-Caveat Lector-

Newsmax-Inside Cover

Saturday, Dec. 9, 2000 11:10 a.m. EST

Whitewater Pardons Part of Clinton-McDougal Deal?

President Clinton is considering pardons for two Whitewater
witnesses who protected him during the six-year probe into the
failed land deal by the same name - fullfilling a promise that
his former Whitewater business partner says he made in 1996.

 Presidential pardons could be granted soon to Susan McDougal and
Webster Hubbell, the New York Times reported Saturday - two
figures who went to jail rather than implicate him in Whitewater
crimes to former independent counsel Kenneth Starr.

 The pardon for Susan McDougal would be part of a long-delayed
deal allegedly agreed to by the president in 1996, according to
her late husband Jim, who recounted a conversation between
Clinton and himself to author Curtis Wilkie for his biography,
"Arkansas Mischief."

 CLINTON: I hope you're doing well.

MCDOUGAL: We're having a hard time. This [investigation] has gone
on for years.

 CLINTON: I know.

 MCDOUGAL: I'm willing to stick with it, but if it doesn't work
out, or whatever, can you pardon Susan?

 CLINTON: You can depend on that.

 In April 1997, after Jim McDougal switched sides and began
cooperating with Starr, he told the New York Daily News he had
smoking gun proof of Clinton's pardon promise.

 The News reported at the time:

 "He's just got done calling President Clinton and his wife
Hillary liars and detailing some of the dirt he's spilled to
Whitewater counsel Ken Starr, when he slips in a bombshell -
Clinton promised to pardon him when they met at the White House
last year.

 "Don't believe him? 'I've got it on tape,' he claims with a
smirk, never letting on if he really means it or is just playing
a game."

 In March 1998 McDougal died in prison, before any pardon for his
wife - or the mysterious pardon tape - materialized.

 Five months ago, Susan McDougal told NewsMax.com that although
she was now in dire financial straits, she's had no help of any
kind from the White House. "I have never been helped by any
Clinton person or Clinton emissary," she claimed after an address
to the American Bar Association.

 In January 1999, one-time Clinton political guru Dick Morris
revealed the president once worried that Whitewater probers would
ask him about his alleged affair with Susan McDougal, something
her husband also claimed.

 "In May of 1996, Bill Clinton called me into the residence of
the White House," Morris told Fox News Channel's "Hannity &
Colmes."

 "And he said, 'I'm about to testify in the Jim Guy Tucker
trial.' And he asked me - he said, 'I am worried. What happens if
they ask me under oath whether I had sex with Susan McDougal or
not.' "

 "And I didn't ask him, 'Did you have sex with Susan McDougal?' I
just replied, 'If you had sex with her, admit it. Tell the truth.
You won't win [the 1996 election] by 17 points. You'll win by 10
points. But you'll win. The one thing, sir, I beg you, is don't
commit perjury because then nobody can help you.' "

 Morris said Clinton's worries proved unfounded. Whitewater
prosecutors never asked him whether he ever had sex with his
former Whitewater business partner.

Mrs. McDougal has since remarried and has repeatedly denied any
Clinton affair.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>