-Caveat Lector-

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3a341b9f6f53.htm

December 10, 2000

THE UNVEILING
Behind the Political Curtain
By NEAL GABLER
THINGS used to be simpler in America. You could go to a movie
and marvel at the special effects without knowing exactly how they
were achieved. You could read about your favorite celebrities
without wallowing in the lurid details of their personal lives. You
could hear of a political accomplishment without knowing the
machinations behind it or the depredations of the officials who
effected it. In a sense, we lived in blissful ignorance.
Sometime after World War II, all that began to change. In an era of
postwar disillusionment, the ignorance and innocence gradually
gave way to hard-boiled skepticism. Over the last 50 years,
journalists began peeling back the layers and fully revealing the
people and institutions in which Americans placed their faith. What
they found underneath wasn't pretty — namely, that so much of
what we cherished was a sham. Now, after the legal wrangling last
week in Florida, this long process of demystification may have
reached a kind of climax with the shattering of one of our last
illusions — that our vote, the source of democratic power, is pure.
This is no small matter. But it may have led to something more
important. By demystifying the vote, Americans have effected a
transfer of power from the traditional political realm, where the
franchise is what mattered, to the more amorphous cultural realm,
where what mattered most was seeing things without illusions,
even the illusion that the electoral process was sacred.
Before this final epiphany, Americans had discovered that they had
been the victims of a series of deceptions, which is what the
historian Daniel Boorstin was getting at back in 1961 when he
coined the term " pseudo-event" in his path-breaking book "The
Image." Pseudo-events were manipulations by public relations
operatives to gain public attention. They looked genuine, but were
confected, and, as Mr. Boorstin observed, quickly began to "flood
our consciousness." Movie premieres, award ceremonies, press
conferences — all were pseudo-events operating in the guise of
reality, and we had been the dupes.
Though this sort of deception was omnipresent in America, politics
was one of its main arenas. What we saw during a campaign was
a candidate addressing the faithful on the stump or engaged in
debate or answering voters' questions to show who he was and
what he thought. What we didn't see was that the faithful had been
bused in and prepped to cheer, the debate answers scripted and
the voters' questions screened. In fact, as late as 1968, it came as
a shock when Joe McGinniss revealed in "The Selling of the
President" that Richard M. Nixon's presidential campaign had been
stage- managed by media advisers not to show who Nixon was but
to conceal who he was.
STILL, the demystification of politics may have been harder for
Americans to accept than the demystification of Hollywood or
athletics. It wasn't that they were deluded enough to believe the
system was pristine. They knew about the old Pendergast machine
in Kansas City and Tammany Hall in New York. They knew, too,
about Teapot Dome, where corruption invaded the inner sanctums
of the White House and the Capitol. But these were regarded as
abuses of the system, not endemic to it. Americans clung to the
belief that the system was sound and democracy inviolate. They
even believed their leaders were generally decent and honorable
men, statesmen rather than hacks, which is why the president
nearly always topped the list of the most respected people in the
nation.
But in an atmosphere of demystification, even this belief could
withstand only so many blows before it began to crumble. The
whacks came swiftly and often: the scandals of the Truman
administration; Eisenhower aide Sherman Adams receiving gifts,
including a vicuna coat, from a lobbyist; the swindles of Lyndon B.
Johnson's crony, Billy Sol Estes; allegations of banking violations
against Jimmy Carter's budget head Bert Lance; the Abscam
scandals in which congressmen were trapped in an F.B.I. sting;
the conviction of Dan Rostenkowski, powerful head of the House
Ways and Means Committee, for misusing federal funds and
padding his payroll, to name only a few on a long, long list.

And graft was the least of it. One could always understand the
temptations of lucre. It was more difficult to excuse the weakness
of the flesh, in part because it had always been carefully hidden
from public scrutiny through a sort of gentleman's agreement
between the press and the politicians. When it was finally revealed,
it arrived not as high tragedy but as low comedy. Wilbur Mills, a
predecessor of Mr. Rostenkowski as Ways and Means chairman,
was found to have had a drunken frolic with an Argentine stripper
named Fanne Foxe; Representative Wayne Hays, chairman of the
House Administration Committee, was found to have had an affair
with a staff member named Elizabeth Ray, who admitted her
secretarial skills did not include typing, filing or even answering the
phone; and the Democratic presidential aspirant Senator Gary Hart
was found to have had a dalliance with a pretty young woman on a
yacht aptly named Monkey Business. Once the wall of silence fell,
demystification proceeded apace. We learned of Franklin D.
Roosevelt's relationship with Lucy Mercer, Dwight D. Eisenhower's
alleged relationship with a military aide, Kate Sommersby, and
John F. Kennedy's with several coquettes including, if rumors were
believed, Marilyn Monroe. By the time Bill Clinton's relationship
with Monica Lewinsky was revealed, it wasn't a break with the
past. It was a confirmation.
One effect of these revelations, and one reason they were so
devoured by the public, was that in lifting the scales from our eyes
they served to empower us. No longer were we credulous. In a kind
of national "Blue Velvet," Americans not only saw the ugly realities
beneath the bright veneer of politics, just as they had come to see
the realities under the shiny veneers of almost everything else in
American life, they felt a superiority over them because they were
finally in on the game. This wising up was not necessarily a bad
thing. They were seeing things more cynically, perhaps, but also
more realistically.
THAT sense of empowerment may explain the seeming obsession
in America today with pulling back the curtain and revealing the
wizard there. Magazines like People and Vanity Fair, gossip
columns, cable television shows and, above all, the Internet, are all
largely dedicated to taking the public behind the scenes. Politics,
again, has been a major target of the deconstruction. Indeed, one
could make the case that political coverage was now primarily
concerned with stagecraft and back-room deal making, presumably
because that is what the audience wanted to know. As a result,
from a situation in which there had been the manipulators and the
gulled, the media had now made everyone an insider.
But revelation had another effect. It not only demystified; it also
delegitimized. It was difficult to unmask the depravities of the
leaders of a system without undermining the legitimacy of the
system itself. How could one feel respect for the congressional
leadership when one now knew so many were grafters or
hypocrites? How could one feel the same way about the dignity of
the office of the presidency knowing what Bill Clinton had done in
that office with Monica Lewinsky? Idealism falls hard, but it does
fall.
Still, there had always remained one beacon of hope and belief: the
election process itself. Whatever our political leaders did, however
much our political institutions may have been compromised, the
ultimate authority rested with the people through the exercise of
the vote. The vote was holy. When one entered the voting booth
with a pencil (or, as we now know, a stylus), pulled the curtain and
cast a ballot, one was entering the real cathedral of democracy.
Here it was simple again. You made your choice. Your choice was
registered. The candidate with the most votes took office. The
Republic endured.

Then came Florida. Whatever else the electoral fracas there has
done, it has helped demystify this last redoubt of American political
idealism by demonstrating that not even voting was as sacrosanct
as we believed just a few weeks ago. It wasn't just that we learned
about undervotes and overvotes, which essentially meant your vote
wasn't registered at all, or about hanging chads, pregnant chads,
dimpled chads and chads à la mode. It was that despite the
Democrats' declarations that they were making their challenges to
uphold the sanctity of the vote and the Republicans' declarations
that they were opposing recounts to uphold the sanctity of election
law, the entire voting process was exposed as being hostage to
partisans who cared little for anything but winning. If Florida's
secretary of state had been a Democrat, Vice President Al Gore
would now be president-elect. On the other hand, if the canvassing
boards of Palm Beach and Broward counties were Republican,
Gov. George W. Bush would probably have been certified president-
elect without a recount. It all depended on which partisans had the
advantage.
Knowing all this has demystified the vote, and the effect has been
the same as in other demystifications — a new sense of power
over those who had deceived the public. When you hear people say
the Florida vote is all "just politics" or that they are tired of it and
just want it to stop, what they mean is that they have finally seen
the process for what it is and are no longer in thrall to it. They feel,
in effect, that they are better than it is.
The power of demystification is that it serves as the great
equalizer. Demystification of the vote, then, sapped legitimacy from
the political process and put it into being in the know — another
kind of empowerment, the kind that said we were too smart to get
fooled again.
In this way the electoral process itself has been both demystified
as just another hoax and delegitimized, so that whoever becomes
president cannot possibly be a symbol of our idealism. Rather, he
will be the one whose party managed to work the system better.
That is where 50 years of revelation and cynicism has brought us
— to the point where the presidential election has become the
biggest pseudo-event of all and power resides not in the electoral
system but in those who feel they have the perspicacity to see
through it.

--

Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The
possession of arms is the distinction of a free