were
arrested as they stuffed coca leaves into bags and then used donkeys to
transport the drugs through muddy red clay to a makeshift laboratory nearby.

At the laboratory next to the river, police stood in a foot-high blanket of
coca leaves as they gave an impromptu news conference. Then they ignited 50
pounds of dynamite, sending a gigantic fireball of black smoke into the
sweltering air.

Police took Wellstone to another site, where they wanted him to get off the
helicopter to watch another explosion destroy a runway used by drug
traffickers. Wellstone declined, saying he was running behind schedule, but
he caught a glimpse of the smoke from the helicopter.

Costain said that she was offended by the entire display.

"I felt like the senator's visit was used as a public-relations ploy for
the eradication program," she said. "And I think it's ironic because I'm
not at all confident that the senator supports the eradication program."

Later, Wellstone flew to Barrancabermeja, becoming the first member of
Congress to visit what embassy officials called the most dangerous city in
Colombia. Under heavy security, he met with human-rights groups who said
the Colombian government is doing nothing to protect civilians from the
drug war, which is resulting in large-scale massacres and record
kidnappings.

As Wellstone returns to the United States today, he said he will try to
insist that Colombia gets no more U.S. aid unless it improves its human
rights record.

"My father fled persecution from Russia," said Wellstone, a member of the
Senate Foreign Relations Committee. "I believe in human rights for people
more than anything."

Rob Hotakainen can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

(c) Copyright 2000 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

Sanho Tree                               202/234-9382 ext. 266 (voice)
Director, Drug Policy Project            202/387-7915 (fax)
Institute for Policy Studies             202/494-8004 (mobile)
733 15th St., NW, #1020                  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Washington, DC 20005                     http://www.ips-dc.org