-Caveat Lector-

At the risk of publishing something on the list relevant to conspiracy theory:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0012/14/world/world4.html

http://leviathan.weblogs.com

Execute me, pleads Oklahoma bomber

Timothy McVeigh, who was sentenced to death for the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, has
asked a Federal judge to halt any appeals made on his behalf and set an execution date
soon.

"I believe I am fully competent to make this decision," McVeigh wrote in an affidavit
released on Tuesday at the United States District Court in Denver. "If the court
thinks that a psychological evaluation is necessary to make certain I am competent, I
will submit to such an evaluation.

"I will not justify or explain my decision to any psychologist, but will answer
questions related to my competency."

McVeigh, who acknowledged he made the request against the advice of his lawyers, asked
that US District Judge Richard Matsch set an execution date in the next 120 days.

Defence lawyer Nathan Chambers said McVeigh had been considering dropping his appeals
for some time.

"This is not a snap decision," Mr Chambers said. "The judge is going to want to make a
determination that Mr McVeigh's decision is a decision he made voluntarily and
knowingly."

The 32-year-old former soldier was convicted of the April 19, 1995, truck bombing of
the Alfred P.Murrah Federal building in Oklahoma City that killed 168 people and
injured 500 others. A day-care centre in the building was destroyed in the attack,
which was the worst act of terrorism on American soil.

McVeigh has twice appealed his 1997 conviction and death sentence. The US Supreme
Court in March 1999 let McVeigh's conviction stand. His most recent appeal to the US
District Court contended he did not receive a fair trial. Judge Matsch rejected the
appeal in October without a hearing.

Since the last appeal was denied, McVeigh instructed his lawyers not to pursue any
further appeals, Mr Chambers said. McVeigh's waiver only extends to his right to
appeal within the court system. He still has the right to petition for executive
clemency.

McVeigh is being held in a high-security jail in Terre Haute, Indiana, the nation's
newest Federal death row. Prisoners convicted under the 1994 Federal death penalty
statute are to be executed by lethal injection.

No hearing date has been set for the judge to consider McVeigh's request.

Los Angeles Times