-Caveat Lector-

> It's no wonder their Whig political ideals were so resolute and
> far-reaching -- a one-night bender with these 18th century heroes would
> likely kill the effete, Volvo driving, wine-spritzer drinking New Englander
> of today. In the company of men who loved to read and hear speeches,
> drinking and ideas were explored in deep and varied ways.

The writer obviously is not familiar with New England, but only with Fairfield and
Litchfield Counties in
Connecticut (both "bedroom communities" of NYC), or is mistaking the leaf-peeping and
ski-bum tourists from
the south and west of New England with the citizens thereof.  Volvos, wine-spritzers,
and effetism are
definitely NOT the norm for the rank-and-file citizens of all 6 New England states,
and once you get away from
the big cities you will find shotgun-toting, pickup-driving rednecks (of both sexes)
are the norm...

> "Demon rum" was the most enjoyed (and the most lamented) drink of the time.
> It was the largest manufactured product north of the Pennsylvania. In fact,
> British controls on money made rum a currency used to pay for goods. Rum
> became the smuggler's contraband of choice and the instigator of America's
> hatred for taxes and love for freedom.

Yeah, yeah...SOME of us remember our elementary-school history, being taught about the
'slave triangle':
slaves from Africa brought into the Caribbean to work the sugar fields to export
molasses to New England,
which then made rum for local consumption, but more importantly to export back to
Europe, etc. etc.

> High-seas daring and creative bribes reduced British trade regulation to
> nothing. British efforts to get a piece of this action with unlawful
> sea-courts, fines, and the elimination of trial by jury helped ignite the
> Molotov cocktail of revolution.

No, what really ignited the revolution was the Stamp Act...

> Honoring such men means remembering the earthy and soaring qualities that
> defined that generation. Men who showed how liberty and virtue lift up man
> to unparalleled vistas and unequaled accomplishments; and men who knew that
> in a free republic Joe Sixpack would come to be as much the image and
> stalwart arm of patriotism as any picture of Uncle Sam.

The majority of the men who supported a rebellion against England did NOT do so from
any high and mighty
ideals of 'liberty' (as presented by the author of this post) or 'virtue', but rather
out of practical
circumstance of caring for their own pocketbook.

While the 'stout yeomen' quoted by Adams may have objected to someone sent over from
England by Parliament to
enumerate their chattle, they had no problem with a local neighbor elected by their
town council doing the
same thing...remember the 'no taxation without representation' thing?

So it was not so much a matter of 'freedom', but rather choosing to be enslaved by a
local master than one far
away...

June